The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Topic.

@Lee

Well, I'll believe the experts rather than the so-called Prime Minister as I for one haven't had enough of them ;) 

An overwhelming majority of doctors fear the NHS is not well prepared to deal with a major outbreak of coronavirus, a survey has found.

More than 99% of 1,618 NHS medics questioned appear not to agree with the assurances given by Boris Johnson that the service will cope if it is hit by a surge in the number of people falling ill.

Doctors are worried that the NHS is already stretched and under heavy pressure, and especially that it has too few intensive care beds and that GP surgeries are struggling to meet patient demand.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/mar/02/coronavirus-just-eight-out-of-1600-doctors-in-poll-say-nhs-is-ready

Scanning temperatures at airports will detect anyone with a higher than normal temperature, it will not detect anyone carrying the virus that are not ill. Some people can carry and spread a virus without ever becoming ill. 

• Like 3

This is a little eye-opening. It's from a TED talk in 2014 entitled '8 ways the world could suddenly end'. It's not to be taken as "absolute" of course, but it was mentioned 6 years ago exactly this thing might unfold as it has done.  

• Like 2

To put things into perspective:

According to the World health organisation around 8 million people around the world die each year from smoking, but some people think it's a good idea to smoke.

1.3 million people die on the roads, but we still drive cars. 

• Like 1

Some numbers on the coronavirus:

Active cases 41,495

Mild condition 34,097 (82%)

Serious or critical 7,398 (18%)

Closed cases 48,813

Recovered 45,726 (94%)

Died 3,087 (6%)

• Like 1

There's a diagram out there somewhere that shows that China has generally only detect the very serious and ultimately fatal cases, whereas in Europe we have detected not only the  serious cases, but also many of the more mild ones. This has led China to show a possible bias in the mortality rate of the virus. I don't think it changes things too much, it's still very dangerous and it's transmission rate is good enough to offset the fact it's percentage of deaths is a little lower than many other dangerous viruses. 

8 hours ago, gadgetman said:

What if your family are part of that chunk. Still happy? 

I can think of much worse ways for members of my family to die, so yes, still happy.

• Sad 2

Currently waiting in Surgery for my appointment in 3 hours time the Gestapo known as the Receptionist didn’t want me to wait but I explained I feel like I could collapse at any moment having had another sleepless night with heavy coughing and still running a high temperature.

After coughing too many times whilst waiting in the Surgery the Receptionist asked me to go home and ring 111 who will probably tell me to self isolate for 2 weeks when I just want some medication (antibiotics). Obvious now what was discussed in the Cobra meeting yesterday over react to anyone turning up with flu and the more honest you are with them the more likely they won't help you.

This thread and the 'Do you use cash' thread could be relevant to each other.

Germs are passed with the exchange of money / notes, but the ATM's will likely be the cause of much spreading of a virus like coronavirus if it is going to spread in the UK.

Don't panic, stay calm, as you are.   Take an example from Boris.  Easy ozzy.  

12 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

This thread and the 'Do you use cash' thread could be relevant to each other.

Germs are passed with the exchange of money / notes, but the ATM's will likely be the cause of much spreading of a virus like coronavirus if it is going to spread in the UK.

Don't panic, stay calm, as you are.   Take an example from Boris.  Easy ozzy.  

One of my German colleagues called this morning regarding a couple of jobs we have coming up in Europe soon and asked me if I was OK to travel. He then said that his local supermarket had sold out of toilet paper yesterday, so he thinks that a lot of people are about to poop themselves. 

11 minutes ago, moley said:

One of my German colleagues called this morning regarding a couple of jobs we have coming up in Europe soon and asked me if I was OK to travel. He then said that his local supermarket had sold out of toilet paper yesterday, so he thinks that a lot of people are about to poop themselves. 

Sound like they are preparing for 14 days of isolation.

• Like 1

It is all a load of sh1te and bile and boak when you come down to the nitty gritty of it.

I have had the Flu twice in my life and wished i could die and thought the torture would never end.

Not heard much about this winters flu in the UK. I get my flu jag ASAP each year now.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

Some unbelievable and highly idiotic comments on this thread from some posters.

I suffered a bout of viral pneumonia a year ago, caught from the briefest contact with a catholic saints religious relic during a church mass. In hindsight, my stupidity,  when all and sundry were kissing this thing and a cursory wipe with the same cloth was pathetic hygiene practice.

I was not hospitalised, but it was the most horrible experience of my life, I really did think I was going to die.  Only had that feeling once before in my life. Powerful antibiotics made no difference whatsover. As I was on my own at home, I resorted to frequently hanging upside to aid coughing out masses of phlegm and liquid, the only way I could temporarily restore some lung function. Took a month to recover.

If Wino is happy to see members of his family die, then he has a totally warped and perverted mind.

Comparisons with lung cancer and road accidents is also stupid. You do not CHOOSE to catch influenza. Up to 70% of the UK population catch seasonal infuenza which has a mortality rate over 500 times lower

UK's Chief medical officer today stated that he expects 1% of those who catch Covid-19 could die. WHO pegs it at around 2.3%. Government is preparing for possible 500,000 deaths in the UK.

Think about those figures.....

Governments all around the world are frantically activating emergency measures, its that serious. Its not just seasonal flu, its at the level of Spanish flu .

Lots of anecdotal reports of massive numbers of deaths on Iran, even if exaggerated, it was indicate that warm weather is no barrier to this virus as it would be for seasonal flu

As for Shy, I really think he is really very stupid and highly irresponsible. Anyone with half a brain cell would know that antobiotics are of no use for flu and colds. And going to his surgery shows his complete lack of intelligence.

South korea is investigating the Church Leader that deliberately ignored advice and is responsible for the massive outbreak there. They want to charge him with murder and violation of public disease control acts.

Hopefully if Shy is diagnosed, which he should be as a matter of urgency, he will also be held responsible for his actions.

Enjoy your bout of pneunomia, Shy.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, xman said:

Some unbelievable and highly idiotic comments on this thread from some posters.......Enjoy your bout of pneunomia, Shy.

I believe your 1st statement chimes with your latter. Unless of course you're kidding. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Wino said:

My mother, bless her, is pushing 80 - and last practised as a nurse probably about 35 years ago - has decided that she might be called up by the government as a 'recently retired health worker' to help deal with the crisis.  Didn't have the heart to ask "are you serious?" 'cos I genuinely wasn't sure whether she was just fooling around or not...

Aah, but wait until they do ask her to come out of retirement to help.............

Then you'll be asking them "are you serious"...........

21 hours ago, Mexico75 said:

Uk is still not screening people as they enter the country. I've visited around 7 countries since the outbreak started and most of them at least make you walk past a thermal camera at passport control. Came through Manchester this morning from India and nothing.

So you're doing your bit to spread it around then...........

@xman gives me an unhelpful arrow,

maybe because he must think me wishing i could die while i had the flu and the fact i could have died as he might have are different things.

?

What are the UK's deaths from winter flu so far this winter?   

Have there been figures given yet?

My mums 95 this month, i have a feeling she will be at my funeral before i am at hers.