The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Topic.

@Lee

As I am planning a trip to recover my Octavia I have been watching this subject closely, never for one moment did I expect the soundbite "quarantine" to mean anything more than giving them an address where you pretend that you will be staying and self isolating for 14 days, they never were going to deny visitors (abuse of) the freedom that UK citizens have due to inadequate legislation, maybe they will get it right when the second wave arrives.

My concern has always been the reciprocity imposed by the French government which would probably put me under house arrest and having meals delivered from the hospital on my return.

Anyone crazy enough to visit the UK (me!) at present would only go out for extreme emergencies.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 2

To be honest let's all just be greatful we're not in Brazil at the moment...

Edit:

Although I do agree either have Quarantine or don't bother.

This is potentially worrying, as those that usually go over an help are likely currently busy with COVID

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/10/new-case-ebola-two-days-set-announce-end-outbreak/

Edited by cheezemonkhai

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/02/uk-coronavirus-death-toll-nears-50000-latest-official-figures-show

UK coronavirus death toll passes 50,000, latest official figures show

Latest official figures confirm UK status as one of the world’s worst hit countries........  The UK reached a grim milestone in its battle with coronavirus on Tuesday, as the death toll surpassed 50,000 for the first time, according to official figures.  The tally comes 10 weeks after the nation went into lockdown and confirms Britain’s status as one of the world’s worst-hit countries by a pandemic.......The number of deaths registered in England and Wales with confirmed or suspected Covid-19 reached 44,401 by 22 May according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS), but when more recent figures from statistics authorities in Scotland and Northern Ireland and the NHS are added in, the tally hits 50,032.

20 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

To be honest let's all just be greatful we're not in Brazil at the moment...

Edit:

Although I do agree either have Quarantine or don't bother.

This is potentially worrying, as those that usually go over an help are likely currently busy with COVID

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/10/new-case-ebola-two-days-set-announce-end-outbreak/

Brazil not even in the top 20 yet in deaths per million but probably will be there soon.  Colleague I have is from Sao Paula and must be worrying.

UK likely to pass Spain in number of death per million population in the next couple of days putting UK in to number 4 world wide... https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

48 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Brazil not even in the top 20 yet in deaths per million but probably will be there soon.  Colleague I have is from Sao Paula and must be worrying.

UK likely to pass Spain in number of death per million population in the next couple of days putting UK in to number 4 world wide... https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Tbh I am more worried about Brazil, because it appears certain people are in denial still.

It's an almost certainty that every country will get a second wave, but the situation worries me, because there are a lot of people, who if they don't die (Which in itself would be terrible) will provide the disease with somewhere to build up and hide.

That means the second waves could be much larger than they might otherwise be. Obviously plenty of factors can affect that, but it's not ideal for the people there who could well die or for anyone in the world.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
Typo and clarification

Loosening lockdown is a political decision. All this is now on Johnson. Like I said last week.

And then there's this

And if that wasn't bad enough.......... 

• Like 1

On 31/05/2020 at 21:45, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@VWD I never miss taking my Atenolol and my Ramipril.

I'd add my list, but it'd be as long as war & peace.

On 01/06/2020 at 12:18, Aspman said:

I hope everyone in England realises they are being sacrificed to get businesses running again and to get Boris' buddies share options and dividends back up to where they want them?

I can only guess that they are banking on everyone being so happy to be let out and being bored of covid-19 news that they'll ignore the inevitable second wave. Or maybe they are assuming the majority of the vulnerable are already dead so the numbers won't be so bad in the coming few weeks.

I saw a very cynical post of FB yesterday about how it's not about containment, but the ability of the NHS to cope with a second wave now that Nightingale has had so few patients. As for the warnings to the vulnerable.Daughter (Asthmatic has  had a letter), grand son, also Asthmatic  had had been refused access to his special needs school. Eldest son, Asthmatic is working from home, without any letter from doctor. Me, 70+ with type 2 and hypertension and Swimbo 69 have had no letters ,save for one asking if she still smokes. Common factor- daughter has one doctor, son/me/Swimbo have another. Oh, sorry, I did get a letter telling me I needed a medication review, but the review according to my paperwork is not needed for a few months as discussed some months ago with the diabetic nurse. I'm wondering if my surgery needs a medical review to advise the front office about the relative positions of the buttocks and the elbow, so that they can tell the difference.

Boris was rattled again at PMQ's. 

He will need to learn that trying to be nasty as a retort will not work.

He is incompetent and a danger.   Not that you would think so if you read the Daily Express, according to them it will always be the opposition that was humiliated.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Proud?! What the absolute chuff has he got to be 'proud' about? Failed at every step.

10 times less deaths than the most conservative estimate for if no measures had been taken?

Not that anyone would know if the estimates would have proved to be true.

And the measures have simply slowed down the spread, the numbers still rise.

Given that the measures were minimal in the UK, enforcement virtually nil, and ignored by many, the numbers compared to other countries are surprisingly low to me and it could mean that there will not be the dreaded second wave (I sincerely hope not) and the numbers never would have reached those predicted regardless of how well the UK government has or hasn't handled the pandemic.

3 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

£17.35 an hour per shift is OK for Contact & Trace employees.

Will that be 25,000 currently employed?

Plus all the others in the teams.

Becky should have been watching Selling Sunset about people selling expensive homes in California. On Netflix it is very amusing watching young attractive woman stab each other in the back when they are not present.:biggrin:

• Haha 1

Baroness Dido Harding is talking to the Health Committee just now.

She will have all the figures to hand. All the Horses and Riders. 

Well lets hope the system is as good as betting shops can do stuff.

PS

She has data, just not validated.  Give no answers tell no lies, the quality of the data is not good enough.

'As long as the quality of the data is good enough'.  she might have that out of date data next week.

PPS

Don't ask her stuff you need to ask the 'Medical Experts' or for numbers / data,

because in her understanding she is just there for the money...

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

Daily Briefing, and Dozy Boris has had his meds, things all going a bit slow between ears brain and mouth. 

Drug testing seems to be what is needed, test and trace where the Prime Ministers meds come from.

Toni from Manchester asked about her and her husband going back to work but there is no child care, what can they do.

Boris is stumped, because he has no plan, she has to look at the furlough scheme, look here look there, look everywhere, 

but dont ask Boris stupid questions he is just the man at the top, and going to lead everyone safely down the other side.

PS

Actually after Robert Peston finally gets his question out everyone needs their bed.

Guest BigJase88

Gave up watching the daily briefing weeks ago.

I watch the chase at 5pm, much better viewing 😎

On 31/05/2020 at 18:37, Arkaig said:

Seems Dominic Cummings is not a stranger to breaking a rule or two using his instinct ... 

CUMMINGS “SPARE COTTAGE” WITHOUT PLANNING PERMISSION AND PAYS NO COUNCIL TAX

https://universalcreditsuffer.com/2020/05/31/cummings-spare-cottage-without-planning-permission-and-pays-no-council-tax/

Dominic Cummings's Durham cottage plans investigated

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-52911605

• Like 4

Sobering especially as lockdown has all but gone.
Deaths among ~ 450 million people in one day:  314 
Deaths among ~66 million people in one day: 359
Caveats in video

I will have a wee look later at Alok Sharma MP's register of members interests and see if as the Business, Energy & Industry Secretary of State he gets anything like the donations from people and businesses in the Pharmaceutical Industry or in the Horse Racing Industry as Matt Hanock MP has in 2014 and since including in 2019.

Lots of Conservative & Unionists get financial support to run for positions in the party or just to help run their offices from people where there can be conflicts of interest.

http://independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-minister-lines-up-with-racing-royalty-against-new-homes-9673862.html

http://gov.uk/government/people/matthew-hancock

http://globaljustice.org.uk/news/2020/apr/16/open-letter-uk-government-make-covid-19-vaccine-affordable-all

Why Baroness Dido Harding is doing the job she is now, and if she is the right person to be doing it seems to be a question that Boris and Matt will be getting asked and need to give answers for.

1 hour ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Why Baroness Dido Harding is doing the job she is now, and if she is the right person to be doing it seems to be a question that Boris and Matt will be getting asked and need to give answers for.

I think we all know the answer to that....

• Like 1