The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Topic.

@Lee

A few versions of these graphs kicking around but it looks like currently the UK is following  the curve of Italy/Spain rather than France/US and a line which shows Korea and other Asian countries are much shallower than these lines.   UK government very slow to learn and react to this pandemic.  

Slow in bringing in isolation and hence the consequence....... 

Just to point out below is not a linear scale but a logrithmic one, for those of use who use to use slide rules before electronic calculators, the real proportional graph is exponential but this is where logs are very useful............. 

Image result for sophy ridge- graph of number of death from corona virus

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

self isolating becoming a little difficult  with TESCO AND ASDA not doing ANY home deliveries upto and beyond APRIL 12

How about Click and Collect which is what I have been using for the last month since I had my Sciatic nerve episode ?

They all should be scaling this up to ten times the current capacity and even shutting the main super market.

Not sure about organizing old people and health workers to have a shopping hour, surely this is putting the most high risk people in with what are probably the most likely to be infectious ??? 

No Click and Collect bookable in the next 3 weeks at Tescos Worcester so need to edit my Tuesday slot to max out to the maximum 3 items if I can and treble up if I can and keep monitoring the situation.

Might go ahead and have a look at my local COOP as I still have a £5 voucher from my Divvy, if there is anything left to buy !

Hope my kids get some of these tens of thousands of distribution jobs going as the supply chain is clearly in melt down at the moment.

24 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

How about Click and Collect which is what I have been using for the last month since I had my Sciatic nerve episode ?

They all should be scaling this up to ten times the current capacity and even shutting the main super market.

Not sure about organizing old people and health workers to have a shopping hour, surely this is putting the most high risk people in with what are probably the most likely to be infectious ??? 

Same Dates as home delivery ,nothing ,zilch,f.all....had an order accepted on the 16 March for 26 March delivery minus loo rolls so was hoping for an early April slot /****......legs crossed

Edited by Sad555
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

and even shutting the main super market. This would cause a MASSIVE PANIC

However I totally agree with your last sentence..............seems a very well intention'd idea by a very short sighted person / people, imo. 

4 hours ago, lol-lol said:

I gather anti inflammatory drugs are not recommended if C19 is suspected ? 

Sadly paracetamol has quintupled in price and in short supply in addition to the 32 tablet per purchaser limit.

WHO updated guidance for Ibuprofen

Patients who have confirmed COVID-19, or believe they have COVID-19, should take paracetamol in preference to ibuprofen.

Those currently advised to use ibuprofen by their healthcare professional should not stop using them.

There is some debate suggesting NSAIDs may increase complications from simple acute respiratory infections or slow recovery. The product information of many NSAIDs already contains warnings that their anti-inflammatory effects may hide the symptoms of a worsening infection. However the evidence is not conclusive.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/ibuprofen-use-and-covid19coronavirus

13 minutes ago, Tilt said:

However I totally agree with your last sentence..............seems a very well intention'd idea by a very short sighted person / people, imo. 

Indeed.  Click and collect, and even giving a written list for those few without internet, needs to be in place before supermarket shut down.

10 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Wishy washy stance.

9 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Wishy washy stance.

There was a doctor on the radio a few days ago who answered the same question. The advice was that there appears to be some evidence that using ibuprofen if you have Covid-19 using ibuprofen could make it worse, however this is not proven. The current advice is to use paracetamol if you have Covid - 19. If you are using ibuprofen on medical advice you should keep taking it and consult your doctor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, moley said:

There was a doctor on the radio a few days ago who answered the same question. The advice was that there appears to be some evidence that using ibuprofen if you have Covid-19 using ibuprofen could make it worse, however this is not proven. The current advice is to use paracetamol if you have Covid - 19. If you are using ibuprofen on medical advice you should keep taking it and consult your doctor. 

I swallowed enough capsules, lemsip drinks and paracetamol/ibuprofen tablets to stock an average pharmacist and nothing helped lower the fever and drank 2 bottles of cough mixture which also had zero effect on the virus. My advice is drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.

Tesco down my way advertised via social media,  that they would open the doors to NHS card holder staff an hour before normal opening time, to let them get their essentials, today for this Sunday only.

All reports are they had no one on the doors and the usual crowds just got let in earlier than normal. There were no checks at the tills to see if any of them had an NHS card; total farce.

Edited by Defenderben
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, moley said:

Having been on super sized doses of anti-inflammatory medicine due to my sciatic nerve issue I am glad to off them now.  

Needed to keep taking paracetamol for joint pain but it is easy to take up to 8 or 10 a day so 32 does not last long.  

6 hours ago, Defenderben said:

Were they healthy before or had underlying health issues?

Some healthy, some with common comorbidities that were well controlled. They are all what most people would term "fit and well".

5 hours ago, lol-lol said:

I gather anti inflammatory drugs are not recommended if C19 is suspected ? 

Sadly paracetamol has quintupled in price and in short supply in addition to the 32 tablet per purchaser limit.

There are reports of ibuprofen worsening the disease course. The effects haven't been studied properly so currently advice is to avoid if you can and take paracetamol instead.

• Thanks 1

Driving tests cancelled for up to three months except for key workers.  MOTs for lorries, buses and trailers are also suspended for up to 3 months.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-tests-and-mots-for-heavy-vehicles-suspended-for-up-to-3-months-to-help-tackle-spread-of-coronavirus

Travelling to Scottish Islands by ferries now a no no if just for a jolly or wee day or 2 out & you do not live or work there.

Maybe that will include crossing the Skye Bridge.  Not heard that though...

Staying in Hotels and B&B's appears to now be for people that need to be there for good reasons. 

But that's not an easy one to sort out. 

9 minutes ago, wiilydog said:

glad Sainsbury's  are doing something to look after NHS staff

I hope it works better than at this Tesco store. People are idiots and the Government 'guidelines' are obviously not working.
Tougher measures are needed now to stop this carp.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-tesco-shoppers-fight-crush-21733637

13 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

I hope it works better than at this Tesco store. People are idiots and the Government 'guidelines' are obviously not working.
Tougher measures are needed now to stop this carp.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-tesco-shoppers-fight-crush-21733637

I guess that is the big Tesco store at Burnt Tree Island.

Most stores appear to have some form of rationing, but I would like to see stores have set times for only the NHS / critical workers and the elderly, with the army out front to make sure that they can shop in peace.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lol-lol said:

An email from Sainsburys this morning says that they will be open for NHS workers between 7:30 and 8am every day, but for older/vulnerable people between 8 and 9am on Monday, Wednesday & Friday so they are maintaining a separation.

• Like 3

It doesn’t appear to be happening any time soon and the supermarkets handling I think is pretty poor by allowing so many shoppers to buy as much as they want,and with couples having a trolly each but pretending to be single to get double,a local m & s opened for the oldies but they were pushed aside by young uns and the police had to be called,plenty of people could be hired for security,supermarkets will sell all they can get so a bit of control by them would be welcome to allow everybody some food and stop the greedy shoppers

Edited by Sad555
  • Like 2