Seat bolster split/worn ‘17 Vrs

Has anyone had trouble with their seat bolster leather splitting/wearing?
 Mine has been refused warranty today saying it’s war and tear? 
 The car is under 3 years old and 30000 miles. 

The dealer said they have seen 3 or 4 recently and they have all been refused warranty 

836B1BDE-62AD-4833-AA76-669F0EC211B9.jpeg

9D5F6873-E3F8-47EE-96A3-D69E2194CF89.jpeg

There must be a change of leather manufacture as mine is a 65 plate and showing no sign of wear. I would raise a complaint with skoda UK. If the car is financed, speak with the company as the car belongs to them. They should chase it up as they hold a vested interest in the car.

Thanks ecomatt.

I have sent off an email with some photos. Raising a complaint.   Think you are right. Our 64 reg superb seats are made of a far higher quality leather. 

That's pretty poor.  

I had half leather on my old rover and those seats had seen in excess of £120k miles and were perfect.

In fact, I bought a passenger seat of the same design about 14 years ago from a scrap yard and made it into my desk chair...  and that still has no wear.  

Unless it's been damaged by something, personally I'd say that's unreasonable.

Mine are a little younger than those shown and perfect, but it is a worry that they might go.

I've always said if anything did happen to them I'd stump up silly money and go to somewhere like Seat Surgeons and have some full leather fitted.

I wonder if, as above, the possibility of damage is what is causing a stop on a warranty claim.

Whereas you wouldn't expect this to happen naturally, a rivet from jeans, pen left in the back pocket - something external of the seat causing the initial damage which is then only going to get worse with use?

The problem will probably be that the "leather" isn't actually leather. If something hasnt ripped that though it's clearly not up to standard if it's breaking through normal usage at 3 years old. They can't honestly claim that seats are only supposed to last three years before requiring reupholstering.

I'm no expert but it looks like the material in the above photo has been damaged rather than worn.

Look at the rest of the material where it meets the stitching - that's lasted over 2yr and 30,000 miles and looks to be perfectly OK. Sorry, I have to agree with the garage.

I'm looking at the leather on the seat cushion - just wondering if you ever use proper leather cleaners and balm to recondition it? No leather will last if you don't look after it.

21 hours ago, Scot5 said:

I'm no expert but it looks like the material in the above photo has been damaged rather than worn.

Look at the rest of the material where it meets the stitching - that's lasted over 2yr and 30,000 miles and looks to be perfectly OK. Sorry, I have to agree with the garage.

I'm looking at the leather on the seat cushion - just wondering if you ever use proper leather cleaners and balm to recondition it? No leather will last if you don't look after it.

Agreed, it is damage from the seat belt. i've also had this on my previous car. The misses sits too far up front, so the seatbelt rubs against the chair.

To avoid this damage it' best to buy a seat belt protector.

9 hours ago, cr_2dman said:

Agreed, it is damage from the seat belt. i've also had this on my previous car. The misses sits too far up front, so the seatbelt rubs against the chair.

To avoid this damage it' best to buy a seat belt protector.

That sounds possible.  I will have a look tomorrow to see if it’s in the right place. Still a bit ****ed it’s happened thou.  I am waiting for a company to get back to me about fixing it.  And skoda Uk have phoned me up but I was unavailable so I will call them tomorrow afternoon. 

It may well be seat belt damage where the material has ripped, but I was also looking at the other area where the leather has been worn. Could a seat belt have caused that too?

663710654_vrsseat.jpeg.c81eb19c1ad9fed5f73ede0720843648.jpeg

Edited by Guest

I have just checked,   It’s not the seat belt. That’s much lower. 
  If it is wear and it’s not covered I will suck it up, but I have never had an issue before with my past cars.

The  skoda case manager was busy today when I phoned up.  Waiting for a call back.  
  Finding someone to fix it has been an issue so far.  We have a local Car re trimmers who won’t touch it as there an airbag in the seat and their machines are not certified for airbags! They will re skin the seat if I am able to get a new seat cover. ( not had that chat with skoda yet) 

Still waiting for one more company to get back to me. 

Thank you for all for your input so far. 

18 hours ago, moonwrasse said:

I have just checked,   It’s not the seat belt. That’s much lower. 
  If it is wear and it’s not covered I will suck it up, but I have never had an issue before with my past cars.

The  skoda case manager was busy today when I phoned up.  Waiting for a call back.  
  Finding someone to fix it has been an issue so far.  We have a local Car re trimmers who won’t touch it as there an airbag in the seat and their machines are not certified for airbags! They will re skin the seat if I am able to get a new seat cover. ( not had that chat with skoda yet) 

Still waiting for one more company to get back to me. 

Thank you for all for your input so far. 

The red stitched panel is leather, the side panels are plastic over the white liner base material and both are damaged. Theres quite a bit of wear and snagging on the stitching as well as creasing into the seat side panel of the seatback suggesting a lot of pressure onto that area of the seat. I'm guessing It will be worn from your clothes and hips as you get in and out particularly if you have studs present, stiff belt loops or a patterned belt you wear regularly. Also, are you well under 6 foot tall and the seat bolster is in line with or in front of the door pillar?

Next time you get in, stop half way and see what you are in contact with. Same when you get out.

Just had a call from Skoda. They are talking to the dealer to see what they can offer as a discount if any for a re skin....  Waiting for a call back on Tuesday. The warrantee period is 6 months/6000 miles for a seat. 
 I have had a price for a new skin from Houghtons skoda at £466. 
 Fitting extra @ 2 1/2 hours.  None in stock at the moment and could be at least 2 months till they are available 

You can download the new car warranty here:

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/warranty

After six months or 6,500 miles, wear and tear and mechanical adjustment items will not be accepted for warranty repairs unless a manufacturing defect can be identified by a member of the ŠKODA Authorised Network as the cause.

On 06/03/2020 at 11:21, Stoofa said:

You can download the new car warranty here:

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/warranty

After six months or 6,500 miles, wear and tear and mechanical adjustment items will not be accepted for warranty repairs unless a manufacturing defect can be identified by a member of the ŠKODA Authorised Network as the cause.

What I would say is that there is a grey area here,under normal conditions seat coverings should still be in good condition after 3 years or more.

But what is normal ? Just a case of sticking at it and not being fobbed off..

I am not saying in this particular case the damage whether the damage is covered by warranty or not,what I am saying is that Skoda can’t just put a blanket 6 month disclaimer on certain items.

What would you think if when you were looking at a new car the salesman said “ If you buy this be careful with the seats,they are only guaranteed for six months.”?

2 hours ago, *JP* said:

What I would say is that there is a grey area here,under normal conditions seat coverings should still be in good condition after 3 years or more.

I can't see anything grey about that statement. 

4 hours ago, *JP* said:

But what is normal ? Just a case of sticking at it and not being fobbed off..

I am not saying in this particular case the damage whether the damage is covered by warranty or not,what I am saying is that Skoda can’t just put a blanket 6 month disclaimer on certain items.

What would you think if when you were looking at a new car the salesman said “ If you buy this be careful with the seats,they are only guaranteed for six months.”?

Overly impressed no - but to be pedantic, the seats are covered for the full three years, the covers not.

So if they were falling apart then you're going to get replacement, but how can they offer a warranty for three years on covers - on average you're climbing in and out of the car twice a day, and if you're wearing jeans, clothing with studs - it really isn't their fault.

I don't have the time to do the research, but wouldn't be surprised to see the same clauses from other manufacturers.

1 hour ago, Scot5 said:

I can't see anything grey about that statement. 

Grey may be the wrong word perhaps...But I would say it’s an arse covering clause that would have little effect in practice.It gives them the opportunity in extreme cases (e.g. a 25 stone guy who slides his bulk in and out in rough work clothes) to deny a claim.

Under normal circumstances only an idiot would accept a claim turned down on a 7 month old car, because such a failure would be a manufacturing defect.

Skoda design seats to last longer than 6 months,the one that don’t will be faulty from the start.

4 hours ago, *JP* said:

Grey may be the wrong word perhaps...But I would say it’s an arse covering clause that would have little effect in practice.It gives them the opportunity in extreme cases (e.g. a 25 stone guy who slides his bulk in and out in rough work clothes) to deny a claim.

Under normal circumstances only an idiot would accept a claim turned down on a 7 month old car, because such a failure would be a manufacturing defect.

Skoda design seats to last longer than 6 months,the one that don’t will be faulty from the start.

If a 25st person wears the seat facing then what's he claiming against?  It's the same seat cover that a 13st person uses - how can the manufacturer be held liable for the user's weight or for, what is a rather ridiculous argument, for the type of clothing he wears? 

A warranty is nothing more than an insurance. Go find me any insurance policy that will cover wear and tear.  I can cover my home carpets for flooding, I can cover them for accidental damage. I can cover them for fire. What neither I nor you can do is cover them for wear and tear.

Ah, but you say to yourself, it's not wear and tear, the product was inherently faulty at the point of purchase. Skoda quite clearly state that after 6mth they will inspect the item and if a fault is found then it will be subject to warranty repair - so what's the problem?

It's not 'grey' or 'arsy' or some other cloak and dagger tactic - it's standard practice and as far as I can see, very simple to understand.

11 hours ago, Scot5 said:

If a 25st person wears the seat facing then what's he claiming against?  It's the same seat cover that a 13st person uses - how can the manufacturer be held liable for the user's weight or for, what is a rather ridiculous argument, for the type of clothing he wears? 

A warranty is nothing more than an insurance. Go find me any insurance policy that will cover wear and tear.  I can cover my home carpets for flooding, I can cover them for accidental damage. I can cover them for fire. What neither I nor you can do is cover them for wear and tear.

Ah, but you say to yourself, it's not wear and tear, the product was inherently faulty at the point of purchase. Skoda quite clearly state that after 6mth they will inspect the item and if a fault is found then it will be subject to warranty repair - so what's the problem?

It's not 'grey' or 'arsy' or some other cloak and dagger tactic - it's standard practice and as far as I can see, very simple to understand.

How is the type of clothing a ridiculous argument?

You're saying that is someone wears jeans with rivets in the back pockets and it's those rivets that cause the damage - that should be an acceptable claim?

You can't have it both ways, you can't start saying that the weight of a driver is a fantastic argument but the clothing they are wearing is some kind of idiotic one - if the driver was a skinny, 10st, if he's wearing clothing that is causing damage the argument is every bit as "good".