Battery worn

An interime service today revealed that my 18 plate 2l TDI requires a new battery. I haven't had any problems. The car does have week long periods where it sits in the garage. Today it was driven an hour to the dealer. Suppose it's a warranty issue.

46 minutes ago, benterrier said:

An interime service today revealed that my 18 plate 2l TDI requires a new battery. I haven't had any problems. The car does have week long periods where it sits in the garage. Today it was driven an hour to the dealer. Suppose it's a warranty issue.

I would have expected it to be, nearly every battery comes with a 3 year minimum warranty however, I don't know for sure how long sSkoda warranty batteries for

56 minutes ago, FluffyEyeball said:

When you say the service revealed you need a new one and you’ve had no problems, what exactly do you (they) mean?

Most dealerships now have a battery testing 'gadget' that runs a few tests and then churns out a printout.

I was handed a printout on one of my machines saying it needed battery replacement when it went in for service. I had no issues with it, and it went another winter but I did start to notice it and replaced it about a year later.

1 hour ago, flybynite said:

Most dealerships now have a battery testing 'gadget' that runs a few tests and then churns out a printout.

I was handed a printout on one of my machines saying it needed battery replacement when it went in for service. I had no issues with it, and it went another winter but I did start to notice it and replaced it about a year later.

I had a similar experience with my other car, the independent who serviced it said the battery capacity was down to 70% and I should change it, well another year later they said the battery capacity was 60% and I should change it - I did, but buying online not at their inflated price!

Had the same of recent. Dealer wanter £560 for a battery when Eurocarparts (other motor parts stores are available) had a better battery in for a lot less. Better cold cranking amps and capacity. Coupled with a 50% off deal meant I got it at just under £100 and fitted myself.

That is poor at only two years old..............does the battery have a 'manufactured on' date on it??? Wonder how long it sat around (in a field somewhere maybe) before the car got sold.

At least it should be replaced under warranty, and your new battery should come with a reasonable warranty....

3 minutes ago, Tilt said:

That is poor at only two years old..............does the battery have a 'manufactured on' date on it??? Wonder how long it sat around (in a field somewhere maybe) before the car got sold.

At least it should be replaced under warranty, and your new battery should come with a reasonable warranty....

The sealed batteries these days are rubbish. Gone are the days of adding de-ionised water or distilled water to extend the life of the battery. Plus if it is a stop start car the batteries are put through hell with the stopping and starting. It massively reduces the working lifespan of the battery.

7 hours ago, Ecomatt said:

. Plus if it is a stop start car the batteries are put through hell with the stopping and starting. It massively reduces the working lifespan of the battery.

Plus the fact that when you stop, the battery is not being charged so on a short trip you will do even more damage.

Before I ring the dealer this morning regarding replacing my battery under warranty. I checked what the costs were if replacing it myself.

Why would anyone pay £339.99 for a Bosch AGM 096 with a 3 year warranty against a Halfords AGM 096 £159 direct replacement with 5 year warranty.

Yep.  And a code at the top of the page that takes 60% off 😉

For some reason most of the sites for car parts operate on a basis of expensive prices with ludicrous 'offers' that just repeat and repeat over and over.  

Screenshot_20200316-070029.png

Edited by Alex-W
  • Like 1

Update:

Today I had a replacement battery fitted under warranty by the dealer. The original was working fine but there you go, just the trip to Winner Garage. The new battery looks much the same as the old one.

IMG_20200323_173333.jpg