Social Distancing support, advice and tips & a little humour.

@Lee

Dont know about Sainsburys but I stopped shopping at Tesco because of the constant chiming of those scan & shop things, it was driving me to distraction, those that used them did not seem to notice but neither do they notice the agony that their children cause with the 1km screams they emit to get attention from the parent glued to their smartphone.

On 27/03/2020 at 21:50, Kenny R said:

Not sure if the colour will clash with my eyes though :)

9659B873-7AB8-421B-A039-754C157042DE.jpeg

Kenny- simpler to use a well starched longer kilt. "Hunting edjit" would be the preferred tartan.

On 28/03/2020 at 15:01, shyVRS245 said:

Wish next doors Cat would keep 2 metres from my car with its dirty paws.

6D82415D-D50A-4B52-AD68-AC049FCDD201.jpeg

668B77E5-CDA5-4ED4-B841-BAF33D7B5A44.jpeg

235A682D-3321-4ADE-A869-DC0A8CE78AE3.jpeg

Shy at present my problem is not cats -they've learned that my pooch can almost jump up to the top of a 6" fence. It's pigeons on park. By the time I get home and spot the po, it's hard and only a plastic kitchen scourer , warm water and car shampoo with a bit of elbow grease shifts it.

On 27/03/2020 at 19:18, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

The stand 2 meters apart when in a queue advice is no use as you stand 2 meters back from the person in front and the person behind moves close to you and you then need to turn and ask them to move further back yet behind them a queue is forming and they are just a muppet.

I find moving the scooter back and fro makes them back off a bit. Before, I used to find folks playing chicken. These days I head straight for them and watch them get out of the way. Being in a mobility scooter has it's advantages- they all ASSUME I have something contagious.

8 minutes ago, VWD said:

hey've learned that my pooch can almost jump up to the top of a 6" fence

have you still not made that fence taller?!?!

• Haha 1

On 28/03/2020 at 15:47, shyVRS245 said:

When it jumps on the bonnet it's always the driver's side and walks up the windscreen in front of my side then along the roof and being Black it really shows up. This is why I never Polish my car it would be a complete waste of time.

SHY- what you want is a remote controlled sprinkler. At one time ,before I got a dog, I had cat problems in the rear garden. I simply fitted an outside hose ,aimed down garden ,with tap inside. Fix hose jet to a stick ,aimed at rear fence . Cat walks in, let cat get into range and open inside tap. I think I only ever got three wet cats before they caught on .

just as a public service announcement..

the App "House Party" has become popular for video chatting. 

if you have it, i did for 3 days..., delete your account and uninstall it. 

then change many many passwords... 

seems its being used to hack peoples accounts -

amazon,email, spotify, etc  even attempts on peoples online banking.

1 minute ago, mac11irl said:

have you still not made that fence taller?!?!

Better fun with a six foot fence- she's almost had a tail, and one did sit on the shed roof, till she almost made it up there. One of these days ,cat will try it on on the other fence ,to find Lexie's mate, a small Charpei waiting for lunch to be delivered.

2 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

Not needed round here- the natives can hold a conversation over 30 yards.

28 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

Almost definitely because people stupidly use the same password on all accounts, not because of the app. Android and iOS would stop an app mining a device for passwords 

• Like 1

shy - this covers that situation, I think

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others#closing-certain-businesses-and-venues

Environmental Health and Trading Standards officers) will monitor compliance, ...

• Thanks 1

My last post let me into something les doormen don't seem to know. From the UK GOV perspective, a couple who do not need to practice social distancing are ( from the impression given on gov.uk) as one unit. Had a very  comical ( if it hadn't been so nasty)situation happen yesterday. Daughter is a social care worker and had rushed out not knowing her phone ( which she uses for work updates ) was low on charge, and she had left her charger etc at home. ( Happens in their world as thy are so busy ). Panic call to dad, as she was too far away to get home between calls. I'd call it an essential journey, as we would not contact any others whilst out. We needed to go shopping and as it turned out, daughter met us in a Sainsbury car park. Little queue, so we felt safe in going in. But not so easy. First question by the security staff"are you together". Yes"I can't let you both in , one must stay outside". My reply "other supermarkets are available , I'll pass your reply on to the CEO ". So we visited the ASDA over the road. Same Question ,reply " we regard you as one unit for shopping space".

I read the Email today from the TESCO CEO.

It said they are sticking with the max 3 of any items.

Which is a nonsense for those doing shopping for themselves and also for those that can not get out to do shopping.

It really does not help people to go shopping less often.

40 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

I read the Email today from the TESCO CEO.

It said they are sticking with the max 3 of any items.

Which is a nonsense for those doing shopping for themselves and also for those that can not get out to do shopping.

And if they allow people to buy as many as you want, there’s no stock left for you anyway. 

• Like 3

As it was i only ever saw them limiting to 4 of each item and 5 bananas, so the 3 items of each max was news to me first seen in the Email.

What i notice is that there might be 50 pence tins of Hot Dog sausages, and beside them £1.25 tins of Chicken Curry, Chilli con carne and similar. 

but the usual 59 or 69 pence cans are not being re-stocked.

The same at various other produce, the higher priced items are being stocked and the lower priced items stay not being brought in, or maybe not available, 

but it is not the case they have been there and sold out anytime in the past couple of weeks.

LIDL & ALDI stores locally might be much smaller than Tesco and Asda but they are getting stock in, getting it on selves and might well not be like Tesco and concentrating on the more expensive items being available.

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 23.37.52.jpg

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

7 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

What i notice is that there might be 50 pence tins of Hot Dog sausages, and beside them £1.25 tins of Chicken Curry, Chilli con carne and similar. 

but the usual 59 or 69 pence cans are not being re-stocked.

The same at various other produce, the higher priced items are being stocked and the lower priced items stay not being brought in, or maybe not available, 

noticed that on Monday too in our Tesco.

loads of Andrex and Cushelle jacksroll, but very little Tesco stuff. 

same with the cereal aisle, and bread.

what annoys me though is (not just these times) when they stock a product, then it vanishes for months, to return as a "New Product".

wheat free coeliac Yorkshire Puddings for example - gone for 8 months, back in on Monday labelled on the shelf as "New Product"  . get ta fook, ye just havnt stocked them for months. 

12 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

If I was shopping to help an elderly neighbour, I would take a photo of them with a placard saying 'MILK & BREAD PLEASE', for instance.........

It might be worth a try...............at the moment they are being looked after by family though, luckily.

• Haha 1

Great idea for places that are not 'Local supermarkets for local people.'  Small market town type locations with a Tesco, Asda, B&M, Home Bargain, Lidl & Aldi store towns with only a few thousand of a population.

Where you shop day in and day out and week in and week out and know the staff by name and they know you that is not necessary really.

They might even ask how your Mum is as they also were regulars.

The thing is they have to stick to management rules.

Simple really since shopping was required for the 95 year old and myself.

Today i was again first customer in at 6am, and then back again at 6.30 am. 

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

11 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

French Government have announced 350,000 fines have been issued for citizens ignoring the lockdown including people going on holiday is not a valid reason to leave their homes.:worried:

Absolutely right!

And its not about being a valid reason, we are in exactly the same lockdown as you are its just no-one there seems to realise it, it is against the law to leave your dwelling except for 8 exceptions and you must carry written proof that the reason you are out is one of those exceptions, like going to the pharmacy, a hospital appointment, buying essential food from the closest shop etc.

The mistake was made by announcing the confinement at 20.00 on Monday night to be effective at 12.00 the next day, thousands of Parisiens left the capital for their second homes taking the virus with them (Paris was the hot spot) and swamping local medical services which are mothballed outside of July & August.

Very soon will be Easter, what they consider the Easter holiday and despite not working for a month and being confined with family thousands will try taking to the road to join the head households, it has to be stopped, we are at war.

The British Embassy in Paris has fired a warning shot at Brit second home owners who have done a Parisien, they have been told to pack their bags & return to their country ASAP while they still can or they will be repatriated at their cost. Its clear that very soon the borders will be completely closed, they  will be forcing the Parisiens to return to their principal residences, they cannot do that and ignore the British second home owners holed up next door, they will be deported.

But the silly thing was that the ambassador told them that they must fill out une attestation sur honneur for the journey, problem is returning to the family home like going on holiday is not allowed, its not one of the 8 exceptions :D