Best (in place) battery charger?

Given our cars are not really moving at the moment...I suspect my battery is slowly draining.

Not keen on removing the battery, so want to charge it in place, without removing it or the connected cables (and probably outside).

2018 Superb Petrol 220 - So has stop start as well

Work colleagues said something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5-0-Reconditions-Motorcycle/dp/B00FC42HAA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3IHP3S5DBW1O6&dchild=1&keywords=ctek%2Bmxs%2B5.0&qid=1585839653&sprefix=ctek%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-3&th=1

but not sure which size to go for it that one?

Would want to use with wife's Honda Jazz as well :) !

Any suggestions for charger and/or size to go for?

I have the Ctek 3.8 and use that to trickle charge. I think it came with a short cable to affix permanently using two eyelets though I use the spring clamps instead. Not sure whether the negative point on the Mk III has a screw to fasten it to.

Check that you can charge a Jazz this way. The wife has a 2018 model and I couldn't find a suitable negative point to fasten anything to.

Both the CTEK 3.8 and 5.0 are excellent bits of kit. Tech specs place max recommended battery capacity for the 3.8 at 130Ah and the 5.0 at 160Ah; the 5.0 has a max charge rate of 5A and the 3.8 3.8A so the 5.0 will get the battery charge up a little faster. Since all modern cars drain the battery if stood (as well as lead/acid gently self discharging all the time at about 1% daily) I keep trying to spread the word that a little run to ASDA will do nothing much to alter the state of charge of your battery.

4 hours ago, BenSh said:

Given our cars are not really moving at the moment...I suspect my battery is slowly draining.

Not keen on removing the battery, so want to charge it in place, without removing it or the connected cables (and probably outside).

2018 Superb Petrol 220 - So has stop start as well

Work colleagues said something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5-0-Reconditions-Motorcycle/dp/B00FC42HAA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3IHP3S5DBW1O6&dchild=1&keywords=ctek%2Bmxs%2B5.0&qid=1585839653&sprefix=ctek%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-3&th=1

but not sure which size to go for it that one?

Would want to use with wife's Honda Jazz as well :) !

Any suggestions for charger and/or size to go for?

I have that very charger.

i use it on my Superb and on my wife's 2014 Jazz.

Works a dream.

I used that charger in my father's 2002 diesel Octavia, fantastic charger. It came with a connector that you could permanently attach to the battery and route so it was peeking out through the grille, it had a tight fitting rubber cap to prevent water ingress. I highly recommend it. 

When I was in the market for a charger last year I spent way too much time comparing the main players.

CTEK are indeed very good but seemed to get criticism for reducing quality of late. I ended up with this one from NOCO, who are also very well respected...

image.thumb.png.212e561dfdf8866aecab23ed38670a9b.png

4 hours ago, j caff said:

I used that charger in my father's 2002 diesel Octavia, fantastic charger. It came with a connector that you could permanently attach to the battery and route so it was peeking out through the grille, it had a tight fitting rubber cap to prevent water ingress. I highly recommend it. 

I believe you are referring to the 2 eyelets that you permanently connect to both battery terminals.

What I don't understand is...using the eyelets you connect both to the battery and yet using the `crocodile clips` you connect red to the `positive` pole but the black `negative` to the car chassis ????

12 minutes ago, mandp said:

I believe you are referring to the 2 eyelets that you permanently connect to both battery terminals.

What I don't understand is...using the eyelets you connect both to the battery and yet using the `crocodile clips` you connect red to the `positive` pole but the black `negative` to the car chassis ????

Makes no difference really. I think the advice to use the crocodile clip on the chassis is if there's a spark it isn't near the battery to potentially cause an explosion.

1 hour ago, j caff said:

Makes no difference really. I think the advice to use the crocodile clip on the chassis is if there's a spark it isn't near the battery to potentially cause an explosion.

WRONG!!

Do NOT connect the battery charger directly to the negative terminal of the battery. The -ve lead MUST be connected to the chassis tab as shown in the manual.

The reason for this is the battery lead terminal connector contains a current sensor. If you examine it you will see a small connector with a pair of wires. This sensor measures the current going in and out of the battery and is used to track the charge in the battery. A technique known as coulomb counting, and is a vital part of the micro hybrid smart charging scheme the car uses to support Start/stop, energy recovery and smart alternator control.

If you connect direct to the battery, you bypass this sensor and your car will lose track of battery state of charge and you will end up having issues related to low charge or overcharging and subsequently a short battery life.

All Skoda models fitted with Stop/Start use this smart charge control scheme. 

Edited by xman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another detail. Due to Stop/Start feature (or curse depending on how you look at it) it's likely you will have a EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery) or less likely AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) so make sure the charger you buy can handle this type of battery and if it's not automatic, is set to the correct type.

I have a NOCO Genius G3500 also. 

12V Normal for EFB

12V Cold/AGM for AGM

FWIW: These are simply types of deep-cycle batteries designed to be discharged to a lower level than the standard lead acid battery since start-stop will drain the battery more while you are stationary with ancillaries running. They are (of course) more expensive. sigh.

Edited by digifish
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, xman said:

WRONG!!

Do NOT connect the battery charger directly to the negative terminal of the battery. The -ve lead MUST be connected to the chassis tab as shown in the manual.

The reason for this is the battery lead terminal connector contains a current sensor. If you examine it you will see a small connector with a pair of wires. This sensor measures the current going in and out of the battery and is used to track the charge in the battery. A technique known as coulomb counting, and is a vital part of the micro hybrid smart charging scheme the car uses to support Start/stop, energy recovery and smart alternator control.

If you connect direct to the battery, you bypass this sensor and your car will lose track of battery state of charge and you will end up having issues related to low charge or overcharging and subsequently a short battery life.

All Skoda models fitted with Stop/Start use this smart charge control scheme. 

There’s no need for the capitals I can read and don’t appreciate being shouted at. If you bothered to read my post I was using it on a 2002 Octavia which had no modern features and it worked perfectly with that car. Disappointing to see this site has the usual aggressive types, I won’t be sticking around as I thought this site was about Skoda enthusiasts helping each other. 

37 minutes ago, mandp said:

So...I'm guessing from all the above...BIN THE EYELETS!

Just connect the negative eyelet to the body and the positive eyelet to the battery post. I hope I’m correct before I get bawled at again by a “senior member”.

• Thanks 1

I have used the eyelets. I have an AGM battery. Like others, I read that I shouldn't attach the negative terminal on the lead to the negative terminal of the battery. It took some time to find an attachment point for the negative eyelet. Finally I spotted the negative attachment tab for the negative terminal on a jump lead (should one ever need to use them). It is attached to the bulkhead a few inches from the battery. I was able to attach the negative eyelet to the end of a bolt sticking out just below the tab and secure it with a nut. The positive eyelet I attached to the end of the bolt securing the positive clamp on the battery; securing it with a nut. I have used the arrangement and it works. Photographs attached.

20200404_Both-terminals.jpg

20200404_Negative-eyelet-connection.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, j caff said:

There’s no need for the capitals I can read and don’t appreciate being shouted at. If you bothered to read my post I was using it on a 2002 Octavia which had no modern features and it worked perfectly with that car. Disappointing to see this site has the usual aggressive types, I won’t be sticking around as I thought this site was about Skoda enthusiasts helping each other. 

Don't worry about cross-man's lack of social graces, he's always like that.  He often has useful technical input in spite of the 'attitude'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Roadbot said:

I have used the eyelets. I have an AGM battery. Like others, I read that I shouldn't attach the negative terminal on the lead to the negative terminal of the battery. It took some time to find an attachment point for the negative eyelet. Finally I spotted the negative attachment tab for the negative terminal on a jump lead (should one ever need to use them). It is attached to the bulkhead a few inches from the battery. I was able to attach the negative eyelet to the end of a bolt sticking out just below the tab and secure it with a nut. The positive eyelet I attached to the end of the bolt securing the positive clamp on the battery; securing it with a nut. I have used the arrangement and it works. Photographs attached.

That's the spot where I use the crocodile clips. Seems I should have looked harder then I'd have seen the bolt as well :giggle:

1 hour ago, j caff said:

Sincere apologies, didn't mean to upset you, it was simply meant as a warning to others not to connect to the negative battery terminal. 

This forum / thread is about Superb iii. I appreciate your advice may be about a 2002 Octavia, it was incorrect with regard to the OP and others here who have modern stop/start cars.

It would lead to problems, short battery life and possibly even damage. Many people dont realise that and I just wanted to stop people doing that.

My post was not meant as a personal insult in any way. It was only three words capitalised to stress importance.

Edited by xman
  • Like 3

Given that we're all housebound I imagine we'll all be falling over ourselves at the excitement of finally getting around to reading the owner's manual from cover to cover! :D

image.png.f6f28136b024d85f0bb72a2a4f25ab53.png

image.png.d15ac317357340dc4db078482d1dcb1c.png

You don't even have to go out to the car...

https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Model/Superb_3V/07-2018/en

image.png.a5900f1fea3ba8b984055a74161b847b.png

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Given that we're all housebound I imagine we'll all be falling over ourselves at the excitement of finally getting around to reading the owner's manual from cover to cover! :D

image.png.f6f28136b024d85f0bb72a2a4f25ab53.png

image.png.d15ac317357340dc4db078482d1dcb1c.png

You don't even have to go out to the car...

https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Model/Superb_3V/07-2018/en

Surely this is a bit misleading because if you are jump starting from another AGM battery you will need to go from ground point to ground point?

• Like 1

@silver1011 is there a bit on charging, rather than jump starting???

I've tried to research this re negative connection, and some sites (RAC, Varta) only mention disconnecting negative cable, therefore having to connect charger to battery negative.

Edited by Tilt
  • Like 1