272 Superb OPF stageIII

On 17/08/2020 at 14:45, Roscio said:

For sure it will be interesting to compare!

The weighbridge i used has a tolerance of +- 5kg...

image.png.6fbdb410bfe11342d6261de0d0361f3a.png

Well mine was 1,660kg with a boot full of work gear, full fuel tank and spare/tool kit onboard. Think I could get it down to 1,600kg for a track day or Santa Pod just by emptying the boot and having a  quarter of a tank (approx 16 litres of fuel). At least 25kg less than your Bells and Whistles model (top spec adds weight).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Well mine was 1,660kg with a boot full of work gear, full fuel tank and spare/tool kit onboard. Think I could get it down to 1,600kg for a track day or Santa Pod just by emptying the boot and having a  quarter of a tank (approx 16 litres of fuel). At least 25kg less than your Bells and Whistles model (top spec adds weight).

I'd say your weight is similar to mine and @newbie69's, considering the extra weight of my "bells and whistles" model...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roscio said:

I'd say your weight is similar to mine and @newbie69's, considering the extra weight of my "bells and whistles" model...

Yes it seems that way. Difference mostly coming from panoramic roof (and lack of spare wheel on mine).

Me and you are also on lighter wheels which save almost 20kg off.

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

When I swapped the Vega/Bridgestones for the RS6/Michelins the aftermarket ones seemed lighter combo which is something @newbie69 has commented on before regarding factory wheel/tyre weights.

Out of curiosity, remember to weigh one RS6 wheel vs a Vega one when you swap them, or even just one RS6 rep alone. It's unusual for replicas to be particularly lightweight but you never know.

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Yes it seems that way. Difference mostly coming from panoramic roof (and lack of spare wheel on mine).

Out of curiosity, remember to weigh one RS6 wheel vs a Vega one when you swap them, or even just one RS6 rep alone. It's unusual for replicas to be particularly lightweight but you never know.

That was the plan then I got impulsive and put the Vega's on the wife's SEL Karoq. Will take her 3 years to wear out the tyres so hope you are patient and can wait that long.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

That was the plan then I got impulsive and put the Vega's on the wife's SEL Karoq. Will take her 3 years to wear out the tyres so hope you are patient and can wait that long.

Just weigh yours when you put winters on (are you?) , I have the values from mine ;)

1 hour ago, newbie69 said:

14 kg in my case but i didn't consider it because i think (but i'm not sure) that I added something with the 390mm bbk.

My 19x8'' trinity are 14.3 kg, the Racingline R360 19x8.5 are 10.8 kg.

trinity.thumb.jpg.03e758062d6e4b366ba03e221ce6e88a.jpg

r360.thumb.jpg.cc45c8ef538ff98905901d805849b745.jpg

• 2 months later...

Time for winter tyres, and back on the heavy OEM trinity wheels.
Had to put 13mm spacers on the front due to bbk, and wheels still fit barely.

I risked not being able to mount these original rims...but at the end it was ok with a margin of almost 1 mm! :D

Also fitted 16mm spacers on the back.

IMG_1798.thumb.jpeg.77a6df146748d0ab3d033755e5c01e74.jpegIMG_1800.thumb.jpeg.b4840ad5208f98b728e05d2d1980c5ac.jpeg

13mm spacers:

IMG_1777.thumb.JPG.bb10e100507b2de48a40854fe9a531de.JPG

This last photo shows how close the caliper is to the inside of the rim...

IMG_1788.thumb.JPG.fec6d3762edbcce76c34dcfca3ab0295.JPG

• Like 3

Love your brakes but that's worryingly close! I'd be scared what happens if little stones get trapped in between the caliper and the barrel... hoping you'll be fine!

PS, You NEED to add the Sportline's boot spoiler!! :tongueout: (200 EUR at Superskoda)  It will look amazing!

3V5827933GRU.thumb.jpg.0daaf019c99f670a295624d84a1197ba.jpg

Edited by newbie69

5 hours ago, Roscio said:

Yes those are very close each others, but it should be fine. 

Boot spoiler is something that I don't like on Superb, I like the clean look (for now...).

Fair enough!

I have to confess I love mine so maybe I am not too subjective :blush:

IMG_20201114_175333.thumb.jpg.5c50d7b2033e0af1eb9eb0880775aff7.jpg

I like these dynamic but discreet touches of the SportLine very much. A pity they didn't add a similar clever front spoiler too to go with the rear one, the aftermarket ones from Maxton and Rieger are too fussy for my like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newbie69 said:

I have to confess I love mine so maybe I am not too subjective :blush:

It's not bad, not bad. especially in this photo it looks really good.

but I have the M3 E46 boot spoiler in my heart and on the Superb it would be a bit like trying to copy that spoiler. But of course it's just my subjective view!

:heart:

image.thumb.png.ee3eac9f293e08089f1ebc17474ef315.png

1 hour ago, Roscio said:

It's not bad, not bad. especially in this photo it looks really good.

but I have the M3 E46 boot spoiler in my heart and on the Superb it would be a bit like trying to copy that spoiler. But of course it's just my subjective view!

:heart:

image.thumb.png.ee3eac9f293e08089f1ebc17474ef315.png

No worries, preferences on looks and aesthetics are quite subjective anyway! 

I just thought that on yours, being black would look like a nice continuation of the body, and I think it's has a more round shape than the one on the E46 but ok, point taken! :D

• 4 months later...

Small changes to the exhaust system, I replaced rear boxes with Supersprint ones with ECE homologation.
I wanted it to have a sportier sound, and to keep the stock look. Adapting OEM tips was more challenging than expected, but in the end they managed to fulfill my request.
I am satisfied with the result, the sound at idle is more intense and darker. Much louder when pushing hard.
The look is exactly like the original.

IMG_4711.JPG

IMG_4714.JPG

IMG_4722.JPG

• Like 1
  • Love it! 2

Looks great - what kind of money were the boxes each - I have looked at these on their site - a full system was fairly pricey. I am running an APR downpipes - so wanted to get something that sounded a bit more meaty. 

Be interesting to hear what its like under acceleration. 

Need a go pro stuck on the car..... :D

Yes, prices are those shown on their website.
I recommend them if what you want is a darker sound. Compared to the originals they completely changed the tone of the car.
Before the sound was like a vacuum cleaner, now it's sporty.
Now even when traveling in D, upshifting under 2000 rpm, the exhaust sound is always distinctly heard. It can annoy anyone who's not a petrolhead.

In S mode i can now hear DSG farts. Shifting at 7200/7300 rpm those little farts becomes a sweet little "bang". Very satisfying.

Edited by Roscio

• 3 months later...

Can't believe I missed this thread!

Amazing work and thank you for sharing. 

I'm currently undertaking my own Stage 3 journey and you've given insight on how to get the custom exhaust sorted!

So thank you!

4 hours ago, Awesam said:

Can't believe I missed this thread!

Amazing work and thank you for sharing. 

I'm currently undertaking my own Stage 3 journey and you've given insight on how to get the custom exhaust sorted!

So thank you!

you're welcome.
finally someone else who ventures into stage 3 ... I am following with interest how your project goes on!

So I've been speaking to a custom exhaust builder and he said he could make anything of silencer/muffler.  So I've told him my spec that I want:

• Free flowing/ unrestrictive for stage 3
  • Not loud
  • No droning

So against your original solution ( stock backboxes and the VP muffler/silencer) he say that would be too quiet and recommended going for a 3" straight pipe from the decat if I want to use the stock backboxes.

I sent him the JS Fabrications exhaust made for Darth - 2 silencers and no valve function retained - he said he could use chambered backboxes and a similar box/muffler as the VP one.

1 hour ago, Awesam said:

So against your original solution ( stock backboxes and the VP muffler/silencer) he say that would be too quiet and recommended going for a 3" straight pipe from the decat if I want to use the stock backboxes.

Until recently I had exactly this setup, but it was 3'' up to the backboxes (200 cell cat + VP center resonator). Too quiet is subjective, it depends on what you are looking for. Nobody imagines that there're almost 500 hp under the hood with that muffled sound. :cool:

I wanted a little more sound, but performance has not changed at all with Supersprint backboxes. Here's the new dyno chart (almost the same as previous):

dyno.thumb.png.d3cb273664284167c3ed7e1640798303.png

1 hour ago, Awesam said:

I sent him the JS Fabrications exhaust made for Darth - 2 silencers and no valve function retained - he said he could use chambered backboxes and a similar box/muffler as the VP one.

it's a good solution.

For the record, after more than 1 year of use my VP muffler is still as good as new, I was afraid I would have to fill it but we have checked and it is fine.

With my current setup I have a bit of a drone when idling in D mode, under 1,000 rpm. Consider that the original backboxes are really very quiet and replacing them completely changes the sound.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so Ive been speaking to another exhaust fabricator and he's suggested something else! lol

As Ive bought a Trackslag 4" decat, he's said he will install 2 anti drone silencers with a 3" pipe going into the existing "Y" section to the backboxes (This is is to keep the cost down and as I wanted it near stock level as in terms of sound) - is the standard Y section pipe 2.75" or lower? 

He did say that that there will be a lot more build of heat in the Y section due to connectiong 3" inch pipe and looking to run 480-500bhp.  However it should be safe as long as Im not hammering it all the time i.e. trackdays

Also I will get some noise/drone because of the decat, his suggestion would have been to build a 3.5" Turbo back. 

The standard Y section should be 2", but i'm not sure about. I used 2,5" for the Y section.

Which 4" downpipe did you buy? Do you have any pics?

With a 4" decat dp, turbine should work fine by cooling down quickly. Adding 3,5" turbo back would have been my suggestion too, due to 4" dp. But 3" pipe going into Y section is also ok.

Let me know how the car's like with new exhaust! :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

quick update:

had to replace all the injectors, probably damaged by bad gasoline (100 octane from IP wich is the first italian distributor). Normally i refuel with 98 octane Repsol + octane booster, but unfortunately not this time.

IMG_0182.thumb.jpeg.4b7fa9a49062e77d0819ee488df772fd.jpeg 

e643b1fa-efae-485d-aa84-8f9f32b0e3c9.thumb.jpeg.daf9a48449145981a09bd6e54c4674ee.jpeg

4f4d5ffe-a19e-4655-bc65-7dac9294a068.thumb.jpeg.bb0c22ee41cebb7d9e1dcb04a55108d2.jpeg

Apart from this problem i finally got the rear brake kit i ordered months ago from uk... but the wait was worth it!

IMG_9598.thumb.jpeg.c70e1a6ed71f41db976a55a943b1fc73.jpeg

IMG_9593.thumb.jpeg.4fc3496ab9fc2381fbc7141431bdb45b.jpeg

• Crying 1