Adding USB ports in armrest?

Has anyone managed to install further USB ports in the Mk3 Superb?

My 2016 car only has one USB port by the climate control buttons and it's frustrating. I'd love to install further ports in the cubby under the drivers' arm rest - which I believe has been installed in later cars.

Has anyone attempted the retrofit?

A while ago I researched into this - adding additional USB ports inside the under armrest storage as there is already a blanking plate there for the USB port holder.

But I ended up passing as it involves removing the entire centre console, and gear selector surround.

Maybe one day I'll b brave n do it.

This also allows Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

You'll need a USB Hub, three cables and the ports themselves.

The HUB itself is powered by a separate power supply.

Once wired up, u'll need vcds to code in the USB #2 port.

Part numbers:
1. 5G0035953C - USB HUB to 2 ports,
there is also the letter D at the end so it has 3 exits.
2. 3G0035643- holder of the HUB
3. 6C0035726B - USB port with lid
4. Cable 3 pieces - 5G0035222E

Full write up with pictures here:- https://www.drive2.com/l/477895033505185881/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!

Yes I suspected it might be a lot of work. Maybe one day I'll muster up the enthusiasm 🙂

Did you manage to find any links to photos of the actual installation?

The link above only shows the parts themselves.

Edited by ChrisCh

No, sorry Chris.  Only pics r of that parts listed.

I made an error with part #3 above.  It should be 5G0035222E.

This is the version that fits into blank plate in the under arm storage.

• Thanks 1

I’ve added 2 usb outlets under the armrest. But it is power only. So only connected to a switched power source. It was a full day of work. But i also connected the cigarette lighters to a switched powersource and installed a dashcam. I used a aliexpress usb port. Will post it later on. 

When searching for it my old order i found this:

€ 4,41  10% Off | Biurlink 100CM Car Dash Flush Mount USB Port Panel Auto Boat 3.5mm AUX USB Extension Cable Adapter for Volkswagen Toyota
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dT6oGix

Not sure if it fits. 

I used this:

€ 2,52  30% Off | catuo  USB2.0 Flush Mount Cable 1M/2M Double/Single USB Port Extension Flush Dashboard Panel Mount Cable for Car Boat Motorcycle
https://a.aliexpress.com/_d6IfATN

Edited by Tin82
  • Thanks 1

@Tin82 - how hard was it to remove the trim panels on the sides of the centre console? i.e. next to the footwell?

And did u remove the armrest/storage/rear-vents?

How did u do it?

The trim panels on the side were easy. 
there is no need to remove the armrest. I just used a solid copper wire to guide the cable from the usb position to the passenger seat floor. Than guided the wire to the front. The only reason i removed the ac panel and ashtray was because i wanted to connect the cigarette lighter  to a switched source. 

• 2 years later...

It`s always annoyed me that in my 2018 Superb under the centre  front armrest  there is a blank plate for a usb but that it is not fitted. There`s only one in the whole car.

So I`ve added a double usb outlet. Power only.

Bought one to suit a Toyota from Aliexpress - fits in the hole perfectly. $2.18 delivered!!

Removed the rear ashtray. Pulled the wires thru to the rear power outlet. Soldered in an extra plug to the existing wiring loom.

Done! 

😊😊

• Like 1

Nice work @almar

any pics?

i did a similar thing, but i just snaked the wire through the pre-made factory hole inside the armrest storage console.

i can keep the rear console cubby closed, so its out of sight and out of the way too.

AAWireless.thumb.jpg.3fea0f193827f46844896c0af9a1b316.jpg

2 hours ago, JR RS said:

Nice work @almar

any pics?

i did a similar thing, but i just snaked the wire through the pre-made factory hole inside the armrest storage console.

i can keep the rear console cubby closed, so its out of sight and out of the way too.

AAWireless.thumb.jpg.3fea0f193827f46844896c0af9a1b316.jpg

No drilling or dismantling required for the above option?

If no to both that seems to be a winner

1 hour ago, Danoid said:

No drilling or dismantling required for the above option?

If no to both that seems to be a winner

Drilling - no. 

There is already a hole big enough for one finger to fit through.  Lift up the carpet felt and u'll c it in the corner.

Dismantling - yes.

Need to remove the rear air vents so u can access behind the rear storage compartment.

U then need a hook wire thingy to put through the hole from the armrest storage compartment, downwards, which u'll c come out behind the rear storage compartment, and pull through the USB cable.

• Love it! 1

On 16/05/2023 at 13:01, JR RS said:

Drilling - no. 

There is already a hole big enough for one finger to fit through.  Lift up the carpet felt and u'll c it in the corner.

Dismantling - yes.

Need to remove the rear air vents so u can access behind the rear storage compartment.

U then need a hook wire thingy to put through the hole from the armrest storage compartment, downwards, which u'll c come out behind the rear storage compartment, and pull through the USB cable.

Hi, I've tried this tonight - popped out the rear vents with a card, fed a usb cable through the hole in the bottom of the front armrest console, then fished it out through the vent hole in the back with a tent peg.

I'm stuck now though - I can't find any way of getting the other end of the usb through into the rear ashtray bit where the 12v plug is. There doesn't seem to be a hole through - it seems fully sealed.

How did you do it?

I fed the wire down thru the blanking panel hole and curved the wire towards the back so that it emerged at the hole where the wiring loom for the power outlet comes out. Easy.

Thanks Almar, my question was to JR RS though.

I'd like to have the usb cable coming into the armrest console connected to a quick charge 12v adaptor from the back ashtray. Can charge up my phone and vape really quickly!

Just not sure how to get the cable into the rear ashtray.

1 hour ago, ivorhooper said:

Hi, I've tried this tonight - popped out the rear vents with a card, fed a usb cable through the hole in the bottom of the front armrest console, then fished it out through the vent hole in the back with a tent peg.

I'm stuck now though - I can't find any way of getting the other end of the usb through into the rear ashtray bit where the 12v plug is. There doesn't seem to be a hole through - it seems fully sealed.

How did you do it?

I'll take some close up pics later today of how I routed the cable from the rear storage.

There is no need for a hole.

hey @ivorhooper if u look at the 2nd pic below, u can see that there is a hole at the back where the existing 12v wiring goes through.  u need to route the USB through here, then up and around to the other side, where the armrest hole is.

i took the USB cable behind the vent tunnel, to get from the left side to the right side.

u need to remove the actual rear storage compartment.  it has two hinges at the bottom. The right side unclips.  then u slide the other hinge out from the left side, and pull out the entire thing.

u'll then easily access the back bit.

PXL_20230525_032130297.thumb.jpg.ff2e26407d9675ea2876dbedb6b60d61.jpg 

314904097_PXL_20230525_0325102863.thumb.jpg.988d6051a906f43555ecf724ce5f46e9.jpg

891866064_PXL_20230525_0326114813.thumb.jpg.fe5ddd1043c4adcf28e4902b4adce9d4.jpg

7 hours ago, JR RS said:

hey @ivorhooper if u look at the 2nd pic below, u can see that there is a hole at the back where the existing 12v wiring goes through.  u need to route the USB through here, then up and around to the other side, where the armrest hole is.

i took the USB cable behind the vent tunnel, to get from the left side to the right side.

u need to remove the actual rear storage compartment.  it has two hinges at the bottom. The right side unclips.  then u slide the other hinge out from the left side, and pull out the entire thing.

314904097_PXL_20230525_0325102863.thumb.jpg.988d6051a906f43555ecf724ce5f46e9.jpg

891866064_PXL_20230525_0326114813.thumb.jpg.fe5ddd1043c4adcf28e4902b4adce9d4.jpg

Thanks JR RS.

I was trying to do it all without taking off the rear ashtray which in hindsight was a bit daft!

Thanks for your pics - I can clearly see what I need to do now.

• 3 months later...
On 25/05/2023 at 04:51, JR RS said:

Hey, I don’t suppose you can remember the length of cable you got? I’ve just been looking at the Mcdodo cables like you have and it’s available at 1.2m or 1.8m.

Also can you provide a link of the 12v adapter as the one you have is very flush and looking at your pictures it seems fairly tight, or is there more room to have a slightly less flush 12v socket?

thanks

4 hours ago, Danoid said:

Hey, I don’t suppose you can remember the length of cable you got? I’ve just been looking at the Mcdodo cables like you have and it’s available at 1.2m or 1.8m.

Also can you provide a link of the 12v adapter as the one you have is very flush and looking at your pictures it seems fairly tight, or is there more room to have a slightly less flush 12v socket?

thanks

hey hey.

the usb cable length was 1.2m - Mcdodo USB Type-C data, charging cable.

with the 12v USB socket, yes it sits fairly flush.  it needs to b if u intend to keep the console closed.  

u also need a low profile usb head (end connector), which is why i got a 90 degree version of the usb cable.

i'll have to find the link to the 12v usb socket and share it with u.

i got it from eBay.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JR RS said:

Awesome thanks, I was hoping it was a normal push in 12v rather than remove the existing.

I’ll see if any push in ones work with spacing first.

just to confirm as well, i’ll need to remove the rear ash tray and rear vents or the whole surround which has the clock/temps?

thanks

Edited by Danoid