Will I need new hardware to go with remap software

Having given R-Tech a ring, they informed me that as yet, they had not designed a remap for my later model of Octavia VRS TSI engine. When they do, I will be wanting to stage one remap the car. From you knowledgeable guys on this site, will I need to upgrade any parts, such as intercooler etc. It will probably go from 230bhp, to around 300bhp. I know on my previous car, a 2011 MK2 fl Octavia VRS TSI, the stage one remap worked well on the car without any upgrades. That car went from 200bhp, to around 250bhp.

A stage one is usually a no hardware upgrade, stage two involves hardware. If you have a 230 there are plenty of maps available for that to take you 300, only the 245’s with GPF’s don’t have the widest selection of maps to work with but even then it can be done.

My vRS (220 TSI) had a Revo Stage 1 map, was around the 300bhp mark, and needed nothing other than the map itself.

Gaz

1 hour ago, IamGaz said:

My vRS (220 TSI) had a Revo Stage 1 map, was around the 300bhp mark, and needed nothing other than the map itself.

Gaz

Thanks for the reply IamGaz, that's what I thought. Just wanted some confirmation. Have to wait till R-Tech design a new map for my car anyway.

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

A stage one is usually a no hardware upgrade, stage two involves hardware. If you have a 230 there are plenty of maps available for that to take you 300, only the 245’s with GPF’s don’t have the widest selection of maps to work with but even then it can be done.

Thanks for your, as always, knowledgeable reply SashaGrace. I have heard some great things about R-Tech though and they have a rolling road to help set the map up specifically to my car. 

2 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@roaddetective If they do not have a remap already done for your car which i find really surprising, why not offer to get your car to them and let them get on with developing one?  'Free gratis'.

The guy said on the phone, because they have a lot of work to catch up on, they have not as yet found the time to design one. Will probably give them a regular phone call to find out when they have one sorted. As my car has still got a year left on Skoda warranty, I have been putting it off. Now my heads getting into having it done, I will just have to wait a bit longer. 

5 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@roaddetective

What difference does it make having a Manufacturers Warranty voided or having no Warranty and things doing t!ts up.

Life is too short surely if you have 'the need for speed'.

Now there you go quoting the film "Top Gun" at me. lol. You certainly have a good point there my friend. At the moment though with the world as it is, the car hardly turns a wheel anyway.  

• Haha 1

When it does you just need to floor the accelerator and it does more than twice the 60 mph NSL and will go to more than twice 70 mph.

PS

'Need for speed'  Video Game and a Movie.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

7 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

When it does you just need to floor the accelerator and it does more than twice the 60 mph NSL and will go to more than twice 70 mph.

Got to be a bit careful with too much excessive speed in my job.  I work as an ADI Fleet trainer, training defensive/advanced driving to company drivers. I am meant to be a responsible driver!! There are moments however, when there is an 18 year old brain working this 67 year old body on the pedals. 

• Like 2

If you've got a manual, it might need an upgraded clutch.

My 230 had already done ~40k miles before getting the revo stage 1, the clutch was fine before the map, then slipping a little bit straight after the map and 2k miles later it's very noticable.

Still only slipping near full throttle so not noticable daily, but it's stopping me using the power gains from the remap, so it's my next job for sure.

On 30/05/2020 at 18:28, roaddetective said:

Thanks for your, as always, knowledgeable reply SashaGrace. I have heard some great things about R-Tech though and they have a rolling road to help set the map up specifically to my car. 

Does your 230 have a GPF ?

2 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Does your 230 have a GPF ?

I really don't know, although I have read online that the TSI engine did not get a GPF until 2019. Why do you ask?

7 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

None of the FL 230’s have a GPF as far as I know. 

That seems to be the overall opinion of the answers I have receIved, thanks SC03OTT. If that is the case, I am surprised R-Tech have not designed a map for it yet! 

6 hours ago, roaddetective said:

... I am surprised R-Tech have not designed a map for it yet! 

Likewise, so not a tried and tested product then.  I'd be hesitant if it were me, when several others have a decent track record already.  Given Revo's standing, I still thought the map could have been a bit smoother as it did seem to surge at times.  Quite possibly wasn't the map, but the car, or me.  Wasn't an issue as you get used to it and drive accordingly, but if I, as and end user, can notice this with Revo, then what a newcomer can do would be on my mind.  

Gaz

8 minutes ago, IamGaz said:

Likewise, so not a tried and tested product then.  I'd be hesitant if it were me, when several others have a decent track record already.  Given Revo's standing, I still thought the map could have been a bit smoother as it did seem to surge at times.  Quite possibly wasn't the map, but the car, or me.  Wasn't an issue as you get used to it and drive accordingly, but if I, as and end user, can notice this with Revo, then what a newcomer can do would be on my mind.  

Gaz

Hi Gaz. By newcomer, do you mean the company, or the new map they eventually develop? I thought R-Tech were well established. I have read on some posts that Revo maps can be a bit too aggressive. Like a previous Octvia VRS I had mapped by Shark when they were going, I had a smooth linear power delivery. I know Shark are now Racing Line, but I don't think they have rolling roads.

Sorry RD, that could've been clearer; newcomer to producing a map for this specific range of vehicles with this TSI engine, when it's been around for a number of years now.  Maybe they just decided to stick with the ones they're better known for, but I wonder why they have left it until now to get a bit of the market share.

Gaz

5 minutes ago, IamGaz said:

Sorry RD, that could've been clearer; newcomer to producing a map for this specific range of vehicles with this TSI engine, when it's been around for a number of years now.  Maybe they just decided to stick with the ones they're better known for, but I wonder why they have left it until now to get a bit of the market share.

Gaz

You sound an informed type of guy. Do you have a recommendation  you can give for a good remap company. It is hard to get well informed opinions from some members, whereas other members have some excellent knowledge and experience. I have already noticed that Revo are also quite expensive!

3 minutes ago, tunedude said:

Any mapping I'd say go to a VAG tuner, who does those engines day in day out.

Then Unit 18 in Milton Keynes spring to mind. They were the ones that did the map on my last Octavia VRS TSI. Just would have preferred to have the car mapped on a rolling road this time. 

4 hours ago, roaddetective said:

You sound an informed type of guy.

Looks (sounds) can be deceiving!

I went with Revo (yes they are the upper end on the cost range) purely on having been to JKM in Portsmouth several times, liking Jim and Kate's approach, and positive recommendation from good folks on here, who I'd also met at JKM.  There were certainly other options, but I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough to make an informed recommendation.

My only advice would be to wait until the warranty expires.  My turbo went pop just outside of warranty.  The cause was not related to the map.  Had I not had it mapped, Skoda would have covered it as they knew the car well (Mine from new and FSH with them).  Having found the marker, they didn't want to know, and it was an expensive lesson for me.  Them's the dice.

Gaz