KAROQ SPEED CAMERA WARNING

Markus

Hi Guys I am about change from Octavia to Koroq. my Octavia has the latest 2020 maps and speed cameras. I was wondering if the same file would work in the Koroq? Thank you in advance.

Markus 

On 14/06/2020 at 18:51, Markus said:

Hi Guys I am about change from Octavia to Koroq. my Octavia has the latest 2020 maps and speed cameras. I was wondering if the same file would work in the Koroq? Thank you in advance.

It depends if your Octavia and Karoq have the same version of the same sat nav system.

The Octavia could have MIB1 Amundsen, MIB1 Columbus, MIB2 Amundsen or MIB2 Columbus (depending on age & spec); the Karoq could have MIB2 Amundsen or MIB2 Columbus (depending on spec). So you need to work out what spec sat nav systems both vehicles have to be able to answer your question.

• Like 1

On 20/06/2020 at 10:59, PetrolDave said:

It depends if your Octavia and Karoq have the same version of the same sat nav system.

The Octavia could have MIB1 Amundsen, MIB1 Columbus, MIB2 Amundsen or MIB2 Columbus (depending on age & spec); the Karoq could have MIB2 Amundsen or MIB2 Columbus (depending on spec). So you need to work out what spec sat nav systems both vehicles have to be able to answer your question.

Hi I took a photo of the system does this help? Thank you. 

IMG_20200625_131715.jpg

3 hours ago, Markus said:

Hi I took a photo of the system does this help? Thank you. 

IMG_20200625_131715.jpg

That's a MIB2 Amundsen, so it reads the maps directly from the SD card.

If your new Karoq also has an Amundsen then you should be able to take the SD card out of the Octavia and plug it straight into the Karoq.

• john999boy changed the title to KAROQ SPEED CAMERA WARNING
1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

That's a MIB2 Amundsen, so it reads the maps directly from the SD card.

If your new Karoq also has an Amundsen then you should be able to take the SD card out of the Octavia and plug it straight into the Karoq.

Are the SD cards not keyed with a hidden data file to their own hardware? I've never been able to copy map data to a new SD card and have it recognised by my satnav system. I'd think you'd need to copy the data from the old card to the new card before it will work??

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

Are the SD cards not keyed with a hidden data file to their own hardware?

No, I use three different Skoda SD cards with my Amundsen - all purchased second hand off eBay and updated regularly (in a rolling pattern) every 6 months with the latest downloaded map data files from either the Skoda portal or the VW Infotainment website (the files are identical).

BTW they don't have a hidden data file, you can reformat them and they're still identified as a genuine card because the hidden data is not in the normal data partition but in a separate secure area (which is why they called SECURE Digital cards).

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Thanks 1

I stand corrected then :) 

I've previously tried to replace my VW-supplied SD card with a larger card to cope with increasing size of the maps over the years (but just a standard SD card not supplied by VW) and found the map files on the new larger card weren't recognised because the card didn't have the hidden secure data on it. I'd not tried to get other VW-supplied cards. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CJJE said:

I've previously tried to replace my VW-supplied SD card with a larger card to cope with increasing size of the maps over the years (but just a standard SD card not supplied by VW)

I had that problem around 2 years ago, some surfing found that reformatting the VW/Skoda SD card to FAT32 but with a smaller cluster size (I use 2048 bytes) made the map data fit.

How so? Because there are a lot of very small files of only a few hundred bytes, the default cluster size makes them occupy 8192 bytes so the card fills up quickly, changing the cluster size when formatting means they only occupy 2048 bytes.

BTW I always backup the SD card data onto my PC before formatting or copying the new files so I can always revert if necessary.

Edited by PetrolDave

56 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

I had that problem around 2 years ago, some surfing found that reformatting the VW/Skoda SD card to FAT32 but with a smaller cluster size (I use 2048 bytes) made the map data fit.

How so? Because there are a lot of very small files of only a few hundred bytes, the default cluster size makes them occupy 8192 bytes so the card fills up quickly, changing the cluster size when formatting means they only occupy 2048 bytes.

BTW I always backup the SD card data onto my PC before formatting or copying the new files so I can always revert if necessary.

Good point to make. I always back up my old files first too. But as my Golf is about to get replaced, and long trips are still unwise I'm not bothering updating my map files this year :)

Vhris

Do you guys know if the speed cameras file I had for my octavia will work in the karoq? 

Edited by Markus

• 10 months later...

For 2021 Skoda Karoq owners, the sd card system and access is no longer available. The sd slots in the glove box are no more. The navigation system is built into the infotainment module which is behind the blank plate where the sd slots were originally located. There are now 2 USB C slots near the gear change. In order to update/ add speed cameras, a USB C to sd card reader is required. The Skoda sd card is no more !!

• 4 weeks later...

Even worse the latest Karoq system will not give access to POI such as speed cameras. The usb c slots DO NOT give access to the navigation system.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just picked up a new Karoq SE-L and would like speed camera locations if possible. From all the foregoing replies on this thread especially the last one from Aust on 29th May does this mean there is absolutely NO way to install speed camera locations? 

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I cannot find any definitive answer. Thanks for any help

The 2021 Skoda navigation system does not allow the use of an SD card with speed camera POI’s to load on to the navigation system as in previous versions. I have contacted Skoda Technical and got absolutely no help at all.

I have a 2019 model so the Speed POIs can be installed, however, there are so many of ‘em around my area the map can become a little crowded so I’ve deleted ‘em……….and to be fair, I’m not so much worried by the fixed cameras, it’s the mobile units that pose the greatest threat and they (more often than not) don’t feature in the POI lists.

For me these days it’s WAZE all the way, even locally as not only are the fixed cameras marked the mobile units are updated in real time.

A big shout out to all Wazers on Briskoda, thanks. 😎

• Thanks 1

Does Waze only work if given a destination and you stick to it. I.e on my previous RAV4 I could drive with Toyota sat nav on but without a fixed destination set and it indicated speed camera positions. Just loaded Waze and just been out this morning but it froze on me and didn’t recalibrate the route when I chose an alternative route to the same destination. 

36 minutes ago, Aust said:

Does Waze only work if given a destination and you stick to it. I.e on my previous RAV4 I could drive with Toyota sat nav on but without a fixed destination set and it indicated speed camera positions. Just loaded Waze and just been out this morning but it froze on me and didn’t recalibrate the route when I chose an alternative route to the same destination. 

Can’t be 100% but I’m sure WAZE doesn’t get upset if you go off route - not sure about the recalculating but I’ve never noticed it not.

Thanks to all for the info. Shame we cannot upload them in the new car. I'll try Waze. However given the pandemic I don't envisage much travel anyway. Stay safe all.

On 26/06/2021 at 08:58, Aust said:

Had a little play around yesterday and apart from the usual satnav tantrums about being off route / turnaround / do a U turn / etc WAZE carried on as normal, no freezing or other problems and was quite happy to display all ‘info’ around me without any destination set. 

If only it was possible to get WAZE onto the virtual cockpit display………….