Map updates - Again!!!!

Hi sorry to have to re-visit this topic again but I have downloaded the Zip File and unloaded that (version 187) and tried to update the car (2017 version Columbus). The car can't find any data.

Having checked my usb stick (64GB) I find a file in addition to the Map file. It is annotated  WMPInfo,xml   Dated 31/12/2097  (xml doc).

The date of 2097 intrigues me. Have we been in lockdown that long? 

I am inclined to delete the WMP file and try again. Any other suggestions? 

Edited by Sandgroper

Thanks for your response! I have tried after removing the odd content but again, no joy. I am now downloading again from Martinib 's post. I noticed on another post that someone had success after unzipping using 7zip, so I might try that at some point.

9 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

Thanks for your response! I have tried after removing the odd content but again, no joy. I am now downloading again from Martinib 's post. I noticed on another post that someone had success after unzipping using 7zip, so I might try that at some point.

Yes I use 7zip to unzip it. 

On 12/07/2020 at 07:24, Sandgroper said:

i've been using the built-in windows extractor all these years with no issues. 

just make sure u only the following contents in the sd-card root folder.  nothing else:-

- Mib1 (folder)

- Mib2 (folder)

- metainfo2 (text document)

One thing to try if it doesn't start updating as soon as you put the card in the slot. Go to Nav / settings and select version information. It will show you the current version installed and ask if you want to update (my MY17 works like that, it may vary slightly on newer models). It will then tell you it is looking for updates. This seemed to take ages for me, so stick with it. Then it starts updating and shows percentage complete. When done, it restarts the navigation system, though you can use nav while it is updating. 

For me MY 2019 - if the infotainment system has started and is on the home screen. When I insert an SD card with the data JR RS above notes on the root of the SD card. I get a message 'Map updates are available".  Then when I navigate to the Settings > System > there is a update maps option ready to go. Forget the exact option that shows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, digifish said:

For me MY 2019 - if the infotainment system has started and is on the home screen. When I insert an SD card with the data JR RS above notes on the root of the SD card. I get a message 'Map updates are available".  Then when I navigate to the Settings > System > there is a update maps option ready to go. Forget the exact option that shows.

Me too - usually. But not this time, hence its worth checking via nav settings as that did work for me.

Just back from another unsuccessful attempt.

When I go to settings it does fleetingly tell me that it is reading the USB/SD and I go to the 'Version' tag, tap the update option, this then tells me that its looking for the updates but eventually tells me that it can't find any! Mine is a 2017 Superb and it sounds as it is the same version as Jeff's!

I now have two USB's with the info on as set out on previous posts, extracted by different computer apps.

I am going to try putting the data onto an SD chip to see if that works. It is something really simple but very frustrating!!!

On 11/07/2020 at 10:42, Sandgroper said:

Hi sorry to have to re-visit this topic again but I have downloaded the Zip File and unloaded that (version 187) and tried to update the car (2017 version Columbus). The car can't find any data.

Having checked my usb stick (64GB) I find a file in addition to the Map file. It is annotated  WMPInfo,xml   Dated 31/12/2097  (xml doc).

The date of 2097 intrigues me. Have we been in lockdown that long? 

I am inclined to delete the WMP file and try again. Any other suggestions? 

I have had the same issue driving me up the wall.  I have MacBook, difficult to convert to Skoda’s NFTS file format!

I have a Mac and have struggled on the 2 attempts I've made to get the system to accept the download from Skoda.

I have had success using VW Discovercare program. There's a version for the Mac and it will format the SD card and download the data onto it.

Unfortunately the VW download of the software seems to be temporarily disabled.

The VW equivalent of the 9.2 Columbus is the Discover Pro.

This is the link to the Golf R version which should work.

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/?car=9f7f14ba-5cb6-49fd-bd7f-7513cc6dd207&navi=a7208a1f-88e4-4be9-b8c4-5cb805deaa59

Still no success!

Might have to try a dealer and actually pay for the update.

No real panic, not going anywhere so will just keep trying I guess. The data in the system is from 2018 so that might be too old in the tooth to update?

1 hour ago, Sandgroper said:

Still no success!

Might have to try a dealer and actually pay for the update.

No real panic, not going anywhere so will just keep trying I guess. The data in the system is from 2018 so that might be too old in the tooth to update?

I'll give it a go for you, if you wish.

If you're happy to post me the USB stick and VIN then I'll try to download your map update and setup the USB stick for you and post it back.

Send me a PM if you want to try that.

29 minutes ago, BOD20 said:

I'll give it a go for you, if you wish.

If you're happy to post me the USB stick and VIN then I'll try to download your map update and setup the USB stick for you and post it back.

Send me a PM if you want to try that.

Thanks for that offer BOD20 , much appreciated. I haven't quite given up yet! Trying a new update, from the official Skoda site this time. Will get back to you when I've had enough!!! Thanks again.

Hi I’ve updated a couple of times in my previous Sportline and now L & K via memory stick which on all occasions was very hit and miss ( mostly miss ). This week I’ve put a WiFi powerline adaptor in the garage and connected the car directly to this and Used a the online update to only update “England South” and “England North, Ireland” , some 984MB which took about 20/30 minutes to finish downloading and stopped so I locked the car and returned a couple of hours later to find all was finished ok and England updates were no longer in the list of available countries. Now they are showing ECE 2020/2021.

1D1E6F37-334B-4A8B-B981-65DD168BAB4D.jpeg

• Like 1

I have considered this tbh. My car is parked in my drive alongside the house with my server within feet, on the other side of the wall! I have a wi-fi booster which I could employ if needed.

I am at the moment waiting for another download to finish and I will try again.

I will have a look at how to connect the car with the internet. Do you use your phone or is it direct from the Infotainment system? 

I inadvertently touched the 'Waypoint' section and couldn't cancel it, so that needs sorting first.

Hi.

My update went smoothly yesterday. (Car is a 2017 L&K)

It was the first long trip for ages so got the USB stick ready before I left home. 

Right click and format usb stick (128 Gbyte) on a Windows 10 laptop. extfat format for this size of USB

Used VIN and downloaded zip file. took about an hour

Went to the download folder, selected the zip and extracted files to the root of the USB stick. Let this run overnight as it was taking a long time.

Contents of USB stick were:

Mib1 (folder)

- Mib2 (folder)

- metainfo2 (text document)

Put in car as I left home. (Centre console USB socket)
Selected upgrade via head unit.

Now it took a few minutes reading the USB (probably 5 or so) and then prompted to confirm upgrade.

The upgrade completed about 45 minutes later.

The last time I did it it did not seem to take so long to inspect the USB from what I remember. Patience is required here.

Xlray.

• Like 1

I haven't had a problem downloading , its just getting the car to receive it! My download from the skoda site is now extracting and I will try again. I noticed  '(1)' after this download so some change at least.

I hope that I can get out of the Waypoint setting that I accidentally triggered!  Never rains but it pours!!!

4 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

I haven't had a problem downloading , its just getting the car to receive it! My download from the skoda site is now extracting and I will try again. I noticed  '(1)' after this download so some change at least.

I hope that I can get out of the Waypoint setting that I accidentally triggered!  Never rains but it pours!!!

The (1) means it's identical, do it again and you'll just get (2).