Tyre Safety: 5 Year Rule

Hi all,

Thought I'd start this thread, as I was surprised to be quoted the above 5 year rule by an online retailer after enquiring age of tyres am looking at buying.  

I was told that, a tyre is good on a car up to ten years and all tyre manufacturers say this:

Tyre Safety: 5 Year Rule
Tyres are considered to be “new” and fit for retail up to 5 years from the date of production.

This is an industry standard based on the German BRV.

I am currently looking at replacing all four of my tyres, due to their age (8 years old) and showing signs of it too - hard ride, hairline cracks now showing. The treads depth are absolutely fine, as I mostly do less than 1000 miles or less a year.  

I am not sure about being sold a tyre that is nearly 5 years old.

What are other peoples' opinions and experiences?

Edited by 247

Do not buy tyres that are 5 years old, or 4 or even 3 then. 

Buy tyres from someplace that does not sell old stock, tell the seller / supplier you are wanting tyres no ore than one year old.

and check the date code on the tyres you buy.

UV light exposure and heat from weather and usage will account for most of the age-related degradation when fitted to a vehicle. All of these should be absent until the tyre is fitted. So not a biggie.

• Like 2

If you do a thousand miles a year you need a bicycle, hire car or taxi instead of a car (and changing aged tyres, spoiled fuel, DPF problem etc)

I think unfitted tyres stored in the dark and kept cool keep a lot longer than an unused car with sunlight (UV) degrading them - and that's without the vehicle weight causing flat spots, which was apparently a really BIG problem back in cross ply days I'm told - I'm not quite that old...

A lot will depend on how they are stored

Light, temperature variation etc all affect it

The simple answer if you want to ensure that you do not get old stock, is to specify a tyre that only came out within last year.  Might cost bit more, but you get latest technology.

In my opinion for summer tyres it's not that important. For winter tyres it is. 5 years could be about right but basically you have to judge according to your feelings. If you get an impression that the tyre isn't as good as it used to be then maybe it's the time to change it.

When buying new tyres try to get new ones. I usually ask the question about their age while ordering them. If they are old or "well, we don't know but anyway they are nice tyres" - no, thank you. And yes, like said before, check the marking on the tyres to be 100% sure that they are really as new as said to be.

Edited by Jevpls
added information