Karoq Sportline - disconnecting sound generator

skodamota

Hi all,

New member here and really enjoying the forum. Will post up some pics of my new ride shortly.

Has anyone physically unplugged the sound generator on their Karoq Sportline? I know it can be turned off through the Individual drive mode, but my Karoq always defaults to Normal drive mode each time the car is started, and you need change back to Individual drive mode. I have the personalised key as well but it always starts in Normal drive mode.

It also sounds like the sound generator is still audible at certain revs and engine load, even if you turn it off in Individual drive mode.

I've seen 'how to' guides for the Octavia, but removing some clips and plastic cladding at the bottom of the windscreen of the Karoq reveals a different looking setup, and I'm not sure what I'm working with or what to unplug.

Any help much appreciated   

Watching for replies with interest! I was thinking I'd have to get Carista or an OBDeleven app to kill it when I get my Sportline (assuming that it's as pointless as it sounds!)

Chris

2 minutes ago, Fux said:

I have a sportline but don't know which sound generator you speak of? Is sound system pumping fake engine noise into the cabin or?

As I understand it, there is a 'loudspeaker' called a Soundaktor' mounted below the windscreen which vibrates more in Sport mode, and generates a 'sporty sound' through the windscreen as you accelerate. Carista etc allow you to adjust the volume down to zero if you dislike the fake engine noise.

Does that mean I can take out the playing card I put in the spokes then.  Takes me back to my youth 🙂

Bit naff of Skoda to be frank.  

9 minutes ago, smipx said:

Does that mean I can take out the playing card I put in the spokes then.  Takes me back to my youth 🙂

Bit naff of Skoda to be frank.  

It's VAG-wide unfortunately! There are many YouTube videos showing how to disconnect it on Golf GTIs, SEAT Cupras etc. 

As I've said before, my first car was a 2 1/4 litre Vauxhall Velox with two silencers which was too quiet for me, so I replaced the rear silencer box with a flared out copper pipe! I've grown up since then though :)

Edited by CJJE
spelling error
  • Like 1

I didn't realise that the Sportline had one. it certainly isn't audible to me and mine has sat in "normal" since I had it.

Her Golf GTi has, well, had, one .  It was an awful, stupid contraption. I followed the instructions on the various Golf forums and after losing several fingers managed to get my hand under the scuttle and unplug it.   But like an angry wasp that refuses to die it still vibrated on it's mounting. I'm now minus my whole arm virtually as I managed to get in with a spanner and remove it completely.  It was last seen being tipped into a council bin lorry.

I'm not sure why VW / Skoda/ Audi think that total idiots drive their products...??

When I was 17 I added a twin air horn to my sports car and thought it was really cool.  It was a citroen LNA11E.  I felt good at the time - best days of my life and all that.  I would add that I didn't actually buy the car - it was given to me by my dad 😎

This seems a bit like that.   What were the marketing folk at VAG thinking.

Edited by smipx
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just got a Sportline 190PS 4x4 and suspect it has one of those sound generators.  Has anyone found out how to turn it off??  Can a fuse be removed or is it more complicated than that?  Thanks.

20 minutes ago, Tim1631 said:

Do all Sportlines come with the fake sound in sport mode? 

Not sure if it's just the 190PS 2.0 TSI & 2.0TDI??

The Sound Generator function, which offers occupants an impressive and more unique note, is newly available for the Škoda Karoq Sportline with the 140-kW (190-PS) 2.0 TSI or TDI engines. The Sound Generator function is exclusively available with Driving Mode Select and is therefore part of the Škoda Karoq Sportline's standard equipment.

16 hours ago, Tim1631 said:

The Sound Generator function, which offers occupants an impressive and more unique note, is newly available for the Škoda Karoq Sportline with the 140-kW (190-PS) 2.0 TSI or TDI engines. The Sound Generator function is exclusively available with Driving Mode Select and is therefore part of the Škoda Karoq Sportline's standard equipment.

Thank goodness, I thought mine didn't have the stupid thing.....

Perhaps Skoda could issue the buyers of all 190 motored vehicles a pair of greased up latex gloves and details of their local recycling centre where it can be safely dumped.........

Or perhaps a local fairground operator for the dodgem cars ...?

• Haha 1

i think this is something i may miss when i get my 1.5tsi sportline. My Leon Cupra has this sound generator and i really like it

Mine is the 190 Sportline and it is really annoying.  It's not just in "Sport" mode, but "Normal" and "Comfort" as well (getting quieter in each).  I found reference in the manual to the fuse, but can't just remove it, as same fuse used for various other electrics.

So it's back to putting the mode into Individual mode each time, where I've saved the settings with the engine sound turned off.  Be good if they could release an upgrade that enables all the modes to be customisable.

Not sure that they'd allow all modes to be customised, but just having an option in the car settings menu would be possible.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've discovered the sound generator (soundaktor) in the Sportline models can be turned off (or more specifically the volume can be turned all the way down), and this applies to all Drive Modes. You'll need OBDeleven or VCDS coding tool to do this. I changed it using OBDeleven. To make the change using OBDEleven:

Select ' Structure Borne Sound' Control Unit

Select  'Adaptation'

Select 'Volume of structure-borne noise actuator' 

You can then adjust volume of the sound generator as a percentage. By default mine was set to 100% but I changed it to 0%. 

With the above change the sound generator is not heard in any Drive Modes, including Sport.

Very happy to have got rid of this generated/amplified noise in my 2.0TSI 190PS Sportline. And much more convenient than having to change the car out of the Normal drive mode to Individual every time the car is restarted in order to silence the sound generator. Not that the engine is particularly tuneful, but much rather hear what it is doing compared to fake noise.  

You can also make various other changes with the coding tools mentioned above (disable stop/start, change accelerator to more progressive setting etc). Well worth the spend. Here's a link to OBDeleven for those interested:

https://obdeleven.com/en/

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/09/2020 at 05:23, skodamota said:

I've discovered the sound generator (soundaktor) in the Sportline models can be turned off (or more specifically the volume can be turned all the way down), and this applies to all Drive Modes. You'll need OBDeleven or VCDS coding tool to do this. I changed it using OBDeleven. To make the change using OBDEleven:

Select ' Structure Borne Sound' Control Unit

Select  'Adaptation'

Select 'Volume of structure-borne noise actuator' 

You can then adjust volume of the sound generator as a percentage. By default mine was set to 100% but I changed it to 0%. 

With the above change the sound generator is not heard in any Drive Modes, including Sport.

That is good to know.  The sound is so annoying as doesn't sound anything like a real engine.

Which version of the OBDeleven will work?  Seems to be various hardware versions on their website, and there's also a "free" iphone app.  I only want to change this one setting .

1 hour ago, djshakey said:

That is good to know.  The sound is so annoying as doesn't sound anything like a real engine.

Which version of the OBDeleven will work?  Seems to be various hardware versions on their website, and there's also a "free" iphone app.  I only want to change this one setting .

The old version should do it I believe, but you may have to buy the 'Pro' version to code it rather than use an inbuilt app. It may be easier for you to find someone living locally who can make the change for you with OBDeleven or Carista for a nominal pint of beer?

23 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

I have a 190ps edition model. Presumably this pointless sound pollution is omitted from my car?

As an aside is there any way to get the car to default to E mode on start up rather than having to select this every time?

Yours is a TDI isn't it? As far as I know, the Soundaktor is only fitted on the 2.0 TSI Sportline. 

And no one has mentioned a way of making recent cars default to the last used driving mode like the older cars did. It must be a change to keep emissions in line with the tested values - although like you I favour using the Eco mode as standard. 

3 hours ago, CJJE said:

Yours is a TDI isn't it? As far as I know, the Soundaktor is only fitted on the 2.0 TSI Sportline. 

And no one has mentioned a way of making recent cars default to the last used driving mode like the older cars did. It must be a change to keep emissions in line with the tested values - although like you I favour using the Eco mode as standard. 

It's fitted to the most powerful petrol and diesel engines