Recommendation - don't get Dunlop SportMaxx tyres

tommygards

Hi all,

I had some Dunlop SportMaxx tyres fitted about 6 months ago, all four tyres (225/40/R18). My car recently developed a 'humming' noise from the back of the car that sounded like both wheel bearings were going. I had it checked out and it turns out that the rubber compound of the tyres appears too soft for the car and the compound / tread is flattening, causing this humming noise. The garage said they've had it with these tyres with Audi's etc too and recommends to avoid them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Skoda Dealership employees were also blamed tyres commonly be they Dunlop, Continental, Pirelli, Bridgestone  or even Michelin.

They see Skoda vehicles quite often and maybe more often than Independent Garages.

But then Skoda fitted them at the factory and continued to.  They were never going to blame the tyres and tell the Tyre Manufacturers to clear off and stop supplying them.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/482825-tyre-noise

12 minutes ago, tommygards said:

Thanks. I wasn't sure what caused it - i think i'll just go for Michelin cross climate that people are recommending in future.

Looking at that tread pattern on them tyres I would avoid them if I’d been shown them at a tyre garage. 

But that’s just my opinion 

10 minutes ago, Snapper1725 said:

Looking at that tread pattern on them tyres I would avoid them if I’d been shown them at a tyre garage. 

But that’s just my opinion 

That’s fair enough. I used to have black circle own brand and never had this problem 😂

Dunlop SportMaxx  to to the left, Pirelli Zero Nero on the car.

CrossCliimate in 265/18's at bottom.

You will be avoiding lots of Summer tyres while looking for different tyre patterns and compounds.

Going for 'All Weather / All Season / 3 mountain winter certificated tyres' will get you different patterns.

post-86161-0-97650900-1459325208.jpg.ca44cbf95b8c6919857988bc80fd0956.jpg.52d030a2d61a00f64893a423592c15d3.jpg

DSCN3659.JPG.cd97dc6e8c02b8ba91706dd13bcb6e0d.jpeg.98549feedac4982c4cb42f1f9ce208c3.jpeg

Edited by Roottoot
  • Like 1

Sounds like the dreaded saw toothing of the rear tyres.

I am running higher tyre pressures on my estate and this is definitely helping rear tyre wear.

Also, a proper 4 wheel alignment is highly recommended.

Two years ago I discovered my rears were worn to the cords on the extreme inner edge, rest of the tyre was ok.

Alignment was well off, been much better since full alignment was done and running a higher pressure.

I have found the Crossclimates really good on all surfaces and weathers.

I bought my Octavia in January and it had these. Very loud and struggled with power in the wet especially. Tread was getting low at the front.

I shelled out for the award winning Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2. So much quieter and superb in heavy rain. Also highly rated in snow apparently. 

Can't fault them on these hot summer days too. 

Interesting thread. Liewise, I bought a 2016 Octavia and it had 4 Dunlop Sportmaxx tyres. The rear, I asssume are the original. Dated the 50th week of 2015. To be fair they seem reasonable tyres. Need to change the rears and were considering buying 2 more. Having said that, ASDA tyres have some good prices for Bridgestone and Goodyears.

I have a Octavia 4x4 estate and fitted Prestivo Sport tyres . I have fitted these to all my cars recently and never had any problems ,hard wearing and used by a lot of taxis in my area . 

On 29/07/2020 at 11:18, tommygards said:

Hi all,

I had some Dunlop SportMaxx tyres fitted about 6 months ago, all four tyres (225/40/R18). My car recently developed a 'humming' noise from the back of the car that sounded like both wheel bearings were going. I had it checked out and it turns out that the rubber compound of the tyres appears too soft for the car and the compound / tread is flattening, causing this humming noise. The garage said they've had it with these tyres with Audi's etc too and recommends to avoid them.

Whilst cleaning the car last night I noticed small cracks in these tyres that run from the tread to the edge of the tyre. There isn't any noise from the tyres - just wondered if these cracks are normal for Dunlop's? 

On 13/08/2020 at 08:00, LLCC1975 said:

Whilst cleaning the car last night I noticed small cracks in these tyres that run from the tread to the edge of the tyre. There isn't any noise from the tyres - just wondered if these cracks are normal for Dunlop's? 

The size of your crack matters, big cracks are never a good thing, how old are your tyres, check the sidewall, date code is a 4 figure code in an oval, in the format of wwyy, so ww is week of production (in the year), and yy the year, most tyre sellers will say 5 years is 'too old', obviously better tyre dealers will say usage/UV exposure/standing time unused/how they look matters (much) more. Photo?

8 hours ago, NJRJ said:

The size of your crack matters, big cracks are never a good thing, how old are your tyres, check the sidewall, date code is a 4 figure code in an oval, in the format of wwyy, so ww is week of production (in the year), and yy the year, most tyre sellers will say 5 years is 'too old', obviously better tyre dealers will say usage/UV exposure/standing time unused/how they look matters (much) more. Photo?

The tyres were manufactured in the 48th week of 2018. The small cracks appear to work out from the centre grip to the outer edge of the tyre. 

I bought the car a year ago, and saw a receipt stating that the Dunlop's were fit in February 2019. 

The rears are the same model of Sportmaxx, manufacturered late 2015. This would mean that they are the original tyres. Having just gone over 46k, I don't think they have done too badly. They have the same small cracks as the front. I assumed it was a Dunlop thing as I've not had this brand of tyre before. 

The rears from 2015 will be changed in the next couple of months. Based on the fact that they have lasted 5 years, tempted to get more Dunlop's. However, if the cracking is a manufacturing thing will go for a different brand.

Have historically used Hankook, tempted to go back to them. Will change the rears, and if the cracking impacts upon the tyres per se, will get all 4 swapped. 

IMG_20200816_074932799.jpg

Crackinis common on Dunlop's in my experience...   I had 4 SP01 crack down to the cord in the sipes on our 4x4 a few years ago after only a few months.  I won't be buying Dunlop tyres again!

In all honesty, I have been really pleased with the performance of the Sportmaxx RT tyres. Like many have commented, the cracks are not ideal. Out of curiosity thought I would email Dunlop with some photos to see if they have any thoughts. Let's see if they reply or come back with any comments. 

• 2 weeks later...