New personal best - 1.5Tsi 83.3mpg / 153miles

37 minutes ago, BBDom said:

Not bad considering it was Friday afternoon traffic - M1 / M25 for most of it, aircon was on full and it was knocking on 32 degrees C outside the car for most of the trip.

83mpg.jpg.01a2488c236879741dfaf130be6dc7c2.jpg

Very impressive indeed!

DSG or manual?

Pretty impressive to say the least, don't think that I ever saw mpg that good even when I had a 1.6 TD Octavia 3 Estate! My car doesn't seem to do much better than low 50's mpg nowadays and more usually low 40's mpg after the software fix which took about 10% off of its fuel economy.

10 hours ago, BBDom said:

Not bad considering it was Friday afternoon traffic - M1 / M25 for most of it, aircon was on full and it was knocking on 32 degrees C outside the car for most of the trip.

Very Good.  Had mine in the 70s mpg and range in the 700 miles plus.  Car loves being held to 50 mph in the traffic controls and using coasting down hills helps the figures.

Must admit usually happy to settle for 60 mpg and cruising a bit higher ie in the 60s  and taking some A roads where 50-55 mph is the norm.

Mines DSG so coasts down hills automatically  in DSG.  Also picking the occasional and slip streaming of  transit van or the like.

Only the 16 inch 205 tyres set iin the mid 30s PSI rather than the mpg damaging 17s or 18 inch wheels.

Well done, who needs diesels with all their pollution baggage with mpg like this.        

• Like 1

I normally only use the car for the 12-13 mile (each way) commute to work each day. Rarely get less than 60mpg at the moment. We did take it for a decent run a couple of weekends ago but I had my wife in the car who moans if I do less than 70mph .....

This is the first time in my year and a half of ownership when I've taken it on a decent long run and driven it in a nice chilled out way - it certainly pays back.

What does annoy me is the "Green Score" of 81 !! What do Skoda want to get to 100 ? :D

19 minutes ago, BBDom said:

I normally only use the car for the 12-13 mile (each way) commute to work each day. Rarely get less than 60mpg at the moment. We did take it for a decent run a couple of weekends ago but I had my wife in the car who moans if I do less than 70mph .....

This is the first time in my year and a half of ownership when I've taken it on a decent long run and driven it in a nice chilled out way - it certainly pays back.

What does annoy me is the "Green Score" of 81 !! What do Skoda want to get to 100 ? :D

I find the Green Score impossible to keep in the 90s.  Starts there then slips back at a varying rate.  Not sure what parameters it uses, probably deducts for using air con or any electrical usage  even  the air circ even if air not used but would not know if the window is open so a non-sense.

Think my rear tyres are still the Michelin Greeen OE even though I have just crossed 60k miles  !  Fronts only last 30k or so , now on Avon ZV7 from Tyreleader  costing less than £42 for V rated tyres.  

Had the servicing costs nailed down at every 10 months a 20K service but since Covid I am only doing  a few hundred a month instead of a coupel fo thousand so sub optimal  cost efficient as I will have to service under the time parameter rather than mileage on variable servicing.

Road tax only £20 a year as registered a few days before the new  road tax regime came in.

Only an electric car will match this low running cost as a replacement that I can see.  Model 3 Long Range  to cover my 300 mile occasional daily visits to airports or ports needed or one of the conventional car makers to step up and match Tesla.   

Edited by lol-lol

11 minutes ago, EnterName said:

That is amazing! You must have a gifted right foot. 😊

Well it had to be good for something - it was certainly no good for football .......

• Haha 1

On 08/08/2020 at 09:15, lol-lol said:

Only an electric car will match this low running cost as a replacement that I can see.  Model 3 Long Range  to cover my 300 mile occasional daily visits to airports or ports needed or one of the conventional car makers to step up and match Tesla.  

Err, only if you exclude having to pay for the actual vehicle itself.   A 25mpg Chelsea tractor could work out cheaper than an electric car if you're talking about overall running costs :D   

A 25mpg Chelsea Tractor really might not work out costing less to anyone in Scotland even buying with a 6 year interest free loan and free charging and parking 

and tax benefits of using an EV.

Even those leasing an EV can save themselves cash money over driving a ICE vehicle.

Each 200 miles costing about £40ish in petrol or diesel. I know because i pay that each 200 miles often.

Edited by e-Roottoot

10 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

A 25mpg Chelsea Tractor really might not work out costing less to anyone in Scotland even buying with a 6 year interest free loan and free charging and parking 

and tax benefits of using an EV.

Even those leasing an EV can save themselves cash money over driving a ICE vehicle.

I have a bit of a psychological barrier to buying an EV. Planning journeys around charge points bothers me.

I might be wrong about this, but the idea of having to go somewhere I would not otherwise go, hang around for half and hour or so while my car charges, is not something I feel comfortable about buying into just now.

EV costs seem to be remarkably low right now, but I would bet my pension that when EVs take off in a big way, that cost will rise in the form of some sort of "green tax" or whatever.

Personally, if I manage to get 50 MPG out of my 2.0 petrol, I shall be crowing about it. I'm in awe of @BBDom's 83.3MPG.

Edited by EnterName
changed hand to hang

@EnterName

Do not get an EV then.  It is as simple as that.  If your regular journeys are to places where charging is not an issue and involves waiting around anyway or you have nothing particular you need to do for an hour every 4 hours or so it works for people that do have them.

You have money to blow on stuff that you might not have otherwise if you spend it on fuel, congestion charges etc.

Somepeople can get some work done while their vehicles gets charged.

Edited by e-Roottoot

1 hour ago, Scot5 said:

Err, only if you exclude having to pay for the actual vehicle itself.   A 25mpg Chelsea tractor could work out cheaper than an electric car if you're talking about overall running costs :D   

Who buys vehicles these days (answer is around 10%). PCP is the norm and add to that the many cars particularly for those of us who do high annual mileages, the car is a business tool.

I get £9K a year car allowance which I will often lose £3,700 in tax as the car benefit is paid through payroll.

An EV is now 0% as Benefit in Kind so company could get for me and supply at a very reasonable price.......

https://www.parkers.co.uk/car-buying/2019/uk-pricing-for-tesla-model-3-slashed/

"Long Range models will set you back £602 per month via PCP, or £682 per month on a Hire Purchase deal. Performance models start from £590 per month with PCP, or £751 per month with Hire Purchase. 

Model 3 LR is in a different performance league to any standard Skoda of course so it is comparing Avocados to Turnips and  the Tesla range on a single charge is still relatively poor but as the best of EVs it has access to the Tesla Supercharging network.

Power at 2 p a mile rather than 10p plus a mile  and not further damaging the planet is a big draw to some of us.      

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

I would not spend over £600 a month on a car. Mine costs me just over £200 a month and I wont use nearly £400 a month on fuel.

Tesla are overpriced and very underwhelming vehicles.

Also ev cars cause more damage to the planet than people realise. The amount of natural resources that are needed purely to make the batteries needed. Also the electricity to actually charge the batteries is not free. Most come from coal powered stations and the small percentage from renewable energy sources. Suddenly these zero emission cars become quite high emissions in the making and maintening.

Edited by Ecomatt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ecomatt said:

I would not spend over £600 a month on a car. Mine costs me just over £200 a month and I wont use nearly £400 a month on fuel.

Tesla are overpriced and very underwhelming vehicles.

Also ev cars cause more damage to the planet than people realise. The amount of natural resources that are needed purely to make the batteries needed. Also the electricity to actually charge the batteries is not free. Most come from coal powered stations and the small percentage from renewable energy sources. Suddenly these zero emission cars become quite high emissions in the making and maintening.

But companies do, £750 a month for my company car allowance and £400 a month on my fuel card ie £1150 per month.

They could provide an really good EV ie a high spec Tesla which would probably only use about £100 of energy per month to cover my 2000 miles a month and save themselves hundreds of pounds a month over their existing expenditure.

Plus gain greener credentials.

• Like 1

@Ecomatt

Have you any idea of the energy & Oil & Gas is used to get oil & gas to the UK & to produce Electricity to refine it to produce road fuels in cracking plants?

Electricity generating in the UK is not difficult,  it is the Government that makes it a song and dance and likes plastering about with England and Wales and the National Grid and infrastructure. Storage of the energy that can be produced is the issue hence importing it from abroad while paying to not produce in the UK turning off generation from Wind Farms and Gas / Oil powered and other renewable generations.

How much actual electricity is being produced this year in the UK from burning coal?

http://gridwatch.co.uk

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-47386760

Edited by e-Roottoot

On 07/08/2020 at 23:56, BBDom said:

I find the figure wrong. It is impossible to get such mileage unless there was wind blowing hard from the rear or you drove downhill or behind a large lorry. It is just physics.

Edited by RicardoM
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RicardoM said:

I find the figure wrong. It is impossible to get such mileage unless there was wind blowing hard from the rear or you drove downhill or behind a large lorry. It is just physics.

The car's computer does tend to over read by about 5% so 83 mpg is probably somewhat less than true 80 mpg.

If one is cruising at 50 mph or less the amount of horsepower  to do this is less the 10 hp so one does not need much fuel to supply 10 hp or so.

Do all the tricks of hyper-miling, use other vehicles to break the frontal wind resistance, coast down hills and getting near 80 mpg is entirely possible for the petrol version and the diesel version ie the 1.6 tdi with the 7 speed DSG running in ECO mode get display close to 90 mpg and be running  genuine 85 mpg  is possible.

All that said doing this on the motorway or even A roads in the UK means running slower that many of the Articulated trucks and being a bit of a menace on the road sometimes so I tend to hop  within the traffic and sometime pick a lorry travelling at around 50 mph  and stay some 20 metres behind, just in his mirrors, especially when on works phone calls or early for a meeting.

Something we do on the naked motorcycles sometimes, especially in to a headwind, to give our necks a rest and it helps mpg too.  Amazing what one can do with a bit of slipstreaming.............

or how about 127.3 mph......

https://cycling.ahands.org/bicycling/datewithdeath.html

Jose Meiffret 1962

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 2

I've just completed a 130 mile drive in my 1.5, first 100 miles at 70, last 30 at 54 (along the m27), trip computer has 57.5. I don't see why 80 isn't possible. No pulls from lorries etc.

• Like 1

I was happy with 49mpg total yesterday. Around 50 miles mixed driving including a stint at 80mph ish on the 23 miles back, not overly cautious throughout. 
That 83mpg is incredible though. Top work. 

Mine with a 1.5tsi DSG SE Estate. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Do all the tricks of hyper-miling, use other vehicles to break the frontal wind resistance, coast down hills and getting near 80 mpg is entirely possible for the petrol version and the diesel version ie the 1.6 tdi with the 7 speed DSG running in ECO mode get display close to 90 mpg and be running  genuine 85 mpg  is possible.

I didn't read anything saying the OP did all that. Instead we got a nice story about how easy it is to get a record mileage with AC on full blast. Give me a break...