Air Con Service

4 minutes ago, Steve vRS said:

My dealer is trying to sell me an air con service. The car is 2 years old. Is this needed For a ‘full service history’, especially as the car is a lease car. 

I do not believe it is needed for a full service history. I’m sure lease companies won’t be paying for it on fleet cars.

Personally I think it’s good practise to do it every 2 years but if I had a lease car I honestly wouldn’t bother if it worked ok.

(Armchair opinion only - check with your lease company before accepting my advice 😬)

Edited by classic
  • Thanks 1

A 'Full Main Dealer Service History ' would be servicing to the Manufacturers Schedule or 'Guidelines',  and a Service of the A/C does not appear in the Oil & Inspection Servicing, or the Extended Scope at 3 years in the 'Skoda Fixed Price Servicing and Maintenance, or in the 'Service Plans' if you buy a 2 or 3 year one.

Brake Fluid changes are an 'extra' cost option as well.

Skoda / VW / Audi / SEAT Approved used cars might have a 'Full Main Dealer Service History',   That will show what little 'Full Main Dealer Servicing' actually means gets done in 3 years.

They / Skoda Dealers and Skoda should be a bit better at reminding owners / keepers about Haldex Service at 3 years, DSG at 40,000 miles, 

and less about A/C services at 2 years.

Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 18.21.00.png

Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 18.21.55.png

Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 18.22.12.png

Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 18.22.32.png

Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 18.22.51.png

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Thanks 1

Couldn't agree more that it's up selling. My 2016 is still as cold as it was last year when I bought it and there's nothing in the history to say it's ever been serviced.  With climate control it's on all year round, so the oil and gas is moving round the system and keeping it lubricated. 

Edited by paulski

All the comments about peoples vehicles will have been for R134a refrigerant, the OP will have the newer and much more expensive R1234yf refrigerant.

If the aircon is still cooling properly then I would do nothing, the dealer is upselling.

With the new gas there is a potential for it to become contaminated by air being drawn into the system, this is because during a prolonged rest period at European non summer temperatures the gas can liquify and the system pressure drop below atmospheric pressure, air will then be pushed into the system if the service port caps are not in place, have not been fully tightened or the seals are missing/damaged.

Contaminated gas cannot be reused and the gas is hugely expensive, its a great opportunity for the dealers if they have invested in the necessary equipment and they will want a return on that investment.

Once a year or so of "servicing" has been done on the first R1234yf equipped vehicles if they find that the refrigerants drawn out under vacuum are contaminated it will quickly become a necessary service requirement making them loadsamoney.

Steve vRS, even if you decided to get the A?C serviced, there are many places to go who offer better prices. ATS, for example, had it on a groupon voucher, for £98.49 on its own, £106.99, with the anti bacterial clean added. You will need to join groupon, if not already signed up but thats simple enough!

P.S. For the older gas, the prices are,£38.99 and £45.99,  respectively!

I have no connection with nay of the companies mentioned and if you choose to use, thats sole your choice. I say that as I would not like to suggest something and have people complain if they did a bad job but they are in the business so you pays your money!!!

I am planning on booking the normal gas version myself, BTW!

It does need doing eventually. But 2nyears I find a bit extreme. 

The last time I had an A/C serviced it had been 4 years since the last service. The system was ever so slightly low. No leaks detected.

As long as the system is still sealed and working without problems then there's no need to go overboard with it.

So I'd say 3 to 4 years should do.

I got mine done last summer with the r134a refrigerant, but not at a main dealer.

I personally would say if it’s not in the requirements, and it’s working I would be tempted to make sure the pollen filter has been done and set off an AC cleaning “bomb” and be done until much closer to the time.

Best plan, ask the lease company as if they agree to pay then it’s their call.

3 hours ago, Steve vRS said:

The lease does not include maintenance. 

In that case do only what is listed as required on the service schedule in the car “handbook” and nothing more.

Obviously you can do more like if you want to, but then you’re using your money, to increase the residual value of someone else’s depreciating asset.

You’re already paying that depreciation in the lease charges, so why pay twice.

The dealer is IMHO trying to make some money. As long as you change the pollen filter frequently enough and occasionally let off an AC cleaner in the car, it shouldn’t need anything.

If it is leaking/faulty then the car is still in warranty.

You’ll just hand it back at end of lease and if that is past the end of warranty, you’d do better to use the nearly £200 to buy the warranty extension.