Clutch Pedal Noise

I created a video showing better the noise I get in the superb 2020 model 1.5 TSI with MT 6s. For those that says here the noises are normal, I dare to totally disagree if those noises are same as in the video I posted. You don't hear this type of noise if you drive with your windows closed. While the dealer agreed that there is a noise, the outcome of their check was that its "characteristic" and normal.

I asked to check another 1.5 TSI with 6s MT car (which happened to be an octavia) and the same type of noises are there present as well. To me it looks that these are some mishaps in the engine rev management control that are affecting the clutch and/or the MT, most probably as some side effect of the fixes they did for 1.5 TSI engines (https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/new-cars/2020-03/volkswagen-announces-fix-for-15-tsi-engine-hesitation-issues/). These kind of noises cannot finish well for your transmission (at least) in a longer run. Getting your transmission broken in 2 years (after warranty) is a perspective that I'm not pleased with at all.

My MY2020 car (delivered in august 2019), also 1.5TSI Manual also has/had some gearbox issues. Current status is that they are waiting for a new gearbox from the factory, original one could not be repaired. I was told there were some bearings inside that were worn out.

I'm not sure i heard any noise on 1-2 shifts, but i didn't know to specially listen for that. My sound appeared when the car was hot and could be heard on idle, when clutch was depressed the sound stopped with a slight delay. Also the sound was really apparent when i was engine braking downhill and could be heard inside the cabin.

Your cars mileage is nearly identical to mine. I'm starting to wonder if there is a bigger problem with the facelift manual gearboxes.

11 hours ago, vadimbo said:

While the dealer agreed that there is a noise, the outcome of their check was that its "characteristic" and normal.

They might be right, considering the poor quality of Superb compared to its high price. They know it better. You didn't when you bought it.

standard equipment 😞

On 24/01/2017 at 09:54, MartiniB said:

front rattles can't be solved, that is DSG PHENOMENON

but your engine also sounds to much TDIish

9 hours ago, MartiniB said:

standard equipment 😞

Its hard not to observe the same type of noise that these Skodas with DSG (AT) are producing. The fact that these are with Automatic transmission and mine is with manual transmission it lead me to think that the noise must be coming from the Dual Mass Flywheel (that's the most probable common part I would think of between AT and MT). Having said that started to google and found an interesting video here (from AUDI - see below).

As per the video it means that because of more modern engines with less capacity and more power (fitted with turbo) they are getting to side effects (more engine vibration at lesser revolutions) that has to be dumped better (the purpose of the flywheel) and the implementation of it desires better (in terms of operational noises). So I guess I'll have to stop here and cross my fingers every time I'll go to a trip. 

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, MartiniB said:

standard equipment 😞

Sounds like Dual Mass flywheel failure to me. As in this video on a Gollf

Edited by digifish

I'm not 100% sure the 1.5tsi manual even has a DMF (the DSG will have).  If it doesen't then the clutch friciton plate will have some springs as part of the assembly - I wonder if with the 1.5 &150ps this is on the limit of what a SMF setup can cope with? Just a thought.  

I have Superb 3 1.4 TSI 150 (2016) with manual gears box... same issue... technicians from Skoda service center was clueless what is causing these sounds... Rattle is not only the case for DSG... Also changing the gear sound seems to be conected to ACT system...

I don't hear it from inside if my windows are closed.

29 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

I wonder if with the 1.5 &150ps this is on the limit of what a SMF setup can cope with? Just a thought.  

Not really, there are plenty of 500+HP Audis (2.2 20vT engine for example) rocking around with Single mass flywheels. DMF was implemented on VAGs in mid 90s, because they are more comfortable and quiet than SMF setups.

Actually ditching DMF for SMF is common mod even at lower power levels.  Clutch springs are only a problem if they are not designed for the estimated power level as with everything else. You could have 500HP engine that has no problem with clutch springs, or you could have a 1989 Moskwitch 412 that has 75hp in the best case scenarios and it still decides to puke out the clutch springs because it can.

16 hours ago, LukasK said:

I have Superb 3 1.4 TSI 150 (2016) with manual gears box... same issue... technicians from Skoda service center was clueless what is causing these sounds... Rattle is not only the case for DSG... Also changing the gear sound seems to be conected to ACT system...

I don't hear it from inside if my windows are closed.

@LukasK Could you confirm that the noises you hear in your case are of same characteristic as in my video? (Meaning that you hear only when shifting and its nosier when shifting from 1st to 2nd and/or shifting done faster? Or do you hear some noises in other scenarios as well ?

Also, could you specify how many km you have already and if you had any issues with your MT so that it had to be repaired? And if yes, what exactly had to be fixed?

I have 80000km on my car, bought it with 77000km and it was already there.

I had no serious issues with MT (and according to service book, there were no repairs regarding MT), but sometimes i hear and feel saw sound if iam too quick switching to reverse gear. Also it feels not that precise as i had in my Octavia MkII.

There is another annoying issue - I have to press clutch quickly if I want to change 1 to 2 gear, otherwise car can stutter and rattle sometimes.

I have been adding ZX1 in the correct ratio to manual gearboxes for many years now, with great results. Always kept or made them quieter and smoother. A lot of people complained that dealers changed the oil several times, or changed oil spec to attempt to cure “sticky” changes. 10-15ml of ZX1 leaves them like a new box. Although if it’s clutch mechanicals rattling, then it will have no effect. May be still worth a try if only to rule the wet side of the box out of the equation. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SiSenor said:

@vadimbo I have EXACTLY the same noise. Brand new MT 1.5TSI combi. Driving me crazy. Dealer says there's nothing wrong with it... Have you made any progress getting the issues accepted and resolved by Skoda?

@SiSenor Unfortunately the story with the dealer in my case is exactly the same as yours. They said the same that the noise is normal and when I checked other car MT 1.5 TSI (Skoda Octavia) was showing the same type of noises when changing gears (1st from 2nd).

I reached  Skoda (FB) and they said I have to deal with the local importer from my country (same was suggested by the dealer when I refused to accept their "normal behavior" explanation)

I reached then the official Skoda importer (FIN) and they checked with the dealer and came back to me with basically with the same answer. They mention to get back to the dealer if the noise issue is progressing/worsening. So far, looks like a dead end.

Very curious to hear more about your car, when you started to notice the noise? (did you test drive a MT 1.5TSI car before buying). Do you hear the noises as well only when shifting (mostly from 1st to 2nd) or you get some other noises as well. 

@vadimbo I didn't test drive as my dealer didn't have any Superbs. I made the purchase decision on all the excellent reviews! I am surprised none of them picked it up.

Its not a new noise...its been there pretty much since day 1. Yes, pretty much only 1st and 2nd...no other noises. It is exactly the sound in your video.

Such a shame, as it lets down a great car. I can live with it..but i dont want a catastrophic failure outside warranty!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 09/08/2020 at 15:21, vadimbo said:

I created a video showing better the noise I get in the superb 2020 model 1.5 TSI with MT 6s. For those that says here the noises are normal, I dare to totally disagree if those noises are same as in the video I posted. You don't hear this type of noise if you drive with your windows closed. While the dealer agreed that there is a noise, the outcome of their check was that its "characteristic" and normal.

I asked to check another 1.5 TSI with 6s MT car (which happened to be an octavia) and the same type of noises are there present as well. To me it looks that these are some mishaps in the engine rev management control that are affecting the clutch and/or the MT, most probably as some side effect of the fixes they did for 1.5 TSI engines (https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/new-cars/2020-03/volkswagen-announces-fix-for-15-tsi-engine-hesitation-issues/). These kind of noises cannot finish well for your transmission (at least) in a longer run. Getting your transmission broken in 2 years (after warranty) is a perspective that I'm not pleased with at all.

Hi,

How did you case of this ratteling clutch sound end up?

I have the same issue, Kodiaq bought 04/2021, only 7300 km.

Here is the thread I started, before finding yours:

• 2 years later...

@vadimbo was the issue resolved or its just an operational noise. I have a 1.5 MT TSI Slavia in india which is exactly the same noise. Dealer/ Service center claims these are operational noise. Mine is a brand new car and im little worried if there is an issue on the gearbox/clutch or flywheel. I have seen night mare issues on the DSG getting failure and that is the only reason for me to go with Manual transmission. but this looks like a global issue on the 1.5 TSI Manual.