Pocket Jump Starters

Has anyone used one of the newer pocket sized Lithium Ion  jump starters on their car. I ask as all the leads on these seem to short to reach from the + terminal on the battery to the bulkhead earth point you are supposed to use according to the manual.

Is it safe to connect directly to both battery terminals if you use one of these jump starters in an emergency.

I have one but never used, finger's crossed it continues to be not needed, on my car. 

I think the bulkhead terminal is more for measuring battery state for trickle charging. If your car needs jump starting, it should be okay connecting directly to battery terminal. 

As far as I know the reason you connect to the bulkhead or other earth point is due to the potential to spark when you connect the lead and the discharge gasses that are given off from a battery risking an explosion.

That said, most batteries now are sealed and usually you're doing it outside, with some airflow.

I've certainly jumped cars off the battery when it's been the most convenient place.   

However, often batteries these days have a significant amount of stuff bolted onto them and makes it difficult to get leads onto them.  

Edited by Alex-W
  • Thanks 1

Before doing so, you might want to consult the handbook.  As has been said, there is a risk of sparks igniting hydrogen from the battery if you connect direct.

• Like 1

The bulkhead charging point is for charging so that the battery charge monitor knows that you have applied external charging to the battery. As the booster pack is to give a boost to start the car and not to replenish charge in the battery, other than the sparking risk it should be fine to use the direct battery terminals.

When jump starting it's always advisable to connect the +ve leads first and to the battery terminals, then the -ve leads to somewhere on the body or engine away from the battery so if there are any sparks they will be away from any hydrogen produced by an unsealed battery.

If you look at the spec of them, heres the description from one in halfords - 

GB40 1000A NOCO Jump Starter

The GB40 1000A NOCO Jump Starter is a portable lithium-ion battery jump starter pack that delivers 1,000-amps (7,000 J3S) for jump starting a flat battery in seconds. It features a patented safety technology that provides spark-proof connections and reverse polarity protection making safe and easy for anyone to use. It's a powerful battery booster that doubles as a portable power source for recharging USB devices, such as a smartphone. Designed for a car, boat, RV, truck and more with gas engines up to 6 liters, and diesel engines up to 3 litres.

Plus there's a photo of it connected directly to the terminals.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/battery-maintenance/jump-starters/gb40-1000a-noco-jump-starter-721898.html?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Motoring>Battery+Maintenance>Jump+Starters-_-Motoring>Battery+Maintenance>Jump+Starters-_-721898&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istFeedId=62b447cf-331e-4fec-a47a-9985ff72d404&istItemId=wrpxpiawq&istBid=t&_$ja=tsid:94971|cid:1034356518|agid:51236243736|tid:aud-297219198449:pla-329023466368|crid:244691896474|nw:g|rnd:10182886846755435601|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:1006715&src=3bpdp&gclid=Cj0KCQjws536BRDTARIsANeUZ5_RD7e3MGo9KhCcN_nTof2ble9H8vaYFClaB5EgxSIv7a-7oUe-fl8aAmc9EALw_wcB

I think you've got nothing to worry about tbh.

Edited by Alex-W

1 hour ago, Alex-W said:

spark-proof connections

As a Chartered Electrical Engineer since 1988 I have to say that any claim that you can make a live connection/disconnection without generating a spark is probably made by someone who also sells snake oil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it relates to a small control current being used to sense that it is connected and there is a battery voltage present before the current can flow, you certainly cannot get a spark by flashing the leads together like you could with a battery and jump leads (dont try this at home children).

Note they used the word "connections" and not "disconnection", preventing sparks on the latter would be a challenge. In truth any spark during connection is probably a momentary disconnection.

• Like 1

Unless the circuit is certified Intrinsically Safe then no chance. Read up about the UK's worst pit disaster at Sengenydd Colliery. Low voltage signalling system sparked and ignited methane. Never mind hydrogen/oxygen. 

Just also bought, but not used, a lithium ion jump starter. 

• Like 1