Adding a wireless charger

I'm picking up my SE L First Edition in a couple of days which has most of the options I wanted but one thing I think it's missing is the wireless charger.I just couldn't justify spending £325 on it.

Given that the phone tray is next to a couple of USB C ports, I was wondering if anyone had found a wireless charger that could be used there or if there were any options for retrofitting the original charger.

Your correct it doesn't come with wireless charging. I had a quick look at this for mine. There are various wireless pads available it would be a case of finding one that fits in the space. Might be a nice little earner for some company to do a custom one that fitted perfectly and had a neat connection one of the USB sockets it should be possible to knock out a decent one for <£100.

Just to give people a quick update. I ordered a rectangular Anker wireless pad and gave it a try but it was a little too big by the time the cable was fitted in the end. 

I looked again and found a shorter one by Chotech for £13.99 which was around 3cm shorter (11cm vs 14cm) and this one fits just right. I also bought a 30cm USB-C to micro-USB cable which tucks everything away quite nicely. I'm not sure what the rules are about posting links here but am happy to put more details in if anyone is interested.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Can you do wireless Apple CarPlay as standard with the SEL? That’s what model I’ve ordered and was happy with a cable but it would be nice to get the wireless charging and AC quite cheaply. 
I was the same with the factory option, thought it was a bit pricy. 

On 27/09/2021 at 21:12, edrenshaw said:

Anyone know which wireless charger is being referred to?

Indeed, the link takes me to ‘broken’ page on Amazon.

Question for anyone using this charger: Can it keep pace, that is, can it recharge the phone adequately whilst connected wirelessly to AppleCarplay?

In other words, does the Skoda ‘C’ output provide enough power?

2 hours ago, Berisford said:

Indeed, the link takes me to ‘broken’ page on Amazon.

Question for anyone using this charger: Can it keep pace, that is, can it recharge the phone adequately whilst connected wirelessly to AppleCarplay?

In other words, does the Skoda ‘C’ output provide enough power?

Short answer - yes.

Using CarPlay to stream audio with Spotify and Apple Maps for navigation the wireless charger is sufficient. Enough power to charge my iPhone XR at the same time, albeit slowly.

It seems the charger is no longer available though. A shame ‘cos it fits in the centre console space nicely.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, PITBULL4X4 said:

I’ve tried adding a wireless charger and none of the 5 usb c sockets will power a wireless charger? I’ve tried 2 different ones. Any ideas? 

The wireless charger I have is no longer available so no point me recommending that one!

If I hadn’t been able to get it my next option would have been an Apple MagSafe compatible charger with a ring fitted inside my phone case - have a search on Amazon there are plenty of options to ponder…

If I ever buy an iPhone12 or 13 I might be selling my current charger 😉

16 minutes ago, sneal said:

The wireless charger I have is no longer available so no point me recommending that one!

If I hadn’t been able to get it my next option would have been an Apple MagSafe compatible charger with a ring fitted inside my phone case - have a search on Amazon there are plenty of options to ponder…

If I ever buy an iPhone12 or 13 I might be selling my current charger 😉

I have a iPhone 12 and a MagSafe charger but for some reason none of the usb-c’s will power the MagSafe charger or the other wireless charger I have that was in my old Passat? Works fine plugged into phone or iPad but won’t power the wireless chargers for some reason? 

1 hour ago, PITBULL4X4 said:

I have a iPhone 12 and a MagSafe charger but for some reason none of the usb-c’s will power the MagSafe charger or the other wireless charger I have that was in my old Passat? Works fine plugged into phone or iPad but won’t power the wireless chargers for some reason? 

That’s a bit of a b****r!

Sorry but I’m now out of ideas; and got me wondering about when I upgrade my XR…

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

In hindsight it shouldn’t be that difficult to retrofit the standard wireless charger if the part is available. The charging unit will consist of 2 connectors. One will be a HSD lead that will put into the back of the MIB unit the other will have 3 leads, power, ground, 12v switch. It would be very possible. The wireless charging unit is known as R265. I haven’t managed to find a part number for it as of yet but if you wanted that real clean install that would be the route.

However no doubt the unit itself will cost more than it would have cost to option it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SnailUK said:

Anyone brought one of those from the eBay link? Is it any good?

I make this version for RHD (right hand car version) cars https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234391205037

but temporarily sold out

I'm waiting for feedback and then I'll do more

8 hours ago, Cottis said:

In hindsight it shouldn’t be that difficult to retrofit the standard wireless charger if the part is available. The charging unit will consist of 2 connectors. One will be a HSD lead that will put into the back of the MIB unit the other will have 3 leads, power, ground, 12v switch. It would be very possible. The wireless charging unit is known as R265. I haven’t managed to find a part number for it as of yet but if you wanted that real clean install that would be the route.

However no doubt the unit itself will cost more than it would have cost to option it. 

I wanted to buy myself an original charger, but the dealer wanted 280 EUR for it

• Groan 1

Do u want something like this? 

20220127_103614.jpg

Although I have just noticed that Brodit have for some reason stopped producing the A pillar mount, so what I have here is now impossible to achieve, nor do they do a vent mount for it either. 

So a suction mount maybe the only solution unless Arkon do something like it.

Actually I think that it comes with a vent holder, so it's doable but not like mine.

Edited by TheWanderer

3 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

Do u want something like this? 

20220127_103614.jpg

Although I have just noticed that Brodit have for some reason stopped producing the A pillar mount, so what I have here is now impossible to achieve, nor do they do a vent mount for it either. 

So a suction mount maybe the only solution unless Arkon do something like it.

Actually I think that it comes with a vent holder, so it's doable but not like mine.

I’ve just ordered a Brodit vent mount - it’s available. 
In a previous car I combined it with a Quadlock mount - I’ll post up how I did it when it all arrives and I redo it for the Octy. 

It seems only for the centre, which I would hate. Must be for the right hand vent, but that's at a push, as I hate thing's blocking vents. 

Also it will be low down, so a fat lot of use if you want to use either Google Maps or Waze as that needs to be more eye level not low down, as you will need to give it an occasional glance as you're driving, especially with the new tighter rules in regard to the use of phones in cars and touching them.

The last thing you want to do is be looking down towards the centre console as you're driving and end up in the rear of another vehicle. 

Anyway in such a case then the vent adaptor that (I can confirm comes with the Baseus wireless charger) would be a better proposition, by a long way, as it can be attached to the right hand vent at a better height which is more towards eye level.

Why they (Brodit) don't do the A pillar mount anymore is weird. 

Edited by TheWanderer

19 hours ago, Skodamk4 said:

I make this version for RHD (right hand car version) cars https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234391205037

but temporarily sold out

I'm waiting for feedback and then I'll do more

I wanted to buy myself an original charger, but the dealer wanted 280 EUR for it

You can put me down as interested. I can't remember the exact figure, but it was something around £200 for the wireless charging option which I thought was a little spendy for what is effectively a £20 wireless charging pad. Is there any way you can let me know when these are available again?