KPH/MPH

59 minutes ago, Ajdude said:

Whilst I'm willing to try to give this car a chance as from a ticks the boxes perspective the Octavia is at the top of the list.  However, I don't have confidence in the car and I'll be honest, the driving experience is not particularly good either.  Sometimes it's great, but most of the time the engine seems unresponsive (even in sports mode).  The courtesy car I was given (another 1.5 TSI) was the polar opposite and really nice to drive.  The engine sounds and feels noticeably rougher!

I've no idea what to do if they can't sort the infotainment or the driveability, I've spent 1000 pounds on a new towbar, roof bars, bootliner and rubber mats so it'll be a financial hit, but better that then years of concern.  It's only a car, but as it's the family workhorse it has to be reliable.  Our last car was a ford Grand C-max, bought from new and 8 years /140,000 miles of totally trouble free motoring!  

Here's hoping!

I've personally been polite with my dealer and haven't even hinted at not wanting the car (as I do, just not in the way it has been behaving), but whenever it is returned if even one error comes up I will instigate requesting a return...although my preference would be a swap for a zero mileage replacement...I am not paying the amount I am per month to have month upon month of going back and forth with issues. It is simply not the car that was advertised.

Edited by Gax
  • Like 1

In common with a few others on this thread, I’m taking my car in tomorrow. Will be there for a while whilst Skoda UK do some investigations. Here’s hoping for a positive outcome as I really like the car overall - just want rid of the annoying software niggles!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fossman said:

A new error message on my car this afternoon, proactive occupant protection unavailable.

Looks like it will be visiting the dealer in the near future.

I’ve had that one twice in the last two weeks.  My latest one was volume bar not working.   Mine goes in on the 20th for an undefined period of time.  

Hi all,

I would recommend that those of us who have emailed HJ do so again to update on where we are. I have just done so. I am frustrated by the indefinite time frame being given to sort this problem. Whilst I like the hire car, I have kids and I am terrified about them breaking something or scratching something!

I want to know soon if and when my car can be sorted.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, OctaviaFirstEdit said:

Whilst I like the hire car, I have kids and I am terrified about them breaking something or scratching something !

I'm with you on this even if this loaner (Octy First ed) has more issues than mine!

Anyway, I have had this courtesy dealership car for almost 3 weeks already and my concern is about the it getting dinged in a shopping centre carpark, etc ! At least with a private car rental, I have an excess insurance cover but not for a courtesy car.

And it also winds me up to only do small fuel top up to not hand it back with a full tank when it was almost empty when collecting...

Edited by Coume
  • Like 1

After weeks of waiting the customer service manager where I had the car from spoke to me today and said we need the car and will give you a courtesy car. After a few minutes of talking he decided that they would instead collect my car somewhere between 9 and 11 am on Monday and return it to me by 4.30 pm on the afternoon. I somehow doubt that the issues are being taken seriously if they believe they will be able to fix it all in a few hours. Wait for next weeks thrilling instalment.

11 minutes ago, TheUltraRunner said:

I just noticed a post in the German NX Facebook group saying that Skoda will supposedly (told by a dealer) release a major update in three weeks.

Thanks, lets hope that it is for the issues we are all suffering.  My understanding is that they are in the throes of launching a revamped Kodiaq that is now available with the high tech features that have been causing so much trouble on the Octavia 4.  Words fail!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheUltraRunner said:

I just noticed a post in the German NX Facebook group saying that Skoda will supposedly (told by a dealer) release a major update in three weeks.

This really needs to be OTA straight to the car and not so large that a dealer visit is required.

I'm so annoyed that I got my car in December and I understand one of the updates applied to it dates before I even bought the car, yet the dealer neither applied the update in advance of collection, nor did they ask me to pop in to have it done. And the car didn't pick up the update OTA either.

If these updates are left to the dealers to dispense then none of us are going to receive them other than if we keep asking if there are any updates, or at service time if you use the dealer.

They aren't going to call us in for updates, as it doesn't bring any money in for them, and the service manager has a bottom line to think about.

2 minutes ago, TheUltraRunner said:

@Gax I'm pretty sure such major update will not be released over the air. 

... only small patches are OTA, full updates have to be done in the workshop and can take a considerable time (some have reported several hours).

Every job in a workshop can take hours, days or weeks when they faff about with all the gear and no idea or even have the car sitting around with nothing getting done.  With Software Updates it is not that involved with a trained technician getting an alternative power source on the car, get plugged in and do the necessary.    Get wired in to the job and not their mate 🤠

39 minutes ago, TheUltraRunner said:

@Gax I'm pretty sure such major update will not be released over the air. 

I agree, which is why they'll make no difference to us unless all dealers pro-actively rolls them out. Which they won't.

Oh...and Skoda UK never did follow up on my HJ complaint. They're not interested.

Well, things seem to be taking off in respect of this issue. I have just had the email asking me if I am happy for Skoda UK to contact the Dealer to arrange a courtesy car for me until the issue is resolved by the factory. The questions are 1) how long will this drag on for and 2) what will the Courtessy car be?

1 hour ago, spearmg said:

Well, things seem to be taking off in respect of this issue. I have just had the email asking me if I am happy for Skoda UK to contact the Dealer to arrange a courtesy car for me until the issue is resolved by the factory. The questions are 1) how long will this drag on for and 2) what will the Courtessy car be?

Ive got a Kamiq. Nice car but I am now seeing that as things are opening up and I am travelling with the two kids, the boot just isn't big enough.

6 hours ago, spearmg said:

Took mine in yesterday and the courtesy car is another Octavia Estate. A different spec - SE 1st Ed 1.0Tsi e-Tec DSG as opposed to my SEL 1st Ed 1.5Tsi manual. Timing could be a couple of weeks, or more.

I was told Skoda UK want the dealer to run some diagnostics and submit the results - which will be correlated with results form other cars. Presumably with the expectation that a common factor will be found and lead to a fix.

Have my car back and seemingly okay so far.

I'd been told that the wiring was to be checked, which I found strange. This was never mentioned more than once, and the cure to the car's ailments appears to have been various software updates.

No idea if these were piecemeal and responding to individual issues or what. The way it was described certainly makes it sound like it was all itty bitty updates, who knows maybe even Skoda were writing updates based on my issues.

It's still early days though, I don't want to say all is 100% fine until the cad has had some good and varied use again.

Wouls be goos to hear what progress others have made, as a few people had big issues but have dropped out of this discussion.

Please update us if things are going right, then we'll all know what the fixes were.

20 minutes ago, Gax said:

Have my car back and seemingly okay so far.

Is the mph/kmh issue fixed on your car? If so, what software version have you got now?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coume said:

Is the mph/kmh issue fixed on your car? If so, what software version have you got now?

I didn't have the KPH issue, but have had everything else under the sun (this was the most obvious thread at the time to join, although now it seems there is a new post every thread about software!)

Will investigate later re software version, although IIRC my car gave no info on numbers other than 0891. There is, or was, no menu which specifically used the words 'software version' so I am not sure which number to quote back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coume said:

Software version (I think) is now showing as 0892.

I've photographed the whole of the system information though, in case I am quoting the wrong number.

20210416_104803.jpg

20210416_104815.jpg

20210416_104820.jpg