KPH/MPH

4 hours ago, Ajdude said:

Brief update.  Thanks @OctaviaFirstEditand @Nosnehm for the updates.  A call with Kate this morning confirmed the process as described, with it being with the dealer not Skoda UK.   I'm at liberty of doing that at anytime in the current proceedings.   As for a fix, they're still not sure, it could still be a month or more before a fix has been developed and they're not sure if this is going to software or hardware.   

I am interested about the software or hardware because I was told that it was DEFINITELY software. That was three weeks ago. I wonder if it is proving so difficult that they are thinking about new head units.

26 minutes ago, OctaviaFirstEdit said:

I am interested about the software or hardware because I was told that it was DEFINITELY software. That was three weeks ago. I wonder if it is proving so difficult that they are thinking about new head units.

Wouldn't it be so much better if they could be open, informative and truthful?

2 minutes ago, Nosnehm said:

Wouldn't it be so much better if they could be open, informative and truthful?

Definitely. If they told me a new head unit was going to be fitted, I may have stuck with the car rather than rejecting it. Although, having said that, the kangerooing engine that the dealership said wasn't happening probably would still have made me give it back in the end.

I tried a 1.5 mk III dsg yesterday and the power of the engine was off the scale compared to my mk iV. It was smooth with no hesitation and fluttering. I was probably very unlucky with my particular car but the performance was night and day.

7 minutes ago, OctaviaFirstEdit said:

Definitely. If they told me a new head unit was going to be fitted, I may have stuck with the car rather than rejecting it. Although, having said that, the kangerooing engine that the dealership said wasn't happening probably would still have made me give it back in the end.

I tried a 1.5 mk III dsg yesterday and the power of the engine was off the scale compared to my mk iV. It was smooth with no hesitation and fluttering. I was probably very unlucky with my particular car but the performance was night and day.

The 1.5 engine in my mk4 is a breathless pile of poop....another reason for it to go.....

Well, I've been issued with a 21 plate Octavia estate while my car is kept under house arrest in the garage awaiting a fix. 

However, the courtesy car has popped up with an "oil sensor error - return to the workshop" error.

Maybe the Octavia mark 4 should just be avoided at all costs for the foreseeable?

• Sad 1
  • Groan 1

4 hours ago, neonplanet40 said:

However, the courtesy car has popped up with an "oil sensor error - return to the workshop" error.

That’s tragic.  I’ve a call tomorrow with my supplying dealer to discuss the financials of swapping the vehicle.  I was thinking of getting a octavia phev but that’s does sound now like a daft idea! ! 

I also had another phone call from Kate today, just to say no more updates and she will ring on Thursday.  

Gentleman,

A quick update  I have rejected my car however the dealer who sold me now wants to see the car to try and fix it, after a discussion with Kate Laws I have allowed the the garage to view the car I have stated I will not drive the car and if there wish to view it there must arrange to have picked up from the Skoda Garage that there said I was able to take it to originally  having spoke to Kate Laws today she has stated again that at this current time there do not have a fix for my problem. I am now awaiting a phone call because I now have to return my replacement car and pick up another one the garage I purchased the vehicle from.

regards Eric

56 minutes ago, Baldeagle58 said:

Gentleman,

A quick update  I have rejected my car however the dealer who sold me now wants to see the car to try and fix it, after a discussion with Kate Laws I have allowed the the garage to view the car I have stated I will not drive the car and if there wish to view it there must arrange to have picked up from the Skoda Garage that there said I was able to take it to originally  having spoke to Kate Laws today she has stated again that at this current time there do not have a fix for my problem. I am now awaiting a phone call because I now have to return my replacement car and pick up another one the garage I purchased the vehicle from.

regards Eric

Good luck with whatever you choose to drive next. I am surprised how long the fix has taken to be honest.

For those of you that are going through a rejection process or thinking about it.  I spoke to a consumer law solicitor today and they were very helpful in their advice.  Basically put, you have a right to full refund or replacement if you reject you car within the first 30 days.  That 30 day period is put on hold the moment you request the seller repair the issue until the repair is completed!  Which means that even if the seller takes weeks / months to try and repair or fix the issue, they cannot then ask for a depreciation markdown once the rejection takes place.  

Also, there is 2008 unfair trading regulations which apply to being sold goods misleadingly, if if they knew of the issue and did not tell you about it.  This act provides for more series penalties under the trade standards including a criminal offence.

If you are a member of Which they can provide you with a template letter for rejection and also provide legal clarity on your situation.

• Love it! 1

1 hour ago, Ajdude said:

For those of you that are going through a rejection process or thinking about it.  I spoke to a consumer law solicitor today and they were very helpful in their advice.  Basically put, you have a right to full refund or replacement if you reject you car within the first 30 days.  That 30 day period is put on hold the moment you request the seller repair the issue until the repair is completed!  Which means that even if the seller takes weeks / months to try and repair or fix the issue, they cannot then ask for a depreciation markdown once the rejection takes place.  

Also, there is 2008 unfair trading regulations which apply to being sold goods misleadingly, if if they knew of the issue and did not tell you about it.  This act provides for more series penalties under the trade standards including a criminal offence.

If you are a member of Which they can provide you with a template letter for rejection and also provide legal clarity on your situation.

This is interesting. I rejected mine and took advice from both the motor ombudsman and citizens advice and both told me that I was only entitled to refund minus mileage after 30 days. If this is not the case, I feel sick as I have missed out on nearly £500 on the buy back on my car.

Just a quick update following my car having two updates 9 days ago (I have the SE 1st Edition with the smaller touchscreen).

All was fine until this morning, I stopped to refuel and when I got back into the car the touchscreen did not come on and I got the usual warnings plus a nice new colourful warning.

IMG_20210506_083212.jpg

Anybody else had any further communication from Skoda UK and Kate Law?  My conversation this morning was the same as previous.  No update, still waiting for factory to find a fix, software updates happening all the time.  Finally admitted that there may some vehicles sharing a common fault, but suggested it was still software related. 

I explained I was travelling end of this month so needed a car with a towbar, said that could be arranged, which then raised the alarms this could continue for another 4 weeks at least and well beyond that.  The response to that was..."I hope not".  Are Skoda simply expecting us to hang on indefinitely, placated by a hire car?  

I asked, given they've known about the issue since November, why they think it's a simple software fix and why haven't they already sorted it.  Given how long it's taking, surely they should just give all impacted owners a like for like replacement and they can fix these other cars at their leisure.   There was no response to this.  She said she would go higher up to try and get further answers.

13 minutes ago, Ajdude said:

Anybody else had any further communication from Skoda UK and Kate Law?  My conversation this morning was the same as previous.  No update, still waiting for factory to find a fix, software updates happening all the time.  Finally admitted that there may some vehicles sharing a common fault, but suggested it was still software related. 

I explained I was travelling end of this month so needed a car with a towbar, said that could be arranged, which then raised the alarms this could continue for another 4 weeks at least and well beyond that.  The response to that was..."I hope not".  Are Skoda simply expecting us to hang on indefinitely, placated by a hire car?  

I asked, given they've known about the issue since November, why they think it's a simple software fix and why haven't they already sorted it.  Given how long it's taking, surely they should just give all impacted owners a like for like replacement and they can fix these other cars at their leisure.   There was no response to this.  She said she would go higher up to try and get further answers.

If you have a FE they can't offer a like for like. I have been through this with them. The FE were specced up so no equivalent exists. Despite this they didn't offer the nearest spec. I wouldn't have a replacement anyway as they can't actually provide a mk IV without problems.

23 minutes ago, OctaviaFirstEdit said:

If you have a FE they can't offer a like for like. I have been through this with them. The FE were specced up so no equivalent exists. Despite this they didn't offer the nearest spec. I wouldn't have a replacement anyway as they can't actually provide a mk IV without problems.

You could still spec a new car with all the FE options, I don't believe any option on the FE is unique to FE and not offered anymore?

A replacement is supposedly in the works for me. Very mixed messages though, dealer claiming Skoda have asked them to formally request a replacement, Skoda saying it is nothing to do with them and everything to do with the dealer to sort out. This follows earlier in the week when (after me asking them to do this) nobody involved anywhere in the chain has been able to put in writing that they are acknowledging this as and accept responsibility for the reject.

Very interesting, and again thanks to all concerned for helping with my Ombudsman case when it begins.

I'm in the same boat of having an SE First Edition, so in theory at least they can't give me a factory-fresh vehicle. So perhaps 'they' (whoever that may be) are trying to source one from stock somewhere. If they find one with zero miles and unregistered and it 100% works then....just maybe I will accept it. How they prove that is beyond me though, given that faults seem to build up exponentially over time. I.E for the first month or so mine would just do the odd strange thing like black-screen, but gradually it got to the point where so many faults and errors occurred and with the amount of frequency, I had no choice but to start seeking assistance from service.

If they can't source an SE FE then I don't really see that as my problem to be honest. I won't accept a vehicle of a lower specification while paying the price for the FE spec, so it's their problem to give me an equal or higher spec vehicle and not charge me a penny more on either my monthly price or my final purchase option price if I choose to keep it. I dare say they should pay for any insurance premium increase for the duration I own the vehicle too. It isn't my fault any of this is happening to me after all.

And the whole thing is BS really. They could give us a replacement car at the drop of a hat, there will be suitable vehicles sitting around all over the place, it's just that they all know they won't be making any additional money from us by allocating one to us.

4 minutes ago, Gax said:

A replacement is supposedly in the works for me. Very mixed messages though, dealer claiming Skoda have asked them to formally request a replacement, Skoda saying it is nothing to do with them and everything to do with the dealer to sort out. This follows earlier in the week when (after me asking them to do this) nobody involved anywhere in the chain has been able to put in writing that they are acknowledging this as and accept responsibility for the reject.

Very interesting, and again thanks to all concerned for helping with my Ombudsman case when it begins.

I'm in the same boat of having an SE First Edition, so in theory at least they can't give me a factory-fresh vehicle. So perhaps 'they' (whoever that may be) are trying to source one from stock somewhere. If they find one with zero miles and unregistered and it 100% works then....just maybe I will accept it. How they prove that is beyond me though, given that faults seem to build up exponentially over time. I.E for the first month or so mine would just do the odd strange thing like black-screen, but gradually it got to the point where so many faults and errors occurred and with the amount of frequency, I had no choice but to start seeking assistance from service.

If they can't source an SE FE then I don't really see that as my problem to be honest. I won't accept a vehicle of a lower specification while paying the price for the FE spec, so it's their problem to give me an equal or higher spec vehicle and not charge me a penny more on either my monthly price or my final purchase option price if I choose to keep it. I dare say they should pay for any insurance premium increase for the duration I own the vehicle too. It isn't my fault any of this is happening to me after all.

And the whole thing is BS really. They could give us a replacement car at the drop of a hat, there will be suitable vehicles sitting around all over the place, it's just that they all know they won't be making any additional money from us by allocating one to us.

Agreed and again I have been through this. They never offered an SEL with the additions of the FE. Presumably because it would cost them more.

The argument between the dealership and Skoda UK is also familiar. The dealerships are obviously annoyed with Skoda as they are selling rubbish products and it is coming back on them. I think the dealership just wanted to wash their hands of me in the end.

I just couldn't bring myself to accept another mk iv. As far as I can see, there isn't one that works without fault.

Maybe I gave up too quickly but my motoring was being ruined by getting angry every time I got in the car. These things are not cheap! I really admire those of you that are forging on with this, but I feel far less stressed generally now I am out of it. I am following with keen interest as in the future I may revisit but for the meantime, I'm out.

4 minutes ago, OctaviaFirstEdit said:

Agreed and again I have been through this. They never offered an SEL with the additions of the FE. Presumably because it would cost them more.

The argument between the dealership and Skoda UK is also familiar. The dealerships are obviously annoyed with Skoda as they are selling rubbish products and it is coming back on them. I think the dealership just wanted to wash their hands of me in the end.

I just couldn't bring myself to accept another mk iv. As far as I can see, there isn't one that works without fault.

Maybe I gave up too quickly but my motoring was being ruined by getting angry every time I got in the car. These things are not cheap! I really admire those of you that are forging on with this, but I feel far less stressed generally now I am out of it. I am following with keen interest as in the future I may revisit but for the meantime, I'm out.

Yeah, I don't believe a word I am being told frankly. It's actually semi-amusing as I received a written statement from the dealership to me that Skoda had told the dealership to fill out the required paperwork in order to obtain a replacement, followed later by a written statement from Skoda to me stating that Skoda have no responsibility whatsoever for any of this and it is down to the dealer to manage the problem. Which doesn't explain why Skoda are fronting the approximate £680 per month  (according to the Europcar website) to hire a car for me. Why do that if it isn't their responsibility? Bizarre.

VW FS meanwhile have failed to send me even the most basic update in two weeks. All I have from them is an automated response that they have my complaint. What do we take from that? Probably that VW FS are working nonstop dealing with complaints across the entire range.

My dealership is the same as yours, they have expressed a few times to me that they are annoyed with Skoda, and I can appreciate that position of course. I can well imagine how you'd feel having to manage the bottom-line at a franchise that seemingly overnight now absolutely stinks, and there are forums like this where people are coming on asking 'Should I buy an Octavia' and there are countless of us lining up to say NO !!!

But, it isn't my problem. 

I don't expect mine to progress to the point of being given a replacement either if I am honest. I just think they're all going through the motions, playing the blame game, and just possibly waiting on VW FS becoming involved and making any kind of decision on behalf of the whole lot of them. I see a future much like yours, where my hire car will get extended at some point, then yep I will probably abruptly and out of the blue receive an email telling me they can't source a replacement and at this point we cut the finance deal and say our goodbyes.

6 minutes ago, Gax said:

Yeah, I don't believe a word I am being told frankly. It's actually semi-amusing as I received a written statement from the dealership to me that Skoda had told the dealership to fill out the required paperwork in order to obtain a replacement, followed later by a written statement from Skoda to me stating that Skoda have no responsibility whatsoever for any of this and it is down to the dealer to manage the problem. Which doesn't explain why Skoda are fronting the approximate £680 per month  (according to the Europcar website) to hire a car for me. Why do that if it isn't their responsibility? Bizarre.

VW FS meanwhile have failed to send me even the most basic update in two weeks. All I have from them is an automated response that they have my complaint. What do we take from that? Probably that VW FS are working nonstop dealing with complaints across the entire range.

My dealership is the same as yours, they have expressed a few times to me that they are annoyed with Skoda, and I can appreciate that position of course. I can well imagine how you'd feel having to manage the bottom-line at a franchise that seemingly overnight now absolutely stinks, and there are forums like this where people are coming on asking 'Should I buy an Octavia' and there are countless of us lining up to say NO !!!

But, it isn't my problem. 

I don't expect mine to progress to the point of being given a replacement either if I am honest. I just think they're all going through the motions, playing the blame game, and just possibly waiting on VW FS becoming involved and making any kind of decision on behalf of the whole lot of them. I see a future much like yours, where my hire car will get extended at some point, then yep I will probably abruptly and out of the blue receive an email telling me they can't source a replacement and at this point we cut the finance deal and say our goodbyes.

If I had to predict, that is how I see it playing out. I paid up front for mine so I didn't have the added complication of VW finance to throw into the mix. I sympathise with the dealerships but your contract IS with them and not Skoda so they do need to sort the problem. They sort it and then bill Skoda. I was tempted to just keep waiting, using the hire car at Skoda's expense, but I have two young kids and I didn't want any damage to come back on me. It was just too stressful waiting and hearing nothing and all the mixed messages. I heard almost nothing from the dealership until a final figure was mentioned and at that point the contact and speed of things went through the roof. Effectively, the dealership wanted their loan car back asap to loan to the customers and I was left high and dry with less than a few hours notice.

Whilst I wanted to hold on, I had lost all confidence in the car. I am on  Facebook group and asked if anyone there had a car that worked without fault. I had three positives. Since then I have had messages from two to say that they are now experiencing various problems, some serious. For the money spent, it just isn't good enough. I am not massively into cars but enjoy having a nice one, hence the FE. However, it has made me realise that having something reliable is more important than all the toys. Gone back to a Mk III facelift, which I pick up soon. That was a great car. Alright, it looks a little dated now, but they are a really good price, and, learning from this experience, they have had all the major issues ironed out (he says confidently!). I am hoping for some luck now with my car. I think everyone on hear could do with some luck at the moment as Skoda are not offering any compensation for all this inconvenience.

Just want to throw this into the mix. Last Friday i had a few errors after the cars 3 trips to fix various at the dealer. My car is a personal leased via VW finance. Where would i stand with a rejection at 14 weeks old?

I’m hanging on in there for the time being. My loan car (SE FE 1.0 e-Tec DSG Estate) is doing the biz for me though without the extra toys of my SEL FE; and so far no niggles with the loaner.

I’m not sure how long to wait though. For me, it feels premature to start rejection/return measures, yet the longer it goes on the more I doubt!

Last call I had from Skoda UK made mention of a potential six to eight weeks - so that’s three to five more in my case. Meanwhile I’m dealing with a bunch of non-car related issues so am staying chilled over this one!

7 minutes ago, Greezy56 said:

Just want to throw this into the mix. Last Friday i had a few errors after the cars 3 trips to fix various at the dealer. My car is a personal leased via VW finance. Where would i stand with a rejection at 14 weeks old?

After 30 days, you are entitled to a refund, minus use. I would consult Citizens Advice, they in term will quote the 2015 Consumers Act.

9 minutes ago, sneal said:

I’m hanging on in there for the time being. My loan car (SE FE 1.0 e-Tec DSG Estate) is doing the biz for me though without the extra toys of my SEL FE; and so far no niggles with the loaner.

I’m not sure how long to wait though. For me, it feels premature to start rejection/return measures, yet the longer it goes on the more I doubt!

Last call I had from Skoda UK made mention of a potential six to eight weeks - so that’s three to five more in my case. Meanwhile I’m dealing with a bunch of non-car related issues so am staying chilled over this one!

Good luck to you. I think we all have different things going on in our lives and a car sometimes isn't really too important. I really hope that they fix it soon. I lost my rag after waiting 3 weeks and then nothing and then being told it could be a few months. It should not be taking this long if it had all been tested properly in the first place. 

It must be costing Skoda a fortune!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, OctaviaFirstEdit said:

After 30 days, you are entitled to a refund, minus use. I would consult Citizens Advice, they in term will quote the 2015 Consumers Act.

That's correct, but it depends upon when you tell them of the fault.  If you tell them the fault before the 30 days are up, then the clock stops until the repair is completed.   The Which legal team explained that to me over a 1-2-1 call specifically on this issue and also sent me a template letter which also includes the 2008 about misleading/misrepresentation.  As a consumer organisation, I have faith in their viewpoint. 

My experience with my dealer is very different in that they are communicating with both myself and Skoda UK on a regular basis and have so far promised that they will do what they can to make sure I don't lose out.  This includes a complete refund or finding a suitable replacement, which I sadly have to accept will not be as well specced as the SEL FE and all the options that it had included (HUD, Virtual Pedal, Matrix Lights, Travel Assist, Spare Wheel, 18inch Alloys, special paint).   I paid just under 20,800 with 3,500 on the clock in Jan, when I try and spec an equivalent vehicle on a car discount website....it's close to 29,000...much more on the Skoda website.

I'm with @OctaviaFirstEdit, reliability is the key thing.  In the 850 miles I've done on the hire car, not single problem at all (it's a Ford Kuga 21 plate).  

Went to a car supermarket yesterday and sat in lots of different cars - from Kodiaq's to Volvo's and the Octavia is still the best for my needs.  So maybe a Mk3.5 is actually the right thing to do....perhaps a Scout!

Edited by Ajdude
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Greezy56 said:

My car is also a personal lease, I have contacted Skoda Finance (VWFS) and asked how they can assist with getting "their" faulty car that I am leasing fixed.

I have had one phone call so far to tell me they are contacting Skoda UK about my issues.

So update. As Skoda UK are taking forever and a day to solve this issue mph. The supplying dealer has taken matters into their own hands. They offered to buy back my July registered 1.5 SEL first edition estate for the price paid for it plus the cost of the aftermarket towbar (750 pounds).  

They have offered me a recently registered VRS TDI DSG in standard spec. (With less than 1000 miles) for a significant discount on a new model and to fit a Skoda towbar for cost.  

Fair play to them.  

I’m thinking it over as I never intended to buy a VRS and no matter what it’s an increase to what had originally paid. 

Any diesel VRS owners like to chip in on there ownership experience?