2021 Model L&K Superb IV Estate (UK)

Just picked up my IV L&K Estate last night and wanted to share a couple of observations!

In summary, the car is FAB and I'm absolutely delighted with it.

Car was ordered FEB 2020 but due to Covid delays, it moved into the 2021 production run. This meant that there have been some decent upgrades but also a few strange things have happened.

• The SKODA website claims that the L&K IV has the Canton 10 speaker system with dedicated subwoofer - I've previously had VW's with their Dynaudio system where the sub literally shakes the car. The Canton system in my car seems to be missing the sub altogether? There's something small under the passenger seat but this could be the amp? It sounds really weak and not very loud at all, even turned up to full? Not even sure where (if any) the "sub" has actually been housed within the car?
  • The LED detachable torch in the boot has gone! (replaced with plastic cover)
  • The levers to drop the back seats in the boot have also gone! (replaced with plastic cover)
  • The DVD, SD card unit in the glovebox has gone! (replaced with plastic cover)
  • The USB connection in the back centre column doesnt exist - Believe it or not, there's a fold out ashtray with a 12v dummy cigarette lighter there!!

• The new updated software on the Infotainment system seems clearer, faster and more responsive and the 3D maps with the permanent SIM connection seems good too. The connectivity is really good and works with CarPlay through WiFi as a wireless connection. Not sure about Laura the digital assistant so she got swutched off straight away!
  • New steering wheel looks and feels amazing.  Only two spoke now and new dials which feel really good to use. Heated also and it gets really hot. Very impressed!

Lots more testing to do but the ride to work today was extremely refined, comfortable and enjoyable!

1 hour ago, Richmix said:

Just picked up my IV L&K Estate last night and wanted to share a couple of observations!

In summary, the car is FAB and I'm absolutely delighted with it.

Car was ordered FEB 2020 but due to Covid delays, it moved into the 2021 production run. This meant that there have been some decent upgrades but also a few strange things have happened.

• The SKODA website claims that the L&K IV has the Canton 10 speaker system with dedicated subwoofer - I've previously had VW's with their Dynaudio system where the sub literally shakes the car. The Canton system in my car seems to be missing the sub altogether? There's something small under the passenger seat but this could be the amp? It sounds really weak and not very loud at all, even turned up to full? Not even sure where (if any) the "sub" has actually been housed within the car?
  • The LED detachable torch in the boot has gone! (replaced with plastic cover)
  • The levers to drop the back seats in the boot have also gone! (replaced with plastic cover)
  • The DVD, SD card unit in the glovebox has gone! (replaced with plastic cover)
  • The USB connection in the back centre column doesnt exist - Believe it or not, there's a fold out ashtray with a 12v dummy cigarette lighter there!!

• The new updated software on the Infotainment system seems clearer, faster and more responsive and the 3D maps with the permanent SIM connection seems good too. The connectivity is really good and works with CarPlay through WiFi as a wireless connection. Not sure about Laura the digital assistant so she got swutched off straight away!
  • New steering wheel looks and feels amazing.  Only two spoke now and new dials which feel really good to use. Heated also and it gets really hot. Very impressed!

Lots more testing to do but the ride to work today was extremely refined, comfortable and enjoyable!

SNAP....

Picked up my L and K iV estate yesterday and was coming to the same conclusions. I also just moved from a Pasatt with Dynaudio. It was OK but nothing special IMO.

I also went a lookin' for the sub woofer and couldn't fnd it even though there is a sub-woofer slider shown in the equalizer on the Columbus. Moving it fully left and right has no effect on the sound. So guess it isn't fitted!!

Needs a thorough test before I can say if it sounds any good.

About to spend time trying to get Android auto working with my Motorola G5. (wirelessly I hope)

3 minutes ago, Richmix said:

At least it's not just me then!

I've e mailed Canton and asked the question - will let you know what they say!

Their reply should be interesting. So basically they have stuck Canton stickers on the doors for MY21.

Was out in it last night and the adaptive lights are brill.

Also the predictive cruise control. Having said that a trip out this morning and its seems now not to be working. Not sure why at the moment. Guess I've disabled it somehow.

Removing the little torch certainly wasn't a simply clever thing to do. I'm just off now to count how many umbrellas I can find.:biggrin:

1 hour ago, stephenlumley said:

Their reply should be interesting. So basically they have stuck Canton stickers on the doors for MY21.

Was out in it last night and the adaptive lights are brill.

Also the predictive cruise control. Having said that a trip out this morning and its seems now not to be working. Not sure why at the moment. Guess I've disabled it somehow.

Removing the little torch certainly wasn't a simply clever thing to do. I'm just off now to count how many umbrellas I can find.:biggrin:

OK, made it a bit better - go to Sound, then volume and there's a toggle for "Bluetooth Media Volume" change to loud and it's much better! Still no punchy bas though but loads better! Also sounds better on Pro Logic II surround!

I have just ordered my Superb Estate L&K IV, I’m assuming it will be the 21 version also, when it arrives.

It’s my company car, I travel for work so the car is my office I can do up to 200 miles round trip per day sometimes more sometimes less.

Couple of questions if you can answer them

for me please;

How often are you charging the battery?

Does it run ok in just petrol mode?

Hello I’m sure you love the car it’s fantastic.

After about four days of testing I’m doing about 30 miles on pure electric mode before it needs charging however if you use hybrid mode you can adjust the amount of battery or petrol combination and in combined mode you can go a lot further on one charge and on fuel

The car won’t run on pure petrol alone it will always keep some battery aside to give you the best for your economy

200 miles a day it’s quite a bit so I’m not sure how it will perform on those distances to be honest

Thanks for the reply, I was going to

get the diesel version but the car tax is huge with the iv it’s about 1/3 the cost so

that was a big factor.

My only concern was having to charge at home every night, but with the miles I do I probably will have too. 

Bit of a bummer they have removed some

small things like the torch and seat releases and the subwoofer. At the end of the day it’s my company car and the L&K was best value as it includes everything I need.

Hi girvatron

Totally understand on the tax. That's why I changed and I'm sure the cost of running will still be cheaper for you

I've always had diesels but the cost to run them was just spiraling out of control and city centres will soon be a no go.

I filled up for the first last Friday and according to my app I have done 178 miles at 157mpg. The fuel tank is still showing as full which is incredible but that's because I'm travelling to work from home which is a 20 mile trip and my journey is total e mode. I have heated steering, seat and the lights on and when I get here i've still got about 40% or 11 miles left. I charge at work in the afternoon and then travel home. On an evening I have been out and of course tried Sports mode a few times so I have definitely used petrol with the battery

This is excatly what I wanted to do. Reduce my monthly PAYE tax and my diesel cost. My travel to and from work is battery powered now and using the app (EV Energy) with my Rolec home charger, the car charges overnight between midnight and 7am at a reduced cost. A full charge last night cost 35p!

Charging when you get home isnt a problem with a dedicated wall charger. It's a pain in the backside with the 3 pin plug cable (for me personally) as I had to put the cable through windows and leave doors open but with the dedicated point in front of the garage, I pull up, put the cable in and schedule the charge for overnight. This morning I got up and when I got in the car, the heating was on and I was charged and ready to go! I used the Rolec 7kw charger which cost £595. No matter which point you use, filling in the forms, upgradimng your home supply etc was a complete pain and not straight forward. If you need any advice on this, let me know.

This is where I got mine

rolecserv.com/ev-charging/product/EV-Charging-Points-For-The-Home

The car itself is mega smooth and really comfortable and so quiet. It's very refined and I'm sure you wil love it.

Still got niggles with the things I mentionned earlier but those are massively outweighed by the rest of the car.

• Like 1

Hi all,

as mine is the MY20 some of what you are missing I have. One thing I did find the other day as I always give the gear stick a tap back to enable the regen brake mode I still did it by default the other day even though I had put it in sport mode as the battery had all been used, the car then proceeded to recharge the battery every time I was not using all the engine power, battery had charged back to 50% after about 30 miles. I am sure that this was using some extra fuel but was quite good.

John

So when you ran out of battery, the car then recharged it while driving? That’s great. One thing I was torn by is that I do long journeys for work most days and would have to charge from 0 battery to full every night. If anybody has done a long round trip journey, 100miles + I would like to hear how it went and what kind of battery life you had left.

I think there are different options for the battery. You can either just let it do what it wants (it will use the battery but also recharge with regen etc). There should be battery hold modes and battery charge modes where it will not use the battery if you want to save it for a certain part of your journey (city driving or crawling motorway traffic for example).

As for home charging, this is where the UK is really behind most other parts of Europe. Here in Germany almost all residential properties had 3 phase already and have done for donkeys years. This is due to the fact that electric is favoured for ovens and hobs etc where 3 phase is used. Also quite common to have electric instant water heaters that run on 3 phase rather than using a costly gas boiler.

So electric chargers are much simpler to install since 3 phase is already available.

On 11/09/2020 at 15:05, ChrisCh said:

The subwoofer has been removed for the IV version (as they need the space for the battery) I believe.

Why?

I have an L & K 2017 with standard Canton and sub.

The sub is in the boot in the left side pocket if you want to call it that.

Passenger seat is the amp as someone has said.I

Not sure why the IV would have no sub, can't imagine it's to do with the battery. 

26 minutes ago, RGKTSi said:

Why?

I have an L & K 2017 with standard Canton and sub.

The sub is in the boot in the left side pocket if you want to call it that.

Passenger seat is the amp as someone has said.I

Not sure why the IV would have no sub, can't imagine it's to do with the battery. 

Its because in the left side pocket in the boot is the regular car12V battery as there is no room for it under the bonnet in the iV...

1 hour ago, stephenlumley said:

Its because in the left side pocket in the boot is the regular car12V battery as there is no room for it under the bonnet in the iV...

Gotcha. Thanks

Not sure why they didn't put the sub in the right side boot pocket and move the tyre pump to the area under the boot floor where the charging cables go. Plenty of room in there. I think just a way to save money like they have with other missing bits.

Found it!!

Was out with family at weekend and the kids said the back seats were vibrating!

Back seat, nearside. Dropped the seats down and lifted the mat/boot cover and sure enough, there is a sub! (albeit not very good and rather small!)

About 6" driver but contained in a black box running width ways about 7" wide, 20" long

So it does have a sub, just a teeny weeny one which doesnt give any umph!

Hello,

I ordered my Superb L&K iV back in july (2021 run) and I had the opportunity to try a 2020 one.

It's disappointing to learn that some (clever) features are gone missing ! 

I will be really ****ed at my dealership for not warning me about it.

Surely I will let you know when I pick up mine in a few months.

And thank you Richmix for finding the subwoofer !

Are you still happy with the sound quality overall ? I was really expecting premium sound.

Hi iV_grey

To be fair, I dont think the dealers know much about these things.  When I realised mine was moving into a 2021 model, I went back onto the SKODA web site and configured my car again, that's when I noticed the addition of the subwoofer (albeit not a very good one!)

I emailed SKODA UK who confimred the new additions (like steering wheel, infotainment software, sub woofer etc) but the dealers know very little. Infact, when I collected mine, I semed to know more about the changes/additions than the sales person!

As far as the sound goes, I love really punchy, seat shaking bass at every volume level with the option to turn it up or down. At the moment I am on full bass with an overall disappointing bottom end at all voluem levels!

My previous car was a Golf GTD Estate and it had the Dynaudio system which was FAB. Prior to that, many years ago I had an Audi A4 with a B&O system. Both of these had vey good subs with the golf sub actually filling the entire inside the spare wheel in the boot so that wa a good 17" in diametaer.

The Canton system interface looks good and has decent adjustments but massively lacks low end punch, especially at low volume.

I've tweaked just about every setting and although the Dolby Surround Pro Logic sounds very spacial and dimensional, it seems overly processed to me. Again, depending on the music you listen to massively differs (I have a very eclectic taste and listen to absolutely all kinds) . Some songs sound ok, others sound over processed and others just sound too flat or tinny, all of them sound very clear and crisp though. (I'm using Spotify for music)

The setting I'm on at the moment is on the non surround, "driver focussed" setting. I have the sub and bass on full and mid bass on about 8. 

Maybe I've just been spoilt over the years and got used to seat shaking low end bass at all volume levels? The clarity is very good with the Canton and it is a very good system and maybe after time I will  re adjust ;)

I do love the car and also the fact my tax code has changed too! On another very positive note, I filled the car up with petrol on Friday 11th September and today (22nd) it has only dropped by one notch on the dash! According to the SKODA Connect app, I have done 410 miles, averaged 113mpg.  A full charge overnight using off peak electricity is about 0.40p-0.70p

I'm sure you will love yours when you get it!

R