Ideas what to do, stick or switch

Aspman

10 hours ago, skomaz said:

Mitsubishi Shogun???   Got a mate with a LWB one that he wheels out over winter instead of his 5 series touring and he swears by it.  Solid mechanics and old school.  Plus they'll be dirt cheap shortly when Mitsubishi pull out of the UK market.

An alternative to the Shogun is the eclipse cross, which has a bit more style and can also be had in 4 wheel drive

Actually yes, I started looking the other day and the Shogun is much cheaper than the equivalent LC.

I tried to get a test drive of a LC. Phoned three garage, two didn't have one, one might have but never called back. Potential £50k sale, can't be arsed to call back during a recession.

I'm gpoing to try to get a drive in a Wrangler as well. It'll be terrible on road but at least it's interesting.

Lady E, you're right of course but it won't fit in the garage. I also found this...

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1153399

spacer.png

• Like 2

Ooh that looks fun. You will need to instal a hydraulic spinning around thing underneath it thought as I image the turning circle should probably be called a 'turning orbit'. I remember driving the works series 2 lwb Landie many years ago and two things stuck out. One, I kept smashing my knuckles against the centre console (does a proper Land Rover even have a centre console) and the turning circle was quite embarrassing :D Bet the extra axel won't help that series 3 

I like the way it has 2 spare wheels :D 

A couple of years ago we had a holiday in Canada. Our hire car was meant to be a Rav4 but we were upgraded to a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (5 door). It looked the part and would go anywhere you pointed it. We took it up a steep forest track which was partially covered it mud and slush and in normal 4 wheel drive it was as planted as driving on the road. I did not push the on road handling too much as it was fitted with chunky off road tyres but the ride was good and we had no aches and pains even after a full days driving.

I would add that we thought that it was a big vehicle until we parked it between 2 Ford pickups when it seemed very small.Canada_2018_06_16_12h_01m_14s_1.thumb.JPG.6fd18b159a931d09d22faad0f5fc3caa.JPG

Edited by Liger1956
  • Like 2

So I phoned up the local Jeep dealer this morning (not AC) and had a chat.

Said I was interested in a test drive of one of their nearly new cars, and also asked about an extended test drive.

He took my number, I checked it was right with him, he said he'd ask the manager about the extended test drive and get back to me.

And...

Nowt. Again inquiring about a +£40k car and can't make the effort to phone or record an enquery properly even to say, " 'no' you can't get it for the weekend would you still like a short test drive".

I can only assume the motor trade is having a storming year since no bugger seems interested in my money.

• Sad 2

Make sure you play with all the controls as some e.g. the four wheel drive lever, may still be on the left hand side of the centre console and difficult to reach as it was designed as a left hand drive car (although you are probably aware of that anyway).

• Thanks 1

I had a LWB 3.2DID shogun. One of the best 4x4 vehicles I've had in any condition you could throw at it. Everything fitted in it, and it was comfortable on longer runs as well. You'll pick up a 2007 onwards facelift for very reasonable money. Most of them had a recall for timing chain tensioner failure, so make sure its been done if you look at one. 

I'd do that and keep the beemer, before i dropped good money on a Jeep that'll haemorrhage money in the 12 months after purchase.

In saying that, if you like the Jeep, try the last of the old shape GLE Mercedes, as up to recently, thats what the jeep Cherokee was.

I'll put a John Deere cap on, vest, chew gum and ask where the gun rack goes. 

I suspect it'll be marmite, I'll either love the car or hate it in 2 min. Or I'll realise quickly its foibles will make it too much of a pita. 

Tbh Shogun probably next on the list to try. Plenty around unlike the LC. 

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

I know now where a good few 20 & 70 plate Land Cruisers went off to, i saw them yesterday.

They are parked up on carparks or other sites with public access beside long caravans with no toilets. Ones with artificial grass outside, lovely polished water containers and a few quads lined up outside.

(There are little old caravans are parked beside as the 'Outdoor toilet.)

So we drove the Wrangler. We loved it. It's quirky, mental and full of character. 

So I'm I buying one... Nope. Loved it, it was an absolute hoot but I couldn't live with it everyday. Too many compromises. Plus it's a car with a list price of 55k but you can see squidges of glue all around the roof. I thought someone had left gum in the joins to start with. It would also need steps added (it's way tall) and the roof insulated. 

So onwards, also going to check out the Subaru Outback which is a bit plodding but good off road, good on road and 20k cheaper. So change for a Caterham 7.

9 hours ago, skomaz said:

If your looking at an outback it begs the question what about an Octy Scout or 4x4

Mud. If it was just ground clearance they're are innumerable cars would do but I've been warned and warned about needing something that can handle mud which usually means locking diffs not just a fancy abs setup. The permanent 4x4 on the subaru makes them a lot more capable than most which is why they are so beloved by farmers. 

Saying all that i did do a search for a scout and they are rarer than ever. I think autotrader had one (looking nearly new). 

An octy 4x4 wouldn't have the ride height. 

3 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Mud. If it was just ground clearance they're are innumerable cars would do but I've been warned and warned about needing something that can handle mud which usually means locking diffs not just a fancy abs setup. The permanent 4x4 on the subaru makes them a lot more capable than most which is why they are so beloved by farmers. 

Saying all that i did do a search for a scout and they are rarer than ever. I think autotrader had one (looking nearly new). 

An octy 4x4 wouldn't have the ride height. 

Sounds reasonable and understandable re the mud.  Was more thinking an older 4x4 with the raised suspension that's only 17mm lower than the scout but the mud thing would still rule it out.

1 minute ago, skomaz said:

Sounds reasonable and understandable re the mud.  Was more thinking an older 4x4 with the raised suspension that's only 17mm lower than the scout but the mud thing would still rule it out.

Most 4x4s you can buy now are totally unsuitable for doing any 4x4 work. 

I supposed a scout would do 90% of it though but they are so rare. I suspect an outback would be cheaper as well remembering how well Scouts always held their money. 

It's a WOODY Unimog! Go for it now, that is an order (if I could order you about that is) 

I've just read that is has the optional extra of a Soundproofing kit on it's cabin....it hasn't even really got a cabin :D 

Edited by Lady Elanore

On 25/09/2020 at 21:17, Aspman said:

So we drove the Wrangler. We loved it. It's quirky, mental and full of character. 

So I'm I buying one... Nope. Loved it, it was an absolute hoot but I couldn't live with it everyday. Too many compromises. Plus it's a car with a list price of 55k but you can see squidges of glue all around the roof. I thought someone had left gum in the joins to start with. It would also need steps added (it's way tall) and the roof insulated. 

So onwards, also going to check out the Subaru Outback which is a bit plodding but good off road, good on road and 20k cheaper. So change for a Caterham 7.

I'm looking for something similar too.  A nearly new 4X4 that's more robust than the Yeti. I'm ruling out all the new Kias, Hyundais, Toyotas (can't afford a nearly new LC) etc. so in my price bracket it's either a nearly new Shogun Sport (4) or an Outback.  I need something that can reliably travel across a few fields and manage moorland, plus tow a horse box, and isn't too uncouth to use on the roads without breaking the bank in running costs.  It needs a decent ground clearance and I also need a 4x4 (L4) system that I can use on the road (rules out many pickups) and not just on rough surfaces, so the SuperSelect II Mitsubishi system seems ideal.

Weirdly, the recent Mitsi UK / Europe news coincided with me checking out a Shogun Sport (Commercial) at a local dealer and as a result has rather stalled my thinking at the moment on the SS. Yes, the price is great (they've even knocked £7,500 off the cash and PCP price  in the last few weeks) and as it's basically a L200 parts should be readily available for years, and reliable. They can also be serviced at any garage as basically they seem to be rather 'old school' diesels.  Possible warranty and recall issues have made me wonder though, and if the Colt Car Company goes tits-up, that could create some large ownership headaches.  Obviously, resale value would be pants, although I'd be looking to keep mine.

I've also kept an eye on Subarus for several years, but have always defaulted to a Yeti and borrowed a friends Sorento (older model) when needed.  I have also been a bit put off by the reported boxer oil issues and the servicing difficulties, meaning my local, well trusted, independent Skoda mechanic has advised against a Subaru - they service a range of makes.  Still there's a decent warranty and the Outback is a lotta car for the money (there's a new Outback coming so the present model may even get a bit cheaper).

I'd be interested to know how you get on if you go for a SS or Outback.

Edited by Ooopnorth

Apparently the Kia Sportage 4x4 does have a locking centre differential and can do 4WD not just AWD

https://www.friendlykia.com/blog/does-the-kia-sportage-have-all-wheel-drive-or-four-wheel-drive/

I think Japanese cars are a bit different in general and Scoobies even more so. Most indy garages are happy to look at other nations models but not the Japanese.

My make takes his to a Subaru independent

Certainly my mate's Outback does everything you talk about (he doesn't tow though) he spends a bit maintaining it but it does have about 140k on the clock.

5yr warrany on Subaru. (and Jeep tbh). That tells a story, 5yr warranty on a Fiat company but only 3 on Landrover

Getting the time to test drive anything it a real PITA right now. You'd think working from time you'd have all the time in the world but it's the opposite.

1 hour ago, Aspman said:

You'd think working from time you'd have all the time in the world but it's the opposite

its been discussed a few times how people are worki g harder working from home and productivity is up massively compared to most office environments. 

plus...  you have a poppet! new babies are able to bend the fabric of space-time, so tou think you been doing something 5mins but its been an hour...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aspman said:

Apparently the Kia Sportage 4x4 does have a locking centre differential and can do 4WD not just AWD

https://www.friendlykia.com/blog/does-the-kia-sportage-have-all-wheel-drive-or-four-wheel-drive/

My Hyundai Kona has an electronic locking centre diff equivalent. It's essentially the same as the Sportage one. You can see the clutches locking up as you pull away, as the shuffling of torque is proportionally moved to the rear axel. In normal driving it shows the most rear shuffle in first, then slightly less in second and third, but only fwd after that. The 'Lock' button shows 50/50 split. The only thing is of course ground clearance, it’s barely any better than a regular car 

• Thanks 1