Citigo Tyre Time

GreyBear

Hey guys,

I need to purchase four new tyres for my six year old Black Edition Citigo. My Citigo originally came with Conitinental tyres and am now looking at purchasing four Continental Premium Contact 2 tyres (185/55 R15 82T). What did your Citigo come with? What would you recommend now?

My 2019 came with OEM-fit Goodyear Eco Somethings; 185/50/16. They seem perfectly good - grip, turn in, aquaplane resistance, emergency braking in the wet all seem perfectly fine. I run comfort pressure settings as the 50-ratio is arguably a bit stiff on ride. I have tried loads of brands and types in the last 45 years on many, many cars, but while stuff changes all the time,  it's all swings and roundabouts and endless consumer marketing.....  The thing is, when you replace old, worn-out tyres with new ones, they always feel amazing, no matter what they are.

These days, I tend to just look at the wet grip rating and the price, as I'm no longer driving on the limit of lateral adhesion or doing 4-wheel drifts so much. Unlike quite a few people entering supermarket car parks at peak times, or on narrow roads where they can't see a thing ahead.... :)

Just look for a good deal unless you are being bankrolled by Mercedes F1....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreyBear said:

I need to purchase four new tyres for my six year old Black Edition Citigo. My Citigo originally came with Conitinental tyres and am now looking at purchasing four Continental PremiumContact 2 tyres (185/55 R15 82T). What did your Citigo come with? What would you recommend now?

Continental PremiumContact 2 tyres are a summer tyre and have poor performance in the snow and ice. If you use them all year round, it might be better using winter tyres such as Continental TS860.

Although the TS860 are winter tyres, they have been show in a tyre test to actually be a better all-season tyre than Continental's all-season tyre.

Continental TS860 175/65R14 82T

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/tyres/continental-4019238741513-0353991

Continental TS860 185/55R15 82T

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/tyres/continental-4019238792812-0355124

As you can see from the above two links, the 175/65R14 82T is a much cheaper size than the 185/55R15 82T size. 175/65R14 is also a more comfortable size and has less drag, so more mpg.

Alcar 6795 5Jx14 ET35 4/100 57.1 Steel Rims

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/spares-search?keyword=6795&brandNo[0]=100470

175/65R14 fitted to 5Jx14 4/100 rims were one of the  standard options on the Citigo, so no problems with insurance.

Fitting new rims means that you won't have problems with slow air leaks. When rims get old, you can get corrosion on the bead seat, resulting in a slow air leak. This probably happens even more with alloy rims than steel rims. If you use a garage airline that has water in the air, you get water inside your tyre. This could be one of the reasons that corrosion builds up on the rim where the tyre bead sits.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

I use the Conti Premium tyres. I also have a set of Dunlop winter on steel rims to change for cold weather. I purchased them from MyTyres online and delivered. Formula One Autocentre will price match for competitive prices.

24 minutes ago, nbJubilee said:

I use the Conti Premium tyres. I also have a set of Dunlop winter on steel rims to change for cold weather. I purchased them from MyTyres online and delivered. Formula One Autocentre will price match for competitive prices.

Hey, nbJubilee.

Can I ask which Conti Premium you use? At this stage I'm looking at Continental Premium Contact 2 or Conti Eco Contact 6. I must admit I do have a tendancy to leave tyres on all year round... so may opt for All Season Contact (below).

https://www.national.co.uk/tyres/brand/continental/allseasoncontact/

11 hours ago, Carlston said:

Continental PremiumContact 2 tyres are a summer tyre and have poor performance in the snow and ice. If you use them all year round, it might be better using winter tyres such as Continental TS860.

Although the TS860 are winter tyres, they have been show in a tyre test to actually be a better all-season tyre than Continental's all-season tyre.

Continental TS860 175/65R14 82T

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/tyres/continental-4019238741513-0353991

As you can see from the above two links, the 175/65R14 82T is a much cheaper size than the 185/55R15 82T size. 175/65R14 is also a more comfortable size and has less drag, so more mpg.

Alcar 6795 5Jx14 ET35 4/100 57.1 Steel Rims

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/spares-search?keyword=6795&brandNo[0]=100470

175/65R14 fitted to 5Jx14 4/100 rims were one of the  standard options on the Citigo, so no problems with insurance.

Fitting new rims means that you won't have problems with slow air leaks. When rims get old, you can get corrosion on the bead seat, resulting in a slow air leak. This probably happens even more with alloy rims than steel rims. If you use a garage airline that has water in the air, you get water inside your tyre. This could be one of the reasons that corrosion builds up on the rim where the tyre bead sits.

Hey, Carlston,

Regarding the following tyre you mentioned:

I was looking on the National Tyres site but couldn't see this model. I found the following though... the tread looks the same. Do you know if these are the same tyre?

tyres.thumb.png.7cab8820c69f941b33c2d5773d6c6a7f.png

I recently fitted these to my Citigo and and I'd happily recommend them.  Great reviews, great ratings, and one of the least noisey I could find

Edited by maxychat

5 hours ago, GreyBear said:

Hey, Carlston,

Regarding the following tyre you mentioned:

I was looking on the National Tyres site but couldn't see this model. I found the following though... the tread looks the same. Do you know if these are the same tyre?

This link on national tyres is the Continental AllSeasonContact in size 185/55R15 86H. It's a good all-season tyre. Not the same as the TS860 which Continental classify as a winter tyre. Both tyres do well in tyre reviews. 

https://www.national.co.uk/tyres-search?width=185&profile=55&diameter=15&rating=H~&loadindex=&pattern=allseasoncontact

However, Vredestein has just brought out a new all-season tyre called Quatrac. It replaces the Quatrac 5. Some sizes are being released now, other sizes won't be available until 2021. It came 2nd out of 32 all-season tyres in this month's autobild all-season tyre review. Goodyear G3 came in 1st place.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/tyres/vredestein-8714692358241-ap18555015hqt6a00

autobild September 2020 all-season tyre review

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2020-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Carlston said:

This link on national tyres is the Continental AllSeasonContact in size 185/55R15 86H. It's a good all-season tyre. Not the same as the TS860 which Continental classify as a winter tyre. Both tyres do well in tyre reviews. 

https://www.national.co.uk/tyres-search?width=185&profile=55&diameter=15&rating=H~&loadindex=&pattern=allseasoncontact

However, Vredestein has just brought out a new all-season tyre called Quatrac. It replaces the Quatrac 5. Some sizes are being released now, other sizes won't be available until 2021. It came 2nd out of 32 all-season tyres in this month's autobild all-season tyre review. Goodyear G3 came in 1st place.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/tyres/vredestein-8714692358241-ap18555015hqt6a00

autobild September 2020 all-season tyre review

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2020-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

Cheers, fella. Top information.

I've used Michelin cross climates on several cars and can highly recommend them (both in summer and winter). They proved so good I sold my winter tyres / steel rims!!

Will look to fit these to my Mii with the continentals wear out.

Mine are 185/55/15.

The cross-climates are definitely good in ice/snow, nowhere near as good as proper winter tyres though.  I didn't have them long enough on a previous car to know what the durability was like though (especially in warm weather). TBH, unless you live somewhere with ice and snow that sets in for a long period,  'real' winter tyres will be scrap in a few thousand miles if you go over say, 40 on dry tarmac.... For occasional snow, it may be better use belts or chains of a type that are easy to get on & off...

10 hours ago, freemansteve said:

The cross-climates are definitely good in ice/snow, nowhere near as good as proper winter tyres though.  I didn't have them long enough on a previous car to know what the durability was like though (especially in warm weather). TBH, unless you live somewhere with ice and snow that sets in for a long period,  'real' winter tyres will be scrap in a few thousand miles if you go over say, 40 on dry tarmac.... For occasional snow, it may be better use belts or chains of a type that are easy to get on & off...

Sorry I don't agree re winter tyres. That might have been true years ago with earlier ubersoft winter compounds but modern winter tyres are much better. Because of lockdown and not driving abroad etc, I couldn't be bothered swapping my winter TS850's off my Superb, Infact I've ended up doing about  another 10,000 miles on them (inc motorways etc), some of it in hot weather. The tread still looks deep all round - I've done about 27k miles thus far on the TS850's.

However my "summer" tyres are now Michelin Cross climates and I think they are great. Good in all conditions , especially when very wet (a feature of my commute!) and amazingly quiet. When my winter tyres wear out I'll probably just use Crossclimates going forward - the problem is the fabulous TS850's seem to be lasting many years! 

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Well, maybe that's right, but it also occurred to me that winter tyres are different for different countries and local conditions.

The ones I had in Connecticut were super soft and almost as grippy as poor summer tyres in the wet, but maybe for UK, where there are far fewer snow/icy days the compounds used are more durable.  Actually, the winter tyres on one of our cars in CT  (a front drive) worked better than all-season tyres on our 4WD cars - certainly far better for braking and not sliding sideways, as you'd expect, but the 4WD had far better straight-line acceleration on ice!

I'd say for the UK, the Cross-climates are a great compromise. No need for them (or belts/chains) down here in Cornwall though, but it can get grim up north, so for some, they'd do the job well.  Still, no real need to have 4WD in most of the UK....

Many 4x4 / AWD in the UK are on Summer Tyres and pretty hopeless in Cold / Wet / Snowy or Icy UK conditions and with not much clearance anyway if roads are not ploughed.

Actually a liability when they lose traction due to the weight of them.

The Original Mini's did well in the likes of Winter Rallying, and a Citigo or other small hatch can be equal to them on winter roads with snow on them..

I used Avon Ice touring tyres on my Automatic Picanto for 6 years and ran them all year.

The car went places & came home again to places that AWD's were not managing to get too or get home from.

&

did autotests with them on during the year.

298860990_19.1.13thaw033.JPG.7513e22dc353100159727f1660de3274.jpeg

post-86161-0-11931100-1439451810.jpg.e750de67e4ed8655ee7a0ec7a2b04f76.jpg

1751573245_clovasnowjimnyjan10043.JPG.adb493320b1a0ace6971fd4eb3b95e6d.jpeg

Edited by e-Roottoot

On 28/09/2020 at 21:35, freemansteve said:

My 2019 came with OEM-fit Goodyear Eco Somethings;

My Bad. They are actually Continental Eco-Contact 5's. Not relevant to the debate, and something was pricking my OCD, but they are fine tyres for now.

Nevertheless, it is hilarious to see tyre reviews (of many tyres) where they offer completely opposite opinions on the tyres.  Just shows that most 'data' on the web is fake (no repeatable science involved), and 'opinions' are easily bought! Although I'm not knocking anyone's personal tyre experience.

It is likely that a specific tyre type, in a given size, will perform differently on different cars, owing to weight, body roll and general suspension setup differences, not to mention that the same tyre in differing profiles and sizes may also give quite different results on the same car!

At least with tyres, there is not much scope for the entirely invented hyperbole you see in say, HiFi "tests" :)  Arrgh, not wishing to start on that one....

Edited by freemansteve

On 04/10/2020 at 10:18, e-Roottoot said:

@maxychat   Why would that be as the UK is  big place with many different conditions and a Citigo can cope very well with All Season / All Weather / Winter or Snow tyres as not everyone can use public transport or just stay in if there are adverse conditions.

If you live somewhere prone to snow storms every winter and as such require winter tyres to be fitted annually then the CItigo is a poor choice of car.  As much as I do love mine It's Skoda's least capable car in terms of safety features and in the case of a rear ending it offers the least protection, which would worry me.  

If you're fitting winter tyres on the chance there may be a bad snow storm in more a milder climate [say roughly the midlands and below] then the same could be said for any car, and that's another argument, that's more of a risk averse approach etc.  For sure as you have said all season tyres would be good if that's your thinking.  

Edited by maxychat
  • Groan 1

Capability & safety features are different things.

If you need a push if you are stuck then the Citigo is the best one to be in (Red or Lime Green, maybe yellow not a white one)

and as far as the FWD Skodas the Citigo is as capable as a Fabia, Roomster, Octavia, Yeti, Karoq, Scala, Kamiq, Kodiaq or Superb on winter roads, likely as good as a RWD Enyaq will be. 

Easier to stay warmer in as well if you are stuck behind snow gates for hours with just a tank of fuel or less.

PS

I think the Briskoda founder @ColinD  used his Citigo for trips to Scotland even in the months of winter.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Groan 1

15 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

as far as the FWD Skodas the Citigo is as capable as a Fabia, Roomster, Octavia, Yeti, Karoq, Scala, Kamiq, Kodiaq or Superb on winter roads, likely as good as a RWD Enyaq will be. 

That's certainly quite a strong opinion, I cant say that I agree but I wouldn't be able to change your mind if I tried I'm sure :happy: 

But I'll feel more confident driving it this winter!  :biggrin:

Edited by maxychat

14 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@maxychat

You should maybe do some driving in the Scottish winters in various Skoda and then give an informed opinion.

I'll work on that so I'm more more informed in the future.  Apologies  :biggrin:.   We need a race to the North Pole in every type of Skoda, all unmodified, to determine the best [Top Gear style] :D...  I think I would actually watch that!

Edited by maxychat
  • Sad 1

You just need to start with doing some driving on UK roads out and about in winter i would say.

If the roads were open in the hills then my iQ went the same places as my Jimny could and in the event of a crash was likely safer with all the air bags.

It handled snowy & icy roads very well.

The difference was the Jimny could go on roads that were closed.

297104999_SN850137(800x600)(2).jpg.e5479ea4cde76778d6c95bb882aa16e7 (1).jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Yep used the citigo in full winters, not studs. Around the peak and trips up to Scotland in winter. 

i think  I felt safer in it than previous octavias.

certainly in a recent rain storm it would of handles rain better than the big superb on its wide tyres.

something about skinny winter tyres just works.

They sort of stayed in the car, through summer. Made some corners fun, but those really rainy storm days, I felt very happy hitting water.

winter pros cons

however, the Citigo lights were poor For hazard spotting afar, so updated bulbs. And rear drums had a sticky tendency, maybe from salt & heat, who knows, so frequently parked without handbrake on the gearbox in winter.

another plus is it’s small, so it heats up quickly, and it’s a small area to defrost, so your fingers will love you.

Any car, almost any driver , I’d bet would be in a pickle when you hit ice or black ice. One small plus with the citigo, you’ll be going somewhat slower than a 280hp superb 4x4... I do miss the citigo.

oh and I was told by a tyre company exec, the tyre labels for efficiency, noise rain, yeah what we maybe compare tyres on....no validation required. So a manf can claim a, but it might be c. That may of changed in the last six odd years, but take everything with a pinch of salt. And tyres change , kings rise and fall.

think it was my roomster I had great fun in heavy snow on a motorway driving around folk, and the little toy Ld discovery following me eventually gave up.

problem I always found though, eventually you come to a point you can’t carry on as road is blocked. So eventually learnt not to go out unless I had too :)

Any good winter tyre if you expect snow more than once is worth it. That and a sleeping bag, water bottle :)

• Like 1