Bilstein B6 DCC shock absorbers available at last

38 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Actually it's quite more complicated than just a fixed damping setting, it is constantly evaluating the conditions and damping (even at a macro level), I had read the details some years back, which is why it behaves so well

That was what my second point was aimed at. I didn't think it was possible for Joe public to adjust the dynamic characteristics so didn't want to ask about that.

42 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

The shocks are essentially the same between all MQB cars so it must be a matter of electronic adjustment, unfortunately no-one has come across a way to change this, hence why some who are after a really sporty ride but like being able to dial it back on occasion are switching to the B6 DCC (instead of passive aftermarket dampers with DCC delete for example).

This was my thinking too. Golf r DCC settings are clearly more firm than the Skoda offerings. Yes some is achieved by stiffer springs but all know springs must be matched to dampers for the best performance. I guess it has been looked into a fair bit so I'll not dig any more.

There's a DCC mod going round that I thinks takes an Arteon dataset/parameter file to give a slider rather than discrete normal modes:

Not sure exactly what's involved or any pre-requisites but it suggests you can go stiffer than sport :)

https://www.drive2.com/l/567978296046780450/

• Like 2

I've ordered some B6 front shocks from Demon Tweeks as they were cheaper than B4's from Euro Car Parts.

I doubt they will show up as the price seemed too good to be true and the website stated 'in stock within 8 days' or something but we will see.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, langers2k said:

There's a DCC mod going round that I thinks takes an Arteon dataset/parameter file to give a slider rather than discrete normal modes:

Not sure exactly what's involved or any pre-requisites but it suggests you can go stiffer than sport :)

https://www.drive2.com/l/567978296046780450/

Interesting, but not a VCDS mod unfortunately. From the translation I understand the Arteon's firmware needs to be flashed which needs special equipment.

What I don't see is how the Arteon's setup (especially not being the Arteon R) could be any firmer than that of the Cupra...

2 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

I think we can all agree that all the settings (or at least normal and sport) need to be a little firmer.

To me at least, it would be great that way. Then again there's no vRS Superb that would officially justify setting that car equal to a Golf R's ride, and as I have said, Sportline DCC in Sport is pretty controlled and more than adequate for most owners so I see the logic behind it.

I can also see how some would have found the car less comfortable with everything turned up a notch based on some comments of the stock ride already.

What would be ideal would be either an extra "Race" setting and leaving all the rest as they are, or to have turned up only "Sport" mode while keeping the other two as they are.

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1

Further research I need to do now is find out what is cross compatible between superb and Passat. Not been able to find a good enough forum yet for Passat that has the same wealth of knowledge as here.

SpeakEV is great for the ev side of the GTE but the car side (arguably the bit that interests me most) is hard to find good info on.

I imagine the shocks/springs are somewhat the same.

41 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

Further research I need to do now is find out what is cross compatible between superb and Passat. Not been able to find a good enough forum yet for Passat that has the same wealth of knowledge as here.

SpeakEV is great for the ev side of the GTE but the car side (arguably the bit that interests me most) is hard to find good info on.

I imagine the shocks/springs are somewhat the same.

In all seriousness, Briskoda is one of the biggest niceties of owning a Skoda :tongueout:

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

In all seriousness, Briskoda is one of the biggest niceties of owning a Skoda :tongueout:

Absolutely agreed! Just a shame I couldn't follow 2 Octavia's with another Skoda.

• 2 months later...

This is an education. Thank you! 

I have a 2017 L&K  M3 with 215,000 KLM. The front shocks have stated leaking and I need to replace them. 

I am looking at upgrading them but want to do it right and get the right costings. 

I am looking at the Bilstein B6 DampTronic

as you suggested 

Should I change the factory fitted springs. 

I would appreciate your advice. 

Email.. [email protected] 

On 08/03/2021 at 21:29, Max M4X WW said:

otherwise the stock springs will be fine

just if stock springs aren't already lowered by time

200604_SS3_mans_DCC_ED.thumb.jpg.986b92b4c5083fa0b19d0046def3e1fe.jpg

Edited by MartiniB

• 3 weeks later...

The Bilstein code was 23-254343

They do ride a bit firmer, but my old shocks were leaking so not sure how good the ride should have been before, I am on 19's so that obviously doesn't help.

Handling is definitely improved but again I am not sure by how much as I am comparing to suspension past its best and I have only done the fronts so far.

• Thanks 1

On 07/03/2021 at 13:44, SuperbIRL142 said:

This is an education. Thank you! 

I have a 2017 L&K  M3 with 215,000 KLM. The front shocks have stated leaking and I need to replace them. 

I am looking at upgrading them but want to do it right and get the right costings. 

I am looking at the Bilstein B6 DampTronic

as you suggested 

Should I change the factory fitted springs. 

I would appreciate your advice. 

Email.. paul@ons.ie 

Hi Paul, I would love to hear how you get on with this as I am in the same boat with at least one of the shocks on my L&K.........I'm in Naas but I travel the country.

6 hours ago, k.young said:

Hi Paul, I would love to hear how you get on with this as I am in the same boat with at least one of the shocks on my L&K.........I'm in Naas but I travel the country.

Small world, I grew up in Two-Mile-House

On 30/03/2021 at 22:09, AlVal said:

Small world, I grew up in Two-Mile-House

I spent an "essential" night on the beer in Two Mile House on Saturday night.  A good mate lives there.

It's a small world indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/03/2021 at 15:40, k.young said:

Hi k.

I probably asked the same questions to too many people and looking around was causing me brain damage.

I figure (suspect) that the suspension was going or gone before the warranty was up and the main dealer just didnt tell me. 

Anyway there's 216k KLM on her or 134k miles  . DCC suspension is expensive. I try to look after the car and I was unimpreesed that the main dealer didn't offer the advice of replacing mounts and bushings etc, so I have placed an order with Dalton's in portlaoise for Bilstein B6 . I getting front and rear done. Due to availability, brexit, C19 , and couriers, the parts are not due in till mid may , (its now mid April) . cost is euro 1850 ish .

My Xeon front headlight is flickering every so often also . so I need both bulbs replaced .. Circa euro 100 each   

Just got new tyres at €160 a corner 

Diesel is going up.

Ffs..  Shoot me 

On 12/04/2021 at 09:13, SuperbIRL142 said:

Hi k.

I probably asked the same questions to too many people and looking around was causing me brain damage.

I figure (suspect) that the suspension was going or gone before the warranty was up and the main dealer just didnt tell me. 

Anyway there's 216k KLM on her or 134k miles  . DCC suspension is expensive. I try to look after the car and I was unimpreesed that the main dealer didn't offer the advice of replacing mounts and bushings etc, so I have placed an order with Dalton's in portlaoise for Bilstein B6 . I getting front and rear done. Due to availability, brexit, C19 , and couriers, the parts are not due in till mid may , (its now mid April) . cost is euro 1850 ish .

My Xeon front headlight is flickering every so often also . so I need both bulbs replaced .. Circa euro 100 each   

Just got new tyres at €160 a corner 

Diesel is going up.

Ffs..  Shoot me 

Paul, is the order you placed in Daltons for the Bilstein DCC version and does it incude fitting and new bushings/mounts??

I have been qouted €1300 by Sheehys Naas for replacing the front DCC shocks.

(I had the DSG serviced in January and the Timing Belt service last month, 4 new tyres in December..........I know the feeling!!)

• 2 weeks later...

Well faith forced my hand on this earlier today...........the spring snapped. So it's in Sheehy Motors as we speak waiting on parts. 2 DCC shocks + springs and mounts.

That'll be €1800 young man.........now be on your way!!!!!

7 hours ago, k.young said:

Well faith forced my hand on this earlier today...........the spring snapped. So it's in Sheehy Motors as we speak waiting on parts. 2 DCC shocks + springs and mounts.

That'll be €1800 young man.........now be on your way!!!!!

I'm sorry 1800EUR just for the 2 front shocks? OEM DCC or BIlstein B6? You got me confused.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, newbie69 said:

I'm sorry 1800EUR just for the 2 front shocks? OEM DCC or BIlstein B6? You got me confused.

Skoda genuine DCC x 2........Springs x 2 and mounting hardware..........in Skoda main dealer.

Edited by k.young

4 hours ago, k.young said:

Skoda genuine DCC x 2........Springs x 2 and mounting hardware..........in Skoda main dealer.

But how didn't you go for Bilstein B6 DCC?  You could upgrade all 4 for the same price Skoda quoted just for the two fronts, and have better handling and a product that should not fail again or at least would be serviceable...

• Like 1