Cracked Haldex Unit

John@C

11 hours ago, J.R. said:

Again its difficult to work out from what was written but my guess is, or should I say my hope is, that he had RAC breakdown cover & the vehicle was insured with another insurer, he has now moved all of his cover to the RAC.

I hope that any legal cover is from the breakdown policy and not from the new vehicle insurance policy for the reasons that you state, hopefully he will confirm.

And hopefully he will confirm that an independant inspection took place before the garage got their devious mitts on the vehicle.

I was also going to mention car hire but did not want to encourage him to run up expenses until he was sure of being in the driving seat.

I hope that any legal cover is from the breakdown policy and not from the new vehicle insurance policy for the reasons that you state, hopefully he will confirm.

* Yes, it was from my current insurers and will not renew with them.

* I live in Zone 4 - London Borough and public transport  is fine

* The policy I had was mainly for business cover and costing me a fortune...Just got a new quote and cheaper deal with RAC for domestic and I like their customer service.

And hopefully he will confirm that an independant inspection took place before the garage got their devious mitts on the vehicle.

* Call it inexperience/good faith....It did go back to the main dealer at a cost of £260 for diagnostics to discover 4.5 K expense to follow.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

A solicitor could make them weep.   This can not have them do faulty work on a customers car and then penalise the customer.

They have never compensated in the UK those that were mislead by Defeat Devices installed on their vehicles.

A 2014 car is not in Warranty so you are not making a warranty claim, just a claim against their employees error possibly.

Screenshot 2020-10-13 at 19.11.19.png

thanks e-Roottoot,

It's going to be a tough one, I'm in communications with the main dealer escaltion team. A few more questions and answers to gather before  next steps with a letter of intent.

Unfortunately I have health issues to prep for a procedure in the next 7 days.

I value all the comments and replies.

Regards

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Then they have you by the balls. A shame as you started out so well.

Well yes, Skoda UK and Main dealer were my first port of call...Wishful thinking to my detriment and horror.

It's only a car, my health is more important...I have to consider diesel gate too.

Regards

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Funny how they now have a workshop again.

Offering is to move it to their main branch 30 miles away. If I accept the good will gesture.

Have been following these postings with interest and much sympathy.

I think most of us realise what has gone on here - incorrect identification of the four different drain and refill plugs.

If the dealership denied liability, why would it make any goodwill gesture at all?

That it has made a gesture now means only quantum needs to be finalised. 

DLTBGYD !

(meanwhile, best wishes for your imminent med. procedure)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John@C said:

It's only a car, my health is more important...

Indeed your health, both physical and mental is ultimately much more important than this car situation. You need to step back a bit, wind down and relax/prepare yourself for whatever your health procedure is, fingers crossed that all goes well for you.

The car can wait, it is not going anywhere and they cannot demand you remove it.

When they do call, remind them constantly of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and you firmly believe this situation os as a direct result of incorrect and negligent servicing of the Haldex. You have sought technical advice which confirms its highly probable they drained the differential instead of the Haldex which is known to lead to exactly the damage observed.

Demand the dealer raise a "case" with Skoda UK technical and that Skoda UK contact you directly. Only a dealer can raise a case with Skoda UK. You then should eventually be contacted by a case manager (mine were always based in Sheffield). Make sure to keep notes of all that is said by everyone. Again repeat what I advised you to say in the previous paragraph

Note that raising a case is not the same as you contacting Skoda Customer Care, which is merely a PR telephone helpline for for answering simple queries and has no real clout to resolve disputes.

Tell them you are unavailable for the period you are in hospital/under treatment.

Wait until you have exhausted this route before moving to the next level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bexhillian said:

Have been following these postings with interest and much sympathy.

I think most of us realise what has gone on here - incorrect identification of the four different drain and refill plugs.

If the dealership denied liability, why would it make any goodwill gesture at all?

That it has made a gesture now means only quantum needs to be finalised. 

DLTBGYD !

(meanwhile, best wishes for your imminent med. procedure)

Thank you

32 minutes ago, John@C said:

Dear xman,

I thank you for your comments

May I get a short synopsis  of your tech case ?

The outcome?

Regards

Not sure this of use in your case.

Both cases were raised where the (same) car was out of warranty were failures that occured shortly after repairs (3-9 months)

The first case it was initially a warranty (known) issue repair that subsequently failed again within a few months, this issue recurred four times until eventually the car was out of warranty and I was told that any further obligation under warranty had ceased. Not accepting this, I stood my ground and eventually Skoda UK (not the dealer) authorised a wider repair which it turned out was where the fault lay all along.

Unfortunately when I drove the car out of the dealer, within a mile it became obvious there was now a very serious problem with gearbox/final drive. Immediately returned the car to the dealer who gave me a courtesy car while they investigated (which found a broken differential)

There then followed one long stressful week of telephone discussion, the dealer denying any responsibility, "just a coincidence", I demanded Skoda UK involvment and eventually Skoda UK authorised a full rebuild of the gearbox and arranged a VW finance courtesy car while it was done.

I had then just recently bought a new Superb and ran 3 other Skodas one of which I told them I was on the brink of changing for another new Skoda. That last bit seemed to sway Skoda Uk. Im not sure if I would have succeeded otherwise.

• Like 2

Dear xman,

Thank you for sharing

There then followed one long stressful week of telephone discussion, the dealer denying any responsibility, "just a coincidence",

I had ' never in my entire, 30 years in the car industry' heard or seen this issue.

Regards

Edited by John@C

1 hour ago, John@C said:

I had ' never in my entire, 30 years in the car industry' heard or seen this issue.

According to the dealer training manual*, he's only supposed to say that to women and under 21's, needs retraining obviously.

I'd laugh if it wasn't so serious.

* under " Chapter 3: 10 ways to fob off a customer and send them on their way”

Edited by xman
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, xman said:

According to the dealer training manual*, he's only supposed to say that to women and under 21's, needs retraining obviously.

I'd laugh if it wasn't so serious.

* under " Chapter 3: 10 ways to fob off a customer and send them on their way”

LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’d just like to add my thanks to everyone who has posted on this Haldex thread and the other ones with all the helpful info and advice – and especially for the heads up on cleaning the pump filter on the Haldex 5 unit.

I asked Allams to do the oil change at 3 years (47k miles). It wasn’t on their to do list as standard service items. At 6 years I assumed the dealer at MK would do it (and I forgot to check beforehand) and it wasn’t done, so it was on my to do list.

Then I read the pump filer cleaning info and that became a high priority now being 6.5 years and 88k miles.

I bought the service kit from  haldexrepairs.co.uk and I’m well impressed with their service and the info on their website.

Yesterday, I jacked the Yeti up (many jacks and axles stands) and got on with the task. Probably the most difficult job is undoing the adult-proof pump harness plug from the controller… Yes, I watched all the videos but it’s still impossible! In the end, I unbolted the controller and that made it all possible.

The oil looked pretty clean as it drained out and I wasn’t expecting to see the pump filter (and pump housing) in the condition they were – a sort of congealed mess covering at least 80% of the filter.

How well it was working, who know. I ran a VCDS check before and after as well as the ‘pump learn’ program from VCDS.

I don’t blame the dealers – the manual doesn’t tell them to pull the pump and clean the filter but it certainly should. I am surprised the dealers don’t even have the oil change on their radar – but then, MK told me my Citigo cambelt change was due (it doesn’t get replaced according to the Skoda manual), failed the MOT on it for having the headlights too low (then they found the headlight adjuster on the dash) and told me the wheel bolts ‘won’t tighten, they just keep turning because there’s copper grease on them’…. I won’t be going back there.

Anyway, thanks again for the wealth of good info once again on Briskoda. I took a load of pictures and will write up a bit on how I did it in case it’s of use to other Haldex V owners.

IMG_5828.JPG

IMG_5831.JPG

And after cleaning....

IMG_5853.thumb.JPG.a2bf72c5e342acd977a6bebb924d19e1.JPG

IMG_5862.JPG

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, aerofurb said:

Anyway, thanks again for the wealth of good info once again on Briskoda. I took a load of pictures and will write up a bit on how I did it in case it’s of use to other Haldex V owners.

Nice job.

I'd be interested in your write up to see how you did it (even if just to learn where you placed axel sands etc :)) as I fancy trying it myself,

• Like 1

And I’ve written a few guides in 10 years of owning Yetis...

One of my concerns before embarking on this latest job was safe access (likewise with Dale, too...!), so I will indeed be including how I secured TIBET III safely in the air - not something that may have been covered for the Yeti in other type’s ‘how to guides’.

Edited by aerofurb
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...