New car paint defects..

So, after 7 months waiting for my Skoda Superb to arrive, I'm greeted with a phone call from the detailer saying they've picked up numerous defects in the paint. Sigh, here we go.

There appears to be streaking, or lines of some sort, in between the clearcoat and paint from what I can gather. You can only catch them in certain light and they're hard to photograph:

63DC305A-3D53-4861-B8EA-FD15D14A9D03.jpeg.1f06ac8e31ddbecffa7e218884785734.thumb.jpeg.dcba4374767418c231d7e723d219fc1e.jpeg4F58F6CD-DCE0-45E3-9B98-F36B5F59DE5E.jpeg.9f0cc9856b7ce55c993e68a611a712d7.thumb.jpeg.af9af66961d1bc57e35db781e7b32436.jpeg

There's numerous ones on the roof by the attena, but I couldn't see them. The worst offenders are the drivers side passenger door and the front passenger side roof. If you zoom in you'll see the defect above the green lines, it runs from sticker to sticker. They're smooth if you run your finger over them, and they haven't polished out.

So now the car has to go back to the dealer, they will take photos and send them to Skoda New Zealand who will then send it to the factory for comment. I'm guessing the whole roof will need to be resprayed and the passenger and drivers door too..

Thoughts on what these are? Just poor application by the factory robots?

Edited by Guest

Did the car go straight from the dealer to your detailed ?

edit to say....  Yes I see from an older post it probably did. Well if it was me I would be taking a long and hard look at the paint and asking myself could I live with it if it’s hardly visible ?

If the answer was no then I would be handing the car back no way would I be knowingly having that amount of paint redone on my new car. 

Edited by Nick_H

If it was just a couple of spots then I'd probably live with it, but at a guess the whole roof will need to be resprayed plus passenger door and drivers door

I've already advised the dealer I'm not accepting it in its current state, so I just have to go through their process now..

Personally I don't really care if the car is resprayed, so long as its imperceptable then I'm fine with that. If I wasn't fine with it then it  would be another factory order, as no one orders Superbs with the options I picked, so there's none like it in the country. So that will be another 5-7 month wait on top of the 7 month wait already. Then I run the risk of the new one having the exact same issue, or damanged in transit etc etc..

The alternative is that I just walk away from the brand altogether..

Edited by Guest

That roof fault looks like an early defect, so a scratch on roof, or in the primer or the colourcoat that's filled in from the clearcoat. That's rubbish, I'd want a respray, AND a discount AND a real proper (no if's/buts) rust guarantee or I'd walk away - I realise your supply chain length makes rejection harder.

I have to ask how the hell did this get through quality control, totally unacceptable in my opinion.

I had a company Octavia ordered many years ago, during the PDI a turbo charger fault appeared on the dash board, this required the removal of the turbo and a new unit to be fitted, I was informed by our transport manager and advised to reject the car which I did, his opinion was if it starts with that issue at PDI then what else was waiting to pop up its head.

Meeting went well

Basically they’ll send photos to Skoda NZ for them to comment and go from there

Whatever I decide will have no financial implications to me, they’ll refund my deposit if I want to walk away or put it towards another car etc

So I’m happy with that

The "approved repairer", for Skoda NZ, is coming in to do a paint report on the car to send to them so will be interesting what they have to say

After inspection by the approved repairer they think its very faint scratches, which can all be resolved with a full cut and polish of the car, no paint required. So it's going to them today to start that process.

I'm a bit miffed at why the detailer couldn't have done that, seeing as cutting and polishing is part and parcel of their trade but oh well. Maybe the way it presented itself was something they'd not seen before..

If that's all that's required then it's quite possibly the best outcome

11 hours ago, defiant said:

...which can all be resolved with a full cut and polish of the car, no paint required....

I'm a bit miffed at why the detailer couldn't have done that,...

Earlier on you said:

"Yes, the dealer was instructed not to clean or detail the car"

So, you already have an answer to your question as to why the dealer didn't do it! You can't have it both ways.

5 minutes ago, budster said:

Earlier on you said:

"Yes, the dealer was instructed not to clean or detail the car"

So, you already have an answer to your question as to why the dealer didn't do it! You can't have it both ways.

I think you failed to read the thread properly

The car was at a detailer, I’m surprised they didn’t just cut and polish it. I didn’t say I’m surprised the dealer didn’t because I know they didn’t..

I know who the dealer uses to valet cars, and their work is adequate at best.

15 minutes ago, UndertheRadar said:

Dealer. Detailer. 
first one wasn’t to touch it. 
second one was. 
If first one didn’t touch it and second one did, then the Detailer put them there with a poor wash process and then highlighted them. IMO. 

Plausible, thankfully there has been no blame game being played by the dealer or Skoda NZ. But given I wasn’t physically there to watch them do anything I can’t prove or disprove it either way. 

Myself and quite a few of my friends have put cars through them with no issues so they’re not unknown to me, and I like to think I have a good relationship with them that they would admit fault if they caused it

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, defiant said:

I think you failed to read the thread properly

The car was at a detailer, I’m surprised they didn’t just cut and polish it. I didn’t say I’m surprised the dealer didn’t because I know they didn’t..

I know who the dealer uses to valet cars, and their work is adequate at best.

Ah, yes, need more caffeine, or stronger glasses!

I couldn’t see the marks on the photos except for the one on the roof. It looks exactly like a wash mark, which I’m hoping it is, as a DA with 1500 or lighter should shift it. 
Then you can get your car coated and enjoy it without any further hassle or waiting. 

Just now, budster said:

Ah, yes, need more caffeine, or stronger glasses!

I had to double check my post, I’ve been using the words detailer and dealer so much lately they’re merging into one 😔

Just now, UndertheRadar said:

I couldn’t see the marks on the photos except for the one on the roof. It looks exactly like a wash mark, which I’m hoping it is, as a DA with 1500 or lighter should shift it. 
Then you can get your car coated and enjoy it without any further hassle or waiting. 

You can see similar lines running either side of where the fluorescent light hits the car, it’s hard to photograph and hard to see unless you’re standing on at the right angle or the light catches it right 

But basically the mark runs from sticker to sticker on that particular photo of the rear passenger door 

I’m hoping so too, to me it looks like the mark is underneath the clear coat but I’m just a layman with no experience in car paint

Yes. I see them now. I’d be very surprised if that was anything to do with the paint process. I find the paint on my superb is very easily marked. My front bumper would probably mark if you sneezed on it to heavily. 
when they sand those marks out and correct the entire car, if you apply a good ceramic coating properly, the coating will take the wash marks and protect the top coat underneath. 
You can still cut some of the marks from the coating with a very light DA. I would use something like my Rupes white finishing pad and either Uno Protect or Keramik gloss (fine) at a low speed.

Then depending on how long you keep the car, after a few years you can cut it back completely and replace the ceramic coating all together. 

i'll try not to sneeze around the car then :D 

it's getting a ceramic coating, once Arlington (approved repairer) finish with the cut and polish, with beeds ceramic