Lane assist is dangerous

Not so on all cars, mine for instance via the touch screen which is IMO dangerous to go trawling through menus to turn it off. Not all makes of car are equal, the first car I came this feature on, it caught me totally unaware, that was a Nissan, and it really was aggressive and very alarming when you weren't expecting it. I had to pull over and check for problems. RTM I discovered that it had if I remember 3 different settings, again selected via the touch screen, and the previous driver had left it on the max setting.

12 hours ago, sussamb said:

Well this is the Kamiq forum and that's what is being discussed. Pointless discussing what other cars do.

Exactly this^. This is about the cars we drive (Skoda Kamiq) so it’s irrelevant how other cars perform.

In all my years of car forums I’ve never read a more pointless thread than this one, lane assist in the Kamiq is a minor inconvenience at worst, and I’m convinced that people like MP1983 are plants to try and lift the mood somewhat…..because everything he says about lane assist is simply hilarious, bless him😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, carefree said:

Exactly this^. This is about the cars we drive (Skoda Kamiq) so it’s irrelevant how other cars perform.

In all my years of car forums I’ve never read a more pointless thread than this one, lane assist in the Kamiq is a minor inconvenience at worst, and I’m convinced that people like MP1983 are plants to try and lift the mood somewhat…..because everything he says about lane assist is simply hilarious, bless him😂

Well, I've also posted about lane assist here, while I don't drive a Kamiq, I do drive a Superb and it is a Skoda so I seriously doubt that there is much different in their lane assist systems seeing as the VAG group cars all tend to use common parts and just stick a different label on the part with their own part numbers, so I hope you're not also saying my posts are not valid?

We have lane assist on our i30. It does what it's supposed to do really well. No sharp moves, just gentle nudges to keep the car in the lane. 

The problem with it in our car is that when it's on and you turn slightly you get feedback from the steering wheel as if one of the wheels is slightly unbalanced. So I don't use it any more. 

Edited by Mister Paul

That might be when the system thinks that you're on course to stray out of lane and its giving you a gentle nudge to let you know. The Nissan I had did that to me the first time when I was joining a motorway from a slip road. I was looking in my O/S mirror for a gap to join the main road and the slip lane was running out and as I approached the dotted line, the system kicked in and did the same making me think first of all that I had a wheel loose, and then it cut in and steered the car towards the hard shoulder, that was when I first realised the car was fitted with it.

What other cars do is really of no relevance given that this is the Kamiq forum. Think there are a few here who would do better posting on the relevant forum.

• Sad 1
  • Groan 1

On 27/10/2023 at 20:34, Graham Butcher said:

Well, I've also posted about lane assist here, while I don't drive a Kamiq, I do drive a Superb and it is a Skoda so I seriously doubt that there is much different in their lane assist systems seeing as the VAG group cars all tend to use common parts and just stick a different label on the part with their own part numbers, so I hope you're not also saying my posts are not valid?

No Graham I am not.  In fact, you are one of the very few credible posters on this forum in my opinion.  

You are right, gadgets like lane assist will be more or less the same within a certain motor group of cars, but lane assist between different manufacturers is most definitely calibrated differently in terms of sensitivity etc, that’s what I was trying to say.

• Thanks 1

As I said above, I enabled the memory function for the lane assist and gave instructions on how to do it.

I posted here because I too felt that it was dangerous.....on my '22 octavia. It feels exactly like the passenger grabbing the wheel and I can't get on with it. However, my GF has a '23 golf and it's perfectly fine on that as its only very subtle.  Go figure.  

• Like 1