Columbus Map Update 2021 (MIB1/2 HIGH)

I would have put those in myself (but didn't btw) but you do run the risk of those bollards. If the aerial image tallies with the developers plans then I reckon it fine to digitise them in. You often get the house numbering on these part developed estates on the OS planning map where the houses are finished and the building block in shown. Then a chunk left grey which you might find on the developers plan and the aerial image of the buildings / concrete down, so digitise that in, then review again for house numbering latter. My pet brown field sites of old steel works :biggrin:. Dark winter month tasks or lock down :cool:.

Find an executive development today on foot for house numbering and street name. TomTom don't believe me since its not on the OS planning map yet, probably also have old aeriel images. Here Maps do. In the postcode directory already. That's the other validation tool, house numbering and house names. Google / TomTom get street names wrong. Working round the house numbering on the OS maps and postcode directory also points to when the digital naming is incorrect. Oh what fun digital mapping is. Side hobby from a work interest many years ago when I set up digital mapping for planning purposes.

Actually Tomtom did believe me when I came to enter it again today - must have passed their validation with the developers website and plan. Just not as yet passed into their production run. Nah so I keep TomTom and Here Maps up to date but let Google rot :cool:.... just to see how long it takes for them to catch up.

isn't that all too much complicated?!
with Waze on Galaxy Note 10+ i have saved at least one suitcase filled by euros,
that is my setup for daily roads,

on abroad trips i used Google Maps on second phone
while Columbus's 8" display stays free for radio and multimedia

It's whether you are a user of maps or a crowd sourcer. You don't need to crowd source to use the maps but if you want to add back something to society you get a login in and contribute.

Google also allows you to report inaccuracy as well. There maps are also crowd sourced. The cars going round happens from time to time with all providers. Once set up they will send a car down where there have been major changes they know about to check the precise road layout.

It divides into people that moan about digital cartography and say X is better than Y and those that get a login and do something to improve the maps for the common good. That estate that John found had been put on by a crowd sourcer in their spare time for sure. Have a good guess who that was, a retired lorry driver. Suspect you won't find it on Google Maps.

There was one estate round here that had been left off Google Maps for ten years (ditto Waze). I put it on Here Maps and TomTom but didn't tell Google for two years as a test of their abilities. In the end I told them with a sharp note to make up for the roundabouts I tell them about but they reject since their validation team is rubbish. By that time an aerial image that showed the estate had appeared previous cloud cover.

Mapping companies are dependent on crowd sourcing once they have the maps set up. They do digitally cross check with each other. Run trace checks to see why they have phone tracks and GPS tracks in places they don't expect. Google being a marketing company is good on commercial POIs, lousy on non commercial activities as far as POIs. They don't invest in uptodate aeriel images which is why they lack road details. They can't validate user input since they can't check with aeriel images they don't have which are up to date and as far as the UK is concerned don't know about OS commercial planning maps. Certain amount of validation is run out of Indian operations... logically too remote. Needs boots on the ground.

• 4 months later...

I've downloaded the map update from the vw link,extracted it using 7 zip to a 64gb sd card which i formatted to fat32 with the raspberry pi tool, but the nav unit won't find the files on he sd card it just comes up with an error saying no files found etc,i've followed the instructions below on a different post about the menu system,below  but all i get is a service menu which looks like the photo below,this so frustrating

this is what i get when pressing  the menu button for 10 sec

IMG_2238

I've got alternate instructions on how to update via SD card. I've just tried it and I got to #5 where it says the update takes 60 minutes, but unlike the normal update you need to leave it going with the car not running. I'll be updating myself tomorrow.

1. Press and Hold Menu Button for approx. 10 sec until you will see:
Green Menu / Test & Erprobung / SWDL / Picture Viewer ....... please select Green Menu.

2. In the Green Menu select rcc >> swdl >> tick "User Defined SDWL"

3. From the Green Menu Press and Hold again Menu Button for approx.10 sec until you will see: "Green Menu / Test & Erprobung / SWDL / Picture Viewer ......." please select SWDL . and tick "Software Download Manual Download" and press Start Download.

4. Insert SD Card with latest Maps then press Update select "SD card" and press "MIB2 navigation database"

5. Press "Select all" and then press "Start"

51 minutes ago, batemansxxxb said:

I've downloaded the map update from the vw link,extracted it using 7 zip to a 64gb sd card which i formatted to fat32 with the raspberry pi tool, but the nav unit won't find the files on he sd card it just comes up with an error saying no files found etc,i've followed the instructions below on a different post about the menu system,below  but all i get is a service menu which looks like the photo below,this so frustrating

this is what i get when pressing  the menu button for 10 sec

IMG_2238

I've got alternate instructions on how to update via SD card. I've just tried it and I got to #5 where it says the update takes 60 minutes, but unlike the normal update you need to leave it going with the car not running. I'll be updating myself tomorrow.

1. Press and Hold Menu Button for approx. 10 sec until you will see:
Green Menu / Test & Erprobung / SWDL / Picture Viewer ....... please select Green Menu.

2. In the Green Menu select rcc >> swdl >> tick "User Defined SDWL"

3. From the Green Menu Press and Hold again Menu Button for approx.10 sec until you will see: "Green Menu / Test & Erprobung / SWDL / Picture Viewer ......." please select SWDL . and tick "Software Download Manual Download" and press Start Download.

4. Insert SD Card with latest Maps then press Update select "SD card" and press "MIB2 navigation database"

5. Press "Select all" and then press "Start"

On your second method and its got to the point where it's showing Y or Yes against the navigation attributes (Eggnog, NavDB etc) and not Err or an N or No means you are fine to proceed. It's the developers menu.

You either leave the engine running or you follow a strict come back to the car every 15 minutes and open the door (the later I do) this forces the Infotainment unit to remain powered up. Power drops every 20 minutes if you don't open the door. Basically I start it off, come in doors, give myself 15 minutes, go back out, open the door, check, go back in the house, come back out 15 minutes latter.... and watch the finishing touches or go back in the house for another 15 minutes. Once it's finished the menu can be a bit ambiguous least on a Seat. Generally when it appears finished give it another 30 seconds or so and power back up using the on/off.

That's the retro-fitters method if you are using the developers menu and don't want the engine running. Generally the drain on the battery isn't much so I would worry about flattening it. Just remember to open and close the door every 15 minutes :).

The Y / Yes (which ever it is) on the attributes is important since if you see Err / N or No don't start it off since it's done a validation on your file and decided it's not going to work. If you install like this then it will delete the map in the unit and it's then empty or in the Seat case that still uses Mapcare your navigation FeC isn't valid so the map uploads into the unit but is suspended within 30 seconds of selecting a destination and starting navigation off.

Is there no way to edit the download so you can just update your home country? That would only take a few minutes to install.

I'm pretty sure I won't be taking my car outside the UK for at least another one or two map cycles, so I really don't need the latest maps of everywhere else in Europe.

1 minute ago, Nimby said:

Is there no way to edit the download so you can just update your home country? That would only take a few minutes to install.

I'm pretty sure I won't be taking my car outside the UK for at least another one or two map cycles, so I really don't need the latest maps of everywhere else in Europe.

No. The files have an SLA1 signature so you can't mess with them. That's how they are protected from faulty downloads and user tinkering.... I've tinkered enough to know that :). You need the primary key for those and to my knowledge nobody has that.

Just now, Tell said:

Those are TomTom screen. Mib2 High (Columbus) is Here Maps. You probably needed to post on the Mib2 standard thread (Am... whatever). ;). Your problem is the validation team arent set up to correct towns incorrectly marked up as hamlets etc. They probably sit in India, the Here Maps ones do but have local representation. 

18 hours ago, Tell said:

On your second method and its got to the point where it's showing Y or Yes against the navigation attributes (Eggnog, NavDB etc) and not Err or an N or No means you are fine to proceed. It's the developers menu.

You either leave the engine running or you follow a strict come back to the car every 15 minutes and open the door (the later I do) this forces the Infotainment unit to remain powered up. Power drops every 20 minutes if you don't open the door. Basically I start it off, come in doors, give myself 15 minutes, go back out, open the door, check, go back in the house, come back out 15 minutes latter.... and watch the finishing touches or go back in the house for another 15 minutes. Once it's finished the menu can be a bit ambiguous least on a Seat. Generally when it appears finished give it another 30 seconds or so and power back up using the on/off.

That's the retro-fitters method if you are using the developers menu and don't want the engine running. Generally the drain on the battery isn't much so I would worry about flattening it. Just remember to open and close the door every 15 minutes :).

The Y / Yes (which ever it is) on the attributes is important since if you see Err / N or No don't start it off since it's done a validation on your file and decided it's not going to work. If you install like this then it will delete the map in the unit and it's then empty or in the Seat case that still uses Mapcare your navigation FeC isn't valid so the map uploads into the unit but is suspended within 30 seconds of selecting a destination and starting navigation off.

Should read "wouldn't worry about flattening the battery".... wonders of predictive text.

On 04/04/2021 at 17:38, Tell said:

I don’t quite understand, you see I get the error that it can’t find anything on the card, but it doesn’t ask if I want to proceed, is there just meant to be 2 files on the card MIB1 & MIB2 as there’s a third file which isn’t in a folder & does it make a difference if I didn’t lock the Ed card so it’s read only when inserrting it into the card reader in the car ?

1 minute ago, batemansxxxb said:

I don’t quite understand, you see I get the error that it can’t find anything on the card, but it doesn’t ask if I want to proceed, is there just meant to be 2 files on the card MIB1 & MIB2 as there’s a third file which isn’t in a folder & does it make a difference if I didn’t lock the Ed card so it’s read only when inserrting it into the card reader in the car ?

You present both folders mib1 and mib2 to it off the route directory. Attached is the VW manual which provides the clearest instructions on presentation on the SD card.  Page 3 is what you present to it. The metainfo2.txt file is important plus obvious the mib1 and mib2 folders. It dips into the mib1 folder as well it's a shared mib1 / mib2 high map release covers both bases... some people leave that out being too clever for their boots.

You come across a four file sometimes on these downloads. That isn't required (forget the name of that), but those three lines are required. Two folders in the route and the metafile in the route.

It does a validation and won't proceed if extra characters have got in via the download (the Mac issue) or not using 7zip. Fat32 is best but for the high unit it does reads NTFS. You are suppose to use a class 10 SD 32gb card.

The back end menu via the long hold on the menu button if the developers menu has been enabled bypasses the foreground normal may of doing it. Normally you should be able to get into that but it seemed you had. SWDL will start the import but does a validation check on the signatures but as said you look for the flags Y on the navigation attributes. N or Err isn't a good idea to proceed if you seem them.

I assume you have a regular unit and not a retrofit. Not sure why its not seeing the SD card unless its the issue that its not fat32, 32gb class 10. Finally you did pick say a Tiguan 2019 car with the pro unit off the website. Hit 2020 cars and you get the mib3 downliad.

Discover_Pro_June_2020_EN.pdf

Thanks for your reply,I have a regular unit fitted as standard in my 2018 Kodiaq, the download I used was in post 1 of the update thread for Tiguan, I never looked to see if there was more than one version, as the Skoda portal kept falling a short way into the download 

Edited by batemansxxxb
Typo

Mib3 one won't show mib1 and mib2 subdirectories we can say that. Then it's going to be variation from the VW compliance document that I attached either the format of the SD card that it doesn't like or extra characters in the download. It feels like the format generated by your Raspberry Pi if the rest was done on a PC. I just keep to the strict VW spec of the 32gb, class 10 card. Fat32 format on a PC and 7Zip.

Thanks for your input, I only used the raspberry pi format tool on my pc running win7 as other freeware ask for your email address & im sick of spam emails,what other program would you suggest to format the card again?

Edited by batemansxxxb

6 minutes ago, batemansxxxb said:

Thanks for your input, I only used the raspberry pi format tool on my pc running win7 as other freeware ask for your email address & im sick of spam emails,what other program would you suggest to format the card again?

The one I have used is the SD Associates (SDA) SD Memory Card Formatter

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

.... but then I've never tried the output in a mib2 unit.

The other way is to split the SD card into two units and use the built in Windows formatter. The car would then only see a 32gb card nothing larger.

This approach

Thanks again, I tried the windows formatted the card in exfat32 & the same issues & read elsewhere on briskoda  not to format in ex fat which is what windows offers apart from ntfs

it was easier with the older slower amundsen 

21 minutes ago, batemansxxxb said:

I’ve  only just discovered that the card is an sdxc. Not sdhc. As I thought does this make a difference?

I would think the bus speed, class 10 bit is more important than the sdxc, that means it can address more memory. But the unit may not like bring presented with a card greater than its expecting which is 32gb.

QNX is the operating system of the unit so its programmed to specific constraints which is why I always say stick to the VAG recommendations rather than trying to see what you can get away with. Fat32, 32gb SD card, class 10 SDHC, 7 zip on a PC, CleanMydrive and Keka on a Mac etc. Cutting corners or being inventive leads to grief. Those are the posts you read on boards.

I’ve formatted the card yet again  in fat32 this time with athe program you suggested I i will use 7zip to extract ,yet again & in the process of testing the download, the card is 64gb & class10

i thought I would try the Skoda portal again, as it has a self extract,but once again the download failed

I'd buy yourself a 32 GB card as the VW spec on the PDF than go round in circles. They are quite cheap. I operate with three keaping the cars original map release on one, then the last release and the current. One would be sufficient as per the VW PDF

You will need an SD card with a minimum of 32 GB of storage to update your navigation data. Volkswagen recommends the use of a Class 10 SDHC card, which is readily available to buy.

Move off the recommendations at your peril. Take minimum to mean it's got to be 32gb no more and no less.

Search

sdhc 32gb sd class 10

On Amazon Prime. ~ £6-50. Not a Marketplace seller one since fakes turn up more so with those sellers in memory cards....

Saving that mine were Dane-Elec from Lidl, Aldi etc. Don't buy the micro SD cards with an adaptor they aren't recommended for this purpose. Another thing that people do. Transcend, Kingston, Sandisk all will meet the spec as indeed Dane-Elec.

Skoda servers can be problematic. VW tend to be the best. The Seat has been pretty snappy of recent.

The units can also be a bit problematic about how they see cards. For POI uploads they like to be on with the card then poked in which they then see rather than card in, turn on process. That's the process I use, switch on, boot up, card goes in. It sees card. Hit the menus. I remove any other cards in either slot. Pop forward. Update card goes in. 

I've never had an issue with updating Columbus MIB2.5 on my MY18 Superb

I use one of the many genuine Kingston 32gb micro sd plus adapter cards I have laying about and using Windows 10.

There used to be a problem years ago of many fake cards around, particularly from EBay, Amazon etc. doctored to report 32gb or 64gb when it was a 2gb or reject card and I indeed did somehow end up with one. You won't normally see any evidence of this on your computer, only when you try to access data and it can't be found,

This free tool will check if your card is really what it claims to be

https://h2testw.en.lo4d.com/windows

Some older card readers/writers will only support up to 32gb (sdhc), so be aware of that possibility. (I use a £3 USB adaptor/card reader in my computer)

When I come to update the car, I don't turn on the ignition. But I do connect my battery charger, just in case, but it shouldn't be necessary.

I put the sd card in its full size adaptor into sd1 slot, making sure its fully clicked home. Turn on columbus, press menu, settings (on second page) and scroll/find the update option (can't remember exactly where). It takes perhaps 30-60 seconds before the update is found. I just press update and away it goes, approx 30-45mins to finish.

A couple of times it has come back and said "update not found", so I just turn off Columbus using the hard reset by pressing the power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and repeat the previous paragraph and so far always works.

I download from the Skoda portal using my vin, but I have also checked the vw download links posted and can confirm the map data is exactly the same, although one is packed in Zip format while the other is in 7z format, which may require you to install 7-zip software (free)

Edited by xman
  • Thanks 1