Columbus Map Update 2021 (MIB1/2 HIGH)

6 hours ago, Rednut said:

Hello from Australia!

I've been on the hunt online for over a week now trying to work out how to update my maps. I just purchased a MY15.5 Skoda Octavia vRS from the original owner (who didnt even know what an sdcard was, so assuming this system hasnt been updated at all). I've tried multiple updates (high12_p88_row_202022 & high12_p90_mrm_202045) with multiple sdcards (64gb pro, 64gb, 32gb extreme) and a 64gb usb drive. all either formated to exFat (64gb options) and fat32 (32gb sd) (i also tried ntfs with the 64gb drive) - all extracted to the media directly from the zip files. ive been going in via NAV - setup - version Info - update, and i keep getting the error as below.

pics attached are of the Columbus system, map version and the error i keep getting.

Does the system info image show what version of Columbus i have? mib1?mib2?

Do i need to update the firmware before updating to these newer map updates?

post update message 2.jpg

system info.jpg

nav version.jpg

No pesky Mac involved in what you are doing ?. If so it's the CleanMydrive and Keka to unzip as per VAG instructions for people who uses Mac's 🤣

》If the map update is performed using the Apple® OS X operating system you may find that  
Discover Pro does not recognise the map material or displays it incorrectly. This is due to a  
lack of compatibility between the “7 zip” program and the OS-X operating system. In addition,  
the OS-X operating system has a tendency to create hidden additional files on external data  
media. We therefore recommend that OS X users use the “Keka” unzipping program. We also  
recommend using the “CleanMyDrive” program to remove any hidden files.《

That's due to the unit checking that the upload file is in tact and not tampered with against the sla1 signature. OS-X adds rubbish characters to the unpacked so then leads to the unit failing.

If not that... it is a mib1 unit. There is a Dave on this thread who used the developers menu and said they did it that way. On a mib1 that comes enabled already. Mib2 it's locked down and you use VCDS tools to enable it. Long press on the menu button if it's anything like mib2 brings it up, keep pressing till you see an SWDL option if anything like mib2. Indeed what it says on the Dave post where he links to it following the link. Otherwise called the back end menu, cuts the front end out.

Fkw00d a fellow Ozzie to you referred to that on here... You could chase them down on the threads or PM them in case they had a break thru.

I'd stick to fat32. The presentation is that the metainfo2 file, the two directories for mib1 and mib2 must both be on the route, not one down and no other files or directories should be present except those mentioned.

I don't know what the situation is with Mapcare whether Skoda had abolitioned it in Australia by that year. VW called some vehicles in or rather you could take it into a dealer to get Mapcare removed. If it is Mapcare and you use the developers menu you will get the maps in, you will loose what was installed and it might lock you out of navigation if it's like Seat mib2 high and you go outside of the navigation FeC. You then reload your old maps presupposing you can find a copy. I mention that just in case that happens if you use the developers menu and Mapcare was in operation on the unit. Subsequently Skoda and VW abandoned Mapcare circa 2015 with mib2 (some unit on VW certainly slipped into Australia you see that on Ozzie boards), Seat kept it going thru the life of mib2. Developers menu could avoid Mapcare on mib1, but certainly doesn't on a mib2. Basically it kick starts up the update manually and the unit only runs with one task.

BTW nice to see Martin quoting my Seat posts 😍....

Failing all of that you find a descent retrofitter to sort it out.

18 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

@Rednut

looks like Mib2 High, but i can be wrong.

another guess, not all regions have got enabled life time updates,

like Audi and Seat owners can upload updates just first few years

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/resources/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-lost-mib1-card-solution.60/

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/ready-reckoner-on-the-limits-of-mib2-high-plus-updates-can-be-made.457561/

p.s.

try copy files from SD card back to PC and compare content,

there are couple of cases when fake SD cards are declared as big size while they are lot smaller

Those are the Seat navigation FeCs... the Skoda ones when in play would have had something other than 073 as the lead in code. I did look at Skoda FeC post the abolition of Mapcare on Skoda hoping to find what code that they added. Basically they just abandoned that the navigation FeC in the firmware. Seat did subsequently roll out lifetime in the Netherlands on Cupra's but nowhere else, so they stuck the finish date off the end. That's in that link. One pesky retrofitter in the UK was giving out one year time limited navigation FeCs on Seats when they should have been banging the Hex code out to a high value. The retrofitter was getting repeat business linking the firmware release up to the navigation FeC on the basis that you would need a firmware release each year.  Decent retrofitters in the UK now put the navigation FeC at the same value as the Cupra one well off the end of when VAG will stop releasing mib2 updates... life time isn't really life time. That's the history of that table why I created it. Been useful for people with Seats in Europe where they have taken out Mapcare but run off the end of the free updates.

FeCs are in play on mib3, had a look in the local dealer but I reckon the concept of navigation FeCs has gone, they do other things... you can pull them up thou on those units and have a look.

6 hours ago, Tell said:

Those are the Seat navigation FeCs... the Skoda ones when in play would have had something other than 073 as the lead in code. I did look at Skoda FeC post the abolition of Mapcare on Skoda hoping to find what code that they added. Basically they just abandoned that the navigation FeC in the firmware. Seat did subsequently roll out lifetime in the Netherlands on Cupra's but nowhere else, so they stuck the finish date off the end. That's in that link. One pesky retrofitter in the UK was giving out one year time limited navigation FeCs on Seats when they should have been banging the Hex code out to a high value. The retrofitter was getting repeat business linking the firmware release up to the navigation FeC on the basis that you would need a firmware release each year.  Decent retrofitters in the UK now put the navigation FeC at the same value as the Cupra one well off the end of when VAG will stop releasing mib2 updates... life time isn't really life time. That's the history of that table why I created it. Been useful for people with Seats in Europe where they have taken out Mapcare but run off the end of the free updates.

FeCs are in play on mib3, had a look in the local dealer but I reckon the concept of navigation FeCs has gone, they do other things... you can pull them up thou on those units and have a look.

On your PS a fake card could do that as you say, so your check would work - good idea. That one is a MIB1 high unit which shares the same upload as a MIB2 high. I see Fkw00d visited the board 22 minutes ago so still alive and kicking but only made three posts in 2019, two on the issues of the map update but no success reported. @fkw00d - see whether that works :). (comes of being a Seatcupra moderator :))

thanks for the replies all! I did msg fkw00d and got a response. I've also since tried service mode and founds some more options. It does look like our system is the MIB1. As below, I currently have the old p88 maps (2019/2020?) on the sd card and it appears to recognise them, but it wont let me update. would updating the firmware remove the 'you sh all not pass' thing? also, no Apple products here!

nav version update.jpg

service mode.jpg

software 1 current.jpg

hmi versions current.jpg

nav version update.jpg

Hi, I took my eyes off this after Dec `19 until Rednut pinged me. Looks like you went down the same screens as I did. erWin build data for my car says it's a High Radio (Gen1) which is MIB1 I reckon.

I formatted both SD card & USB stick as exFAT & NTFS but don't think I did FAT32; will give that a try this/next weekend and report back

just called the local Skoda centre and they 'dont think its supported anymore' and that 'it probably cant be updated'. i refuse to believe that..

1 hour ago, Rednut said:

just called the local Skoda centre and they 'dont think its supported anymore' and that 'it probably cant be updated'. i refuse to believe that..

This is where you need a good retrofitter to adjust the navigation FeC in it I reckon if they exist in Australia now. So it's pre when they took Mapcare off Mib1. Adjusting the navigation FeC was something they use to do with VWs in Australia prior to Mapcare being dropped.

It is a Mib1 high from the build code and Google's. That bar that says "Mib1" means it's read it off the SD card / USB. The "N/A" means non applicable so the update on SD card doesn't tally with the function. You need to be careful that you don't force a navigation update where it's not supported, done that been there on my learning curve with mib2, people before me and people after. If you do that you need a version of the map that tallies with the unit or before... The file named on the screen to restore. I spent a month driving about without navigation till I did that.

In mib2 high the key before starting off the update via the backend menu is to see a row of Y (for Yes) against NavDB, Eggnog, Truffles, SpeechResVDE via the backend using SWDL. It will be similar for sure in Mib1 high. The navigation FeC protects NavDB which is the cartography. SpeechResVDE is the speech, Eggnog and Truffles are I believe the built in POIs and Names you see on the map. Everything other than NavDB you can update but you kill the navigation if you update NavDB. 

Attached are keys screens. If you see the third one with the F and Err means the navigation FeC isn't applicable, the update is beyond the period allowed by Mapcare. If you force an update then you get the forth screen with the OKs in it. Enter a destination, start off navigation and within 30 seconds you get the fifth screen. You then reinstall what the map the car came with (version Or earlier) and find a retrofitter to adjusted the navigation FeC least if it's a mib2. Will be the same for mib1.

DIY activity is beyond the average user to do a navigation FeC update and can wreck the unit. Least on a mib2 high. I saw Mr Fixit wiki had something assembled from web pages last night I guess. A good retrofitter takes a copy of the units settings, does the adjustment but has a backup to restore if it goes wrong. DIY fiddling you wouldn't have that and at £800 or so messing up an infotainment unit by attempting to reprogram the FeCs isn't recommended although some places offer DIY downloads. It took a day for a retrofitter to restore traffic sign recognition back to my car after the updated the FeCs, read road speed signs as kph not mph so told be I was speeding at half the speed it should. They kept saying job done, half a mile down the found it wasn't. Three attempts and three hours later they got it right. Traffic reports need to be enabled via VCDS. The rather poor retrofitter had a reputation for not reabling those. I was forwarned of that one. There is a much better retrofitter in the UK now than the one I used at the time with positive reports. That's where the problem exists is to find a decent one locally. There are people that offer to do it remotely if you buy the USB box and they go online taking over your computer remotely... Not a totally good one either without risk. Extract the unit and parcel it up or a personal visit is the best (latter). The UK ones use one of the three methods.

Screenshot_20210420-081411.png

Screenshot_20210420-081400.png

Screenshot_20210420-080855.png

Screenshot_20210420-081249.png

Screenshot_20210420-081312.png

thanks Tell.

I'm tech savvy with computers but not the ones that are in cars. I can barely check the oil when it comes to mechanics too :giggle:

If it requires me to fork out $100's for a VCDS(had to google what it was) then i guess i'll just stick to google maps on my phone for now and if im in an area with no reception i'll rely on maps from 2015..

1 hour ago, Rednut said:

then i guess i'll just stick to google maps on my phone for now and if im in an area with no reception i'll rely on maps from 2015..

You can use offline maps on your phone so you'd only miss out on real time traffic.

1 hour ago, Rednut said:

thanks Tell.

I'm tech savvy with computers but not the ones that are in cars. I can barely check the oil when it comes to mechanics too :giggle:

If it requires me to fork out $100's for a VCDS(had to google what it was) then i guess i'll just stick to google maps on my phone for now and if im in an area with no reception i'll rely on maps from 2015..

I think DIY FeC adjustments are a bit too dangerous... best to leave it to the experts, some are better than others. A London based one killed a Seat mib2 high but since it was under warranty the owner got it replaced. Was the same retrofitter that had aligned the FeC period to one year that generated repeat business. e.g. unscrupulous operator. The guy has gone back to Poland, home grown northern retrofitters that do a better job now. Due to Seat in the UK putting mib2 highs on Cupra brand up to 2020 and not supporting Mapcare in the UK, quite a market for their work.

Re reading Australian VW mib1 high posts at the time around 2015 or so, they were taking their cars back to VW to get Mapcare put on them which would have been unlimited. Semantics. So Mapcare on those vehicles gave you unlimited as they pushed the hex code to a high value. Without Mapcare the hex value is set at the build quarter least in mib2 highs so you cant update it. They probably also had a firmware update at that period reading those boards. Veritable dv52 was commenting on long strings before and after to work out what may have been done. 

Suspect if you find a reliable Australian based retrofitter and they knew their stuff they might be able to help. Since the mib1 high shares the same map update file as mib2 high, reckon the units will be able to be updated till 2025 if the FeC codes were adjusted. 2025 is 5 years after they stopped fitting mib2 which may be the end life for mib2 updates (2020+5 for mib2 (standard and high), 2015+5 for mib1 standard).  We will see.

Assume there are some Columbus Mib people in Europe that have taken the map update of November 2020 and will be still taking this forward. One advantage of the shared update file, five extra years of updates.

6 minutes ago, john999boy said:

You can use offline maps on your phone so you'd only miss out on real time traffic.

I never have the space so delete the Google downloads 😂.

I have Co-pilot all world ones on my phablet (Here Map based), Sygic Tom Tom all world ones. Both offline, you have HereWeGo online Here Maps and new online AmiGo TomTom based (last two free). AmiGo is suppose to be supported within Android Auto as an alternative (they opened Android Auto up). Haven't tried that within Android Auto but works fine in standalone. Latter two use free online traffic data. Ofcourse with connected cars (mib3 etc) they are now feeding real time traffic data into the system getting the same edge as online Google Maps.

Once 2025 comes I'll be using apps where there are new roads rather than the built in mib2 🤣. Nothing so annoying than finding you are off pista according to sat nav when you aren't or just grin and bear it. New bypasses are the issue where they take out an existing route so you can't get a route to where you want to go. 

Just noticed yesterday that since the update, the Nav map has stopped showing Petrol stations,when i tap on POI  it says it needs to connect to the internet, i used my phone as va hotspot 7 it imported thee poi,but they still don't show on the main map itself like they used to,als finding the nav start up is slower in booting than prev too

Off topic i'm still finding the radio doesn't switch from DAB  to FM

Edited by batemansxxxb

54 minutes ago, batemansxxxb said:

Just noticed yesterday that since the update, the Nav map has stopped showing Petrol stations,when i tap on POI  it says it needs to connect to the internet, i used my phone as va hotspot 7 it imported thee poi,but they still don't show on the main map itself like they used to,als finding the nav start up is slower in booting than prev too

Off topic i'm still finding the radio doesn't switch from DAB  to FM

Pass on what its saying about realtime POIs on a Skoda. The stored POIs should be being shown if you toggle them on. Will be in the infotainment menu. You are allowed a set of nine or so in mib.

If you have particular needs you can import other ones with Poinspect0r if you Google that. Takes some effort to set up but once done you can import your own still within the limits of how many poi groups you can show at a time. It has a Skoda, VW, Seat user base. It replaces the now deleted VW website in German and the Skoda one that doesn't work very well. Mib1, Mib2 and the previous RNS. Doesn't work with Mib3 where there is (currently) no Poi import menu within the infotainment system (how people get the beeps with their speed camera databases they import themselves). But as said takes some effort at PC computer skills but once done it's there to be used. You can use it to save destinations from coordinates, it's an old Skoda trick I was told about :). Swiss army knife for getting user POIs in, but there will be built in ones on your map file for sure.

https://poinspect0r.blogspot.com/?m=1

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tell said:

Pass on what its saying about realtime POIs on a Skoda. The stored POIs should be being shown if you toggle them on. Will be in the infotainment menu. You are allowed a set of nine or so in mib.

If you have particular needs you can import other ones with Poinspect0r if you Google that. Takes some effort to set up but once done you can import your own still within the limits of how many poi groups you can show at a time. It has a Skoda, VW, Seat user base. It replaces the now deleted VW website in German and the Skoda one that doesn't work very well. Mib1, Mib2 and the previous RNS. Doesn't work with Mib3 where there is (currently) no Poi import menu within the infotainment system (how people get the beeps with their speed camera databases they import themselves). But as said takes some effort at PC computer skills but once done it's there to be used. You can use it to save destinations from coordinates, it's an old Skoda trick I was told about :). Swiss army knife for getting user POIs in, but there will be built in ones on your map file for sure.

https://poinspect0r.blogspot.com/?m=1

Thanks for your reply, i do have the POI toggled on in the menu, thanks for the info on poinspector,i'll look at that later

Lots of talk on here of buying a 32Gb SD card for updating maps.

The Skoda instructions say that you must use the original Skoda SD card as it has a "security chip" in it.

That sounds like b#llocks to me but just checking: you can use any class 10 SD card?

Edited by reg091

35 minutes ago, reg091 said:

Lots of talk on here of buying a 32Gb SD card for updating maps.

The Skoda instructions say that you must use the original Skoda SD card as it has a "security chip" in it.

That sounds like b#llocks to me but just checking: you can use any class 10 SD card?

That's more for the standard SD card based system which has a CID (hidden ID code). All VAG standard mib2 cars read any VAG SD cards so you can buy a 32gb card if you got a 16gb card or lost one. It's really for the SD card based VAG systems not the mib2 high which is this thread title. Don't need a specific VAG card for that.

I just get a bit irritated when people ignore Vag guidance and go off pista on mib2 high updates. Suppose to be a 32gb card, fat32, they are cheap. Class 10.

• Like 1

Thanks @Tell and @batemansxxxb Looks like I have the Amundsen system then. Yes, it says it on the sd card now I look at it! Doh!

Putting VIN into Skoda update portal says no maps available.

Will the map files downloaded from the link in this thread work (HIGH12_P189_EU_202045)?

Edited by reg091

6 minutes ago, reg091 said:

Thanks @Tell and @batemansxxxb Looks like I have the Amundsen system then. Yes, it says it on the sd card now I look at it! Doh!

Putting VIN into Skoda update portal says no maps available.

Will the map files downloaded from the link in this thread work (HIGH12_P189_EU_202045)?

1530 is your last release for November 2020 published late by Skoda but available Seat and VW. See Martini's other thread. Should be new ones new month.

2 minutes ago, Tell said:

1530 is your last release for November 2020 published late by Skoda but available Seat and VW. See Martini's other thread. Should be new ones new month.

Cool, thanks very much. Mine says 5L0051236H 0521 ECE2016 so clearly out of date!

Just now, Tell said:

Anwer your other question no. Skoda might call it 1520, 1530 will do.

20 hours ago, batemansxxxb said:

You can use a 32GB sdhc card to update the Columbus system, I used a 64gb & it worked fine, it’s the Amundsen system that requires the Skoda card that comes with it

I found the new (2021/2022) update didn't fit on a 32GB card.