Columbus Map Update 2021 (MIB1/2 HIGH)

7 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

no problem with Transcend SDHC 32Gb Class 10

3542514_sa.jpg

Where people deviate from the VW guidance it wont fit on. Suppose to be 4k. Go bigger and it won't fit on. Bought ones untouched are that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am trying to update with 2021 map my Columbus of MY17 Skoda Superb L&C.

It was updated with success not from my side for the previous uptdate 2018,2019,2020 (done perhaps by Skoda dealer)

I tried every thing several SD card, Skoda files, VW files, update via Menu folder, via NAV, via developers menu, I can't succeed.

When I tried to update via developers menu, it says "metainfo can't be read".

Since the last working update is there a new general FW which would block this new update ?

Have you got any trick to overcome this issue ?

Thanks

skoda1.jpg

skoda2.jpg

skoda3.jpg

skoda4.jpg

@guix74 this is going to be something simple. 

The Columbus updates its maps in a different way to the Amunsden. 

The error message "cannot find Metadata" says that the you are presenting the .7z file directly to the MIB2 system, instead of the appropriate folders MIB and MIB2 - which should be the root level of the SD Card.

2 minutes ago, guix74 said:

Hello,

I am trying to update with 2021 map my Columbus of MY17 Skoda Superb L&C.

It was updated with success not from my side for the previous uptdate 2018,2019,2020 (done perhaps by Skoda dealer)

I tried every thing several SD card, Skoda files, VW files, update via Menu folder, via NAV, via developers menu, I can't succeed.

When I tried to update via developers menu, it says "metainfo can't be read".

Since the last working update is there a new general FW which would block this new update ?

Have you got any trick to overcome this issue ?

Thanks

skoda1.jpg

skoda2.jpg

skoda3.jpg

skoda4.jpg

Not using a Mac are you ?.

An integrity check is made on the files for transmission errors and any fiddling within the files. The Mac operating system adds additional rubbish to the files which is why you are suppose to use CleanMydrive and the recommended MAC OS unzipping program, ditto a PC 7zip for unzipping. Other PC unzipping programs can lead to problems.

In the route of media you have the metainfo2.txt file, mib1 and mib2 directories. Attached is the VW guidance. See Mac OS guidance if using a Mac.

If still no success you could always download the files again to the HD. Unzip to the HD with 7 zip if a PC. Then drag and drop to your SD card which is blank. People sometimes manage to get them not in the route. Need to be in the route.

Since its telling you there is a problem with the metainfo2.txt file it means the files are corrupted or not as expected (The Mac question and correct unzipping).

Btw there is a newer release that MartiniB has posted up. 192. 189 was the previous, 187 the one before.

I see another post has come in, I'll post since I don't want to loose my edit :).

Discover_Pro_June_2020_EN.pdf

1 minute ago, varaderoguy said:

The error message "cannot find Metadata" says that the you are presenting the .7z file directly to the MIB2 system, instead of the appropriate folders MIB and MIB2 - which should be the root level of the SD Card.

But that is a Columbus since he's showing 0177 an old Mib2 high release. The Metadata file error means it's failed validation. That's why it can't be read in the normal way since its not being seen as a valid update.

2 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

I correctly unziped the folder to SD card and folders.

MB1, MB2, metainfo2 appeared directly at the mean route of the SD Card.

I don't use a Mac computer.

Others tricks ?

3 hours ago, Tell said:

But that is a Columbus since he's showing 0177 an old Mib2 high release. The Metadata file error means it's failed validation. That's why it can't be read in the normal way since its not being seen as a valid update.

Ok how can I manage to overcome this issue ?

3 minutes ago, guix74 said:

It's a dealer thing. They don't release them.... if you find one on the net they can brick your unit. If they are like Seat ones which they will be there are upgrade paths which you can follow but if you dont you have a problem. Haven't messed with mine.

If it's a genuine fault then a dealer will do it. Users do it if there is some issue like Android Auto being problematic then if the user community finds a reliable one online which is the original and not modded you can if it's designed as a valid upgraded that's straight forward and doesn't require VCDS / ODIS.

Suspect if it's a Mapcare thing around an old unit that got missed out its a dealer thing. Will post my question to the Skoda expert.

1 hour ago, varaderoguy said:

You need to get the latest firmware from your Skoda dealer.  They can either do it, or you can see if there is a new version of firmware available to download at https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/

Is that because earlier versions were operating some form of Mapcare which needs to be corrected or put another way never had Mapcare removed when VW and Skoda abandoned it. I know in Australia some VW units were shipped without Mapcare e.g. with fixed Mapcare on the build date so couldn t upgrade. People could go to dealers to get that fixed circa 2015.

Mapcare operates by either having the navigation FeC set to the build date (quarter) so you dont effectively have it. With Mapcare but within period (future quarter of a specified year) or out of period, passed the valid quarter. Skoda FeC tables I've seen on mib2.5 didn't have a navigation FeC so concluded it was completely deleted from recent Skoda unit so that check isn't made. Audi and Seat mib2 runs with Mapcare, wasn't abandoned.

Are there some Skoda mib2 highs (Columbus) that have Mapcare implemented on them which leads to user grief which slipped into a time period before Skoda abandoned Mapcare ?.

Edited by Tell

12 minutes ago, Tell said:

It's a dealer thing. They don't release them.... if you find one on the net they can brick your unit. If they are like Seat ones which they will be there are upgrade paths which you can follow but if you dont you have a problem. Haven't messed with mine.

If it's a genuine fault then a dealer will do it. Users do it if there is some issue like Android Auto being problematic then if the user community finds a reliable one online which is the original and not modded you can if it's designed as a valid upgraded that's straight forward and doesn't require VCDS / ODIS.

Suspect if it's a Mapcare thing around an old unit that got missed out its a dealer thing. Will post my question to the Skoda expert.

Thanks for your advice.

I stop to try updating my Columbus till I get new reliable information

Potentially - the euro-market is different, so as far as I was aware - unless you had a REALLY old MIB unit, all maps were upgradable.  My logic is that there is a bug in the firmware which is stopping the units from accepting updated maps.

43 minutes ago, guix74 said:

My Columbus was updated 4 times from new in 2017 by the previous owner

skoda5.jpg

Skoda dealer might have been using ODIS rather than popping map cards in it. Frigging some setting in the unit which also closed it off to you.

I'd agree a firmware update might be the solution.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2021 at 14:26, guix74 said:

My Columbus was updated 4 times from new in 2017 by the previous owner

skoda5.jpg

I have downloaded 189 maps a few weeks ago but am interested in seeing what maps have previously been downloaded like guix74. How do I find this menu, I have checked the settings and read the manual with no luck. Thanks

18 minutes ago, Jonboy984 said:

I have downloaded 189 maps a few weeks ago but am interested in seeing what maps have previously been downloaded like guix74. How do I find this menu, I have checked the settings and read the manual with no luck. Thanks

Try holding the menu button for a short period then you may see a top menu that says software upgrade / versions. It's on there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tell said:

Try holding the menu button for a short period then you may see a top menu that says software upgrade / versions. It's on there.

Perfect, thank you :thumbup:

• Like 1

Hello, 

I've downloaded ECE map for Skoda. I have O3 2014. I've extracted the file onto my hard disk (NTFS) and then copied it on Samsung Class 10 U3 64 GB SD card formatted in exFAT 128 kB. Car doesn't see any data at all, though it see the SD card. 

Through unzipping process I have 50 errors. Is it normal? What can I do differently? 

42 minutes ago, ChrisO3 said:

This is my car info:

5E0035874A seems to be an MIB1 Amundsen.

This thread is for the Columbus so you might want to try the maps here: 

You'll also need to use an appropriate Skoda/VW SD card :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I followed the instructions to the letter.

downloaded the zipped file, unzipped it and copied all 3 folders to a 64Gb SD card formatted to exFAT.

in sorted it in slot 1 on the Columbus and started the update.

I had to turn the car off to go into work, but it kept on updating with the ignition off and the car locked.

6 1/2 hours!!! later all done, although it showed an upload error message, all the country maps have updated to 2021.

result.

45 minutes ago, CFB said:

Well I followed the instructions to the letter.

downloaded the zipped file, unzipped it and copied all 3 folders to a 64Gb SD card formatted to exFAT.

in sorted it in slot 1 on the Columbus and started the update.

I had to turn the car off to go into work, but it kept on updating with the ignition off and the car locked.

6 1/2 hours!!! later all done, although it showed an upload error message, all the country maps have updated to 2021.

result.

An alternative way is to enable the developers menu via Obdeleven or VCDS etc which gives you the backdoor into the system. Having enabled the developers menu, a long press on the menu button opens up a second one which has SWDL on it. Press the top button on that, then second one down, that opens up what's on the SD card. Stroke down and should see Ys against the map attributes. You start it off, takes about 40 minutes. Trigger with the engine off and you have to open the door every 15 minutes to keep the unit powered up. I tend to wander in and come back out to the car during the process. Timing the visits.... gets the job done. I've never done it in the background.

(3 folders ?... metainfo2.txt file plus mib1 and mib2, one file, two folders ;))

Well done.