Columbus Map Update 2021 (MIB1/2 HIGH)

11 hours ago, MartiniB said:

show maps version info

for Mib2H can be used even USB flash

You said that before but then it's not recommended by VAG... if you keep to the VW spec there isn't an issue, deviate from that then problems arise.

11 hours ago, xman said:

I've never had an issue with updating Columbus MIB2.5 on my MY18 Superb

I use one of the many genuine Kingston 32gb micro sd plus adapter cards I have laying about and using Windows 10.

There used to be a problem years ago of many fake cards around, particularly from EBay, Amazon etc. doctored to report 32gb or 64gb when it was a 2gb or reject card and I indeed did somehow end up with one. You won't normally see any evidence of this on your computer, only when you try to access data and it can't be found,

This free tool will check if your card is really what it claims to be

https://h2testw.en.lo4d.com/windows

Some older card readers/writers will only support up to 32gb (sdhc), so be aware of that possibility. (I use a £3 USB adaptor/card reader in my computer)

When I come to update the car, I don't turn on the ignition. But I do connect my battery charger, just in case, but it shouldn't be necessary.

I put the sd card in its full size adaptor into sd1 slot, making sure its fully clicked home. Turn on columbus, press menu, settings (on second page) and scroll/find the update option (can't remember exactly where). It takes perhaps 30-60 seconds before the update is found. I just press update and away it goes, approx 30-45mins to finish.

A couple of times it has come back and said "update not found", so I just turn off Columbus using the hard reset by pressing the power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and repeat the previous paragraph and so far always works.

I download from the Skoda portal using my vin, but I have also checked the vw download links posted and can confirm the map data is exactly the same, although one is packed in Zip format while the other is in 7z format, which may require you to install 7-zip software (free)

There are still fake cards about. Had a fake microSD about a year ago. Amazon Marketplace trader... Googled it and it met the spec of the printing and edge. Returned back to Amazon and got my money back. 128gb card for a tablet. Targeted by Chinese manufacturers that frig the Fat table of lesser cards and label and package them up as Sandisk.

Great info.

Fingers crossed.

The unit could have been fussy about the bus speed on the card, ditto the issue that some people have with USB drives when they ignore the VW guidance. The units are like Linux media boxes, touchy when updating them, they aren't computers as such and this is where people have issues treating them as if they are fully specced PCs throwing formats at them found on PCs etc plus the full validation that the units runs before importing the files. That's where it traps Mac users not following the guidance and those that wish to ignore 7zip on a PC (some get away with that). Then you get the bragging of short cuts which dont help if they are not universal. 

Well I received the 32gb card today, went through the same process & still no joy, it’s still coming up with the error message, so I’ll be ringing the dealership tomorrow to see what they can do

You didnt just copy or download the zip file to the SD card? Thats wrong. You download to your PC hard drive and then unzip to the SD card

The root folder of your sd card should look like this...

1628900206_Screenshot(2).png.9f249039298cadddd1544260d4e34208.png

hmm sometimes the German Seat forum moans about incorrect downloads on the VW site, you try this one:

https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/navigation/ateca-navi-system-plus.html

that's  the 189 download just in case the other one is messed up.

Other than that it must be your card writer or Skoda successfully messed up your FeCs on that unit.

if you draw a blank with the Skoda dealer you need a decent retrofitter to sort it out if you want to pay to sort it out (Yorkshire on the coast know what they are doing). You did seem to be going into the back end menu with the SWDL command which should be prohibited in a MIB2 high. That's only enabled via VCDS, the long menu press and two screens open up to give the SWDL command. Mib1 wasn't protected against users doing stuff in the backend. 

Skoda's are suppose to have a lifetimes guarantee of map updates unlike Seat's that need the navigation FeC adjusted to give the same effect.

This is what’s extracted & the mib 1/2 files & meta info txt are in this folder

i used the link in the 1st post for Skoda this time, not tested it yet, I’ll give it a go in the morning 

as far as the dealer fixing the nav if there’s a problem, I far as I see it they’re obligated to do so, the car is still under warranty for a few months yet & the approved used warranty covers me for 2 yrs  inc the remaining months of the 3yr

image.thumb.jpeg.7c70e5baacac07df0d1d5102ab7497da.jpeg

Edited by batemansxxxb

2 minutes ago, batemansxxxb said:

This is what’s extracted & the mib 1/2 files & meta info txt are in this folder

image.thumb.jpeg.7c70e5baacac07df0d1d5102ab7497da.jpeg

That's goes unzipped via 7zip onto the card as per Xman's image above. Nothing else on the SD card except the mib1, mib2 and metafile in the route, not one level down. 

Should have read sometimes the German Skoda site when I gave the Seat link.  ...

This one if it comes up...

page-142

Failing that and everything else it will be the firmware release in the unit. Using the "scientific method" you need to find someone who's done it on your firmware release to eliminate that one. The unit has a series hardware release which is checked against the map update, if the hardware isn't recognised it would give the same effect. It's not unknown that the unit's Id isnt in the meta file. That's a steering macro for the update. Checks whether the unit it's seeing tallies with what it's expecting. A duff release of the infotainment firmware might have got this wrong. You could request your dealer updates the infotainment firmware to the most recent. Normally firmware updates are not done as a matter ofcourse only engine management ones. Make them work.

This may sound dumb, the folder shouldn’t be there ? 

so do I cut & paste the mib files & metadata & Ditch this folder? If that’s the case it looks like this has been the problem all along

Edited by batemansxxxb

19 minutes ago, batemansxxxb said:

This may sound dumb, the folder shouldn’t be there ? 

so do I cut & paste the mib files & metadata & Ditch this folder? If that’s the case it looks like this has been the problem all along

On your SD card on your computer it should look like this after unzipping in 7zip. "I"is my SD drive, yours may be something else.

Screenshot_20210407-222826.png

Right I think I get it now, the unzipped file includes the extra folder, which has to be ditched, so it looks like that was the reason the car couldn’t read the files,I’ll go back & paste the mob etc to my pc & re format the card to get rid of the folder, then paste the mob files & meta data back to the card 

im used to the amundsen updates from Skoda which self extracted without these problems

Edited by batemansxxxb

You drag and drop those three items out of 7zip onto your HD then drag and drop them onto a clean blank SD card from the HD. That's faster than dropping them directly from 7zip onto the SD card.

It's open archive on the right clip of the mouse on 7zip to see what's in it. Then drag the three items to your HD, then from the HD drag them to a nice clean 32gb, SD card with the spec:).... hopefully that's it.

• Thanks 1

No need to paste back to your pc. Just edit the sd card

With the sd card on your pc,  open the high12.....folder on the sd card containing mib1, mib2 sub folders and metainfo2.txt, cut and paste the 3 items  back to the root directory of the sd card, you can then delete the (now empty) high12_p189.... folder.

Much faster as all that needs to be done is a directory reshuffle taking a few seconds.

Edited by xman
  • Thanks 1

Too late I’m afraid, I did think of that, but wasn’t sure if it would work, so the files are currently being transferred to the pc, then I’ll re format the card & paste the 3 files back to the card....the scenic route I know 😏

Thanks  for all your help guys 😁

It  wasn’t clear in the first post  that you had only to put the 3 files on the card,.

9 hours ago, xman said:

No need to paste back to your pc. Just edit the sd card

With the sd card on your pc,  open the high12.....folder on the sd card containing mib1, mib2 sub folders and metainfo2.txt, cut and paste the 3 items  back to the root directory of the sd card, you can then delete the (now empty) high12_p189.... folder.

Much faster as all that needs to be done is a directory reshuffle taking a few seconds.

We unpack to the HD first since its faster else you can get (or may get) a lot of bus activity between the drive and the SD card as it slowly unzips checking what its done, what it's going to do with a very slow teansfer speed. It gets there in the end but faster if you just unzip to the HD (or SSD) then do a straight forward copy to the SD card.

That's the traditional recommended way of doing it although if the SD writer / reader is on the motherboard in a laptop or a USB3 dongle the speed improvement may be reduced. Try both ways. 

I then keep a copy of the unzipped release on the PC and delete the download. The trusty HP Pavillion that I use is 10 years old but did relegate the hard disk and put an SSD in a few years back on a USB3 card. The card reader / writer isn't on the motherboard and is part of a USB2 internal connection (doesn't have the benefits of USB3 ). i5 processor. Use USB3 to back up the HD via a card. 

My careful approach of always keeping a back up of the map files to cover the current release and the last release just in case one wants to go back.... not that I always keep every download from the year dot of software in the download area, has it's uses. Never delete an email :). Contain release product codes etc. 

Success!!!😄.  Updated this afternoon, using the 64gb sdxc  as soon as I put the card into the reader it came up update available & took about 40 mins 

Edited by batemansxxxb
  • Like 1

On 04/04/2021 at 18:49, Nimby said:

Is there no way to edit the download so you can just update your home country? That would only take a few minutes to install.

I'm pretty sure I won't be taking my car outside the UK for at least another one or two map cycles, so I really don't need the latest maps of everywhere else in Europe.

I forgot that if you are really intent on not loading up all of Europe you can use the developers menu and pick out countries. Use to pick out Iceland as the test country when I trying to update a Seat with pesky mapcare.... Iceland loads in about two minutes, not many roads so was a good fast test.

Saying that you need to have the developers menu enabled on a mib2 high. That's via VCDS tools then use the backend SWDL command (Obdeleven will do it). Navdb entity is the one where you pick off which countries to update. Writes over the region so you have a mix or old and new maps in the system.

As said there is no way of editing the input but you can control the upload via the backend menu. Don't think it's worth the sweat thou to save 25 minutes every six months. The maps were designed for driving across Europe even thou we aren't now with Coronavirus and Brexit. Mib3 they update over the air on a module basis so invisible to the user.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from Australia!

I've been on the hunt online for over a week now trying to work out how to update my maps. I just purchased a MY15.5 Skoda Octavia vRS from the original owner (who didnt even know what an sdcard was, so assuming this system hasnt been updated at all). I've tried multiple updates (high12_p88_row_202022 & high12_p90_mrm_202045) with multiple sdcards (64gb pro, 64gb, 32gb extreme) and a 64gb usb drive. all either formated to exFat (64gb options) and fat32 (32gb sd) (i also tried ntfs with the 64gb drive) - all extracted to the media directly from the zip files. ive been going in via NAV - setup - version Info - update, and i keep getting the error as below.

pics attached are of the Columbus system, map version and the error i keep getting.

Does the system info image show what version of Columbus i have? mib1?mib2?

Do i need to update the firmware before updating to these newer map updates?

post update message 2.jpg

system info.jpg

nav version.jpg

@Rednut

looks like Mib2 High, but i can be wrong.

another guess, not all regions have got enabled life time updates,

like Audi and Seat owners can upload updates just first few years

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/resources/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-lost-mib1-card-solution.60/

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/ready-reckoner-on-the-limits-of-mib2-high-plus-updates-can-be-made.457561/

p.s.

try copy files from SD card back to PC and compare content,

there are couple of cases when fake SD cards are declared as big size while they are lot smaller