Lane assist frequent faults

cvennall

Is anyone else having frequent lane assist errors? My Kamiq has done about 6k miles since I picked it up in January. It is now back in the garage for the 3rd time for attention to the lane assist system.  It has been re-calibrated at least once and has had the emergency telephone re-call done.

Now, I am not a fan of the system as installed in this car. I think it is far too intrusive, lacks accuracy on single track and narrow roads and  cannot recognise when straightening a series of bends in a road so I switch it off on start-up and do not use it in normal driving. That being said, the car has given me Lane assist faults at regular intervals, sometimes switching on and off clears it but the most recent fault has been "Lane Assist Unavailable" which has not cleared.

After consultation with Skoda UK the garage is about to replace the radar unit in the grill even though I thought the system was run though the camera.

The dealer has twice given me a Kamiq as a courtesy car (the same one on both occasions) and I have seen the same error appear on its dashboard and cleared it by re-starting.

So, I have experience of 2 Kamiqs, both have lane assist errors. What I would like to know is if this is a common fault that others have or am I just being unlucky. Or, does constantly switching the system off create the error?

Over to you..

I completed a Contact Form for European NCAP some time ago to point out that they had given a 5 star rating to a vehicle with a potentially dangerous automatic system and that I had seen claims that this was done at their insistance. I said this was based on personal experience and not just hearsay. They should be improving car safety not encouraging the introduction of potential hazards.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same issue. The red warning comes on and it is always at the same place as I am driving home. Only had come on once in a different area. I am going to take it to the dealer to see if it has logged a fault.

Well have had my new car for a couple of weeks ago.  I have to say I don't find the Lane assist to be that intrusive.  It's also easy to turn off.  I'm wondering if, being a new car, it'e been tweaked to update it.  It does tug you back into lane but its not as fierce as some people seem to be saying it is.

• Like 2

They really are an eye opener and do seem to make drivers aware of just how often their attention might wander and  they are wandering about their lane or side of the road usually.

If the driver thinks about this they will maybe get an idea to what they usually look like to drivers following them. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

I've test driven two different Kamiq's (1.0l SE with 6spd and SEL with DSG 7spd) in October 2020 and haven't experienced any issues with the Lane Assist feature. I don't find it intrusive whatsoever - just a neat feature that can help especially on longer journeys.

So in terms of these errors and faults... perhaps it's down to the particular builds or like previously mentioned above, they may have updated the radar and/or the software/firmware to compensate this?

The Dealer would defiantly have to investigate with this further. 

Edited by TheSavageKamiq

On 07/12/2020 at 12:21, ayrshiredude said:

Well have had my new car for a couple of weeks ago.  I have to say I don't find the Lane assist to be that intrusive.  It's also easy to turn off.  I'm wondering if, being a new car, it'e been tweaked to update it.  It does tug you back into lane but its not as fierce as some people seem to be saying it is.

Have to agree, a slight nudge on the steering wheel as a reminder that your lane position is being gently corrected.

Two taps on the steering wheel make turning off/on an easy operation if, as I do, you need to travel on narrow roads.

When indicators have been used then the system is temporarily disabled so driving on dual lane roads/motorways is unaffected.

It has its uses but can be annoying at times. Driving down a narrow country lane here in NZ it went mental so had to turn it off. Too bad the car didn't remember I had switched it off the next time I drove it.

From the lack of responses, mine must have been an isolated fault. Dealer had it back, replaced the camera and all has been well over the past couple of weeks, so it seems the problem is solved.

Still don't like or want lane assist, but turning it off every time I start the car has become routine.

• 2 months later...
On 20/11/2020 at 15:11, cvennall said:

Is anyone else having frequent lane assist errors? My Kamiq has done about 6k miles since I picked it up in January. It is now back in the garage for the 3rd time for attention to the lane assist system.  It has been re-calibrated at least once and has had the emergency telephone re-call done.

Now, I am not a fan of the system as installed in this car. I think it is far too intrusive, lacks accuracy on single track and narrow roads and  cannot recognise when straightening a series of bends in a road so I switch it off on start-up and do not use it in normal driving. That being said, the car has given me Lane assist faults at regular intervals, sometimes switching on and off clears it but the most recent fault has been "Lane Assist Unavailable" which has not cleared.

After consultation with Skoda UK the garage is about to replace the radar unit in the grill even though I thought the system was run though the camera.

The dealer has twice given me a Kamiq as a courtesy car (the same one on both occasions) and I have seen the same error appear on its dashboard and cleared it by re-starting.

So, I have experience of 2 Kamiqs, both have lane assist errors. What I would like to know is if this is a common fault that others have or am I just being unlucky. Or, does constantly switching the system off create the error?

Over to you..

Yes, I have got used to it, happens often, unavailable til the next startup. On driving on minor country roads I definitely switch it off as it's dangerous  then. This car has a few other undesirable features which are maddening if not just laughable at times.

The lane assist certainly takes a little getting use to.  We have it on the Octavia and also on my new Kamiq.  Is there various sensitivity settings ?  I don’t drive the Octavia much and can’t recall it being as touchy as in the Kamiq.  It is a good steady reminder if you do run over a line, BUT here in North Devon with narrow roads and all them pot holes we all have to slalom around ????

5 hours ago, Northam said:

The lane assist certainly takes a little getting use to.  We have it on the Octavia and also on my new Kamiq.  Is there various sensitivity settings ?  I don’t drive the Octavia much and can’t recall it being as touchy as in the Kamiq.  It is a good steady reminder if you do run over a line, BUT here in North Devon with narrow roads and all them pot holes we all have to slalom around ????

I dont think there are any adjustments to be made. I too had an Octavia without all these issues and regret not sticking with it. Yes Octavia also had lane assist but less troublesome.

• Like 1

Ive had it occasionally decide to yank left or right in the city. Not had any serious issues on motorways. More likely to save me than cause anything.

Sorry can i ask a separate question? Which dealer are you using? I would like a Kamiq as a courtesy car!

My dealer is in central Scotland... 

as a further update, since I had the camera changed there have been no faults with the system. Then again, I haven’t driven it much due to lockdown.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a 1.0TSI DSG SE loaner today whilst my Octavia 1.4TSI is in. Lane assist is I think dangerous and unnecessary. On a couple of occasions on the motorway, lorries have a habit of drifting as they did today, obviously you steer away from the drifting lorry on your left, but lane assist kicked in forcing me towards the lorry that had drifted across the left white line. Indicating is the only way to stop it, but who indicates to avoid a potential incident.

On 20/11/2020 at 15:11, cvennall said:

Over to you..

Yes I have the same experience even though I dont bother to switch it off.  It regularly says system unavailable but then it is back on at the next start. It's all crazy, that and the other bizarre nonsense. It must be coming from some directive of a certain authority.  Simply not clever !

No matter on anyone's opinion on Lane Keeping Assist being un-necessary it is away to be compulsory to be on new cars along with other features.

So people that do not like it or want it will need to keep switching it off, and if it is faulty keep reporting that to the manufacturers.

8 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

No matter on anyone's opinion on Lane Keeping Assist being un-necessary it is away to be compulsory to be on new cars along with other features.

So people that do not like it or want it will need to keep switching it off, and if it is faulty keep reporting that to the manufacturers.

Yes that  is correct, most people understand these features or similar are incorporated in other new  vehicles.  However the safety aspect of some is questionable and so the general opinion is important

@melbury  Personally i have not driven a car with Lane Keep Assist that i have had to turn off and i have driven a few with it including VW group cars and that is usually on back country roads.

I never even switched it off on my daily driver during the snow and icy conditions.

Some seem to be very questionable as members here are reporting and others on social media.

• 1 month later...

I have lane assist and like to choose a line (when it is safe to do so)

the only response I have experienced to crossing a line is a slight

tensioning of the steering, a little like screwing down a motorcycle

steering damper.

1 hour ago, gumdrop said:

I have lane assist and like to choose a line (when it is safe to do so)

the only response I have experienced to crossing a line is a slight

tensioning of the steering, a little like screwing down a motorcycle

steering damper.

Indicate it turns lane assist off 

On 16/03/2021 at 05:18, e-Roottoot said:

You are correct in what you say, but just a thought for everyone.

I get wrong for thinking like George Orwell’s 1984 but as the Kamiq has its own Sim card will there ever be a time when that is used to log all your driving and in the case of an accident be used in evidence of the crash, pretty much as dash cam footage is being used and asked for by the police “So Mr Smith it appearers that your Lane Assist was turned off how do you plead “

Maybe better to get used to the system and not fight it (just do a lot of indicator use)

• Like 1

On 09/05/2021 at 10:54, F0ster said:

You are correct in what you say, but just a thought for everyone.

I get wrong for thinking like George Orwell’s 1984 but as the Kamiq has its own Sim card will there ever be a time when that is used to log all your driving and in the case of an accident be used in evidence of the crash, pretty much as dash cam footage is being used and asked for by the police “So Mr Smith it appearers that your Lane Assist was turned off how do you plead “

Maybe better to get used to the system and not fight it (just do a lot of indicator use)

Yes it's easy to work with it you become accustomed to it after a while and it does ensure you use the indicators.  

• Like 1