Tyre pressure

Hi chaps just an observation the tyre pressure monitoring system will only tell you you if you have a rapidly deflating tyre major blow out or a big nail that has accepted through the wall of the tyre uh am I right in thinking that normal air seepage which happens over the course of a month or two two is not picked up by the system just wondered am I more or less in the ballpark I thought the system told you if it went down by two or 3 PSI immediately obviously it's only there for major problems thank you for feedback

Sounds about right- it’s only a passive detection system, which uses the ABS sensor to monitor the circumference of the wheel. That’ll be why it only alerts to ‘major’ issues like severe underinflation, nails, blow outs etc. 👍

Not sure if you can get an active monitoring system on any ŠKODA models, it’s  likely just to be on Audi, Porche etc. above unfortunately. 

Despite some criticisms levelled at the system, I have always found on my MkII and MkIII Octavia that it is pretty accurate, I.e. if it alarms, then there is a need to check.It's alerted me to hard to find sunken embedded nails and slow leaks caused by old alloys. 

Not really on all 4 wheels. but it will on the odd 1 or 2.

All 4 need to go silly lower before an alert, but then every car is not the same and XL or run flat tyres can go rather low compared to when set to get a warning.

Easy to check, just go outside and let each of your tyres down by 5 PSI then go drive.

During the summer heatwave in 2019 I adjusted my tyre pressures to be correct as the hear had made them all increase. When the heatwave came to an end we got about 8 miles from home when the TPMS warning came on so we pulled over and on checking the pressures ALL FOUR tyres were between 2 and 2.5PSI low, so I pumped them up and reset the TPMS.

Passive TPMS software has come a long way from just comparing rotational speed only, it also takes into account underlying frequency patterns by doing a Fourier analysis of the patterns from the wheel speed sensors.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gumby said:

Sounds about right- it’s only a passive detection system, which uses the ABS sensor to monitor the circumference of the wheel. That’ll be why it only alerts to ‘major’ issues like severe underinflation, nails, blow outs etc. 👍

Not sure if you can get an active monitoring system on any ŠKODA models, it’s  likely just to be on Audi, Porche etc. above unfortunately. 

That is certainly not my experience.  In the past two weeks I have had both a slow puncture (bloody blackthorn - it's evil stuff) and a leaking valve on separate wheels. In both cases it was the TPMS that alerted me and when I checked pressures, on each occasion the tyre was down by some 3-4lbs - so the system seems quite sensitive in my view.

Conversely, in the Spring I had an instant blowout after hitting a big pot-hole and there was nary a peep from the TPMS.  Go figure!  I suppose it was because I stopped instantly before the ABS sensor had a chance to re-act.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lastgasp said:

Conversely, in the Spring I had an instant blowout after hitting a big pot-hole and there was nary a peep from the TPMS.  Go figure!  I suppose it was because I stopped instantly before the ABS sensor had a chance to re-act.

The few times i had it go off seemed to be roughly the same distance from home, roughly a mile - I assumed it must need to travel a certain distance or monitor for a certain amount of time before alerting.  Only exception was having 4 new tyres and garage didn't reset TPMS and I got almost 50 miles before it alerted - no issues so put it down to wheel speed values not matching stored values.  I did check all tyres, pressures were correct so reset and job done.

I'd advocate that the tpms on vw group cars is very good. Probably saved me from a high speed blowout on my 2005 Seat Altea. Frosty morning one day it went off so i pulled off asap. The wheel was boiling hot due to a frozen /dragging rear brake caliper.  it clearly sensed a different rotational speed. 

Edited by paulski

On 08/12/2020 at 20:49, lastgasp said:

That is certainly not my experience.  In the past two weeks I have had both a slow puncture (bloody blackthorn - it's evil stuff) and a leaking valve on separate wheels. In both cases it was the TPMS that alerted me and when I checked pressures, on each occasion the tyre was down by some 3-4lbs - so the system seems quite sensitive in my view.

Thanks lot🤓

Thanks a lot:nerd:

U can upgraded to active monitor tpms, u need 4sensors and antena that u connect to mib and power source...

And afc u need to code it..

U can search online, some ppl done it in their golfs and leons...