MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure

Jelugs

I think Skoda need to revisit the Amundsen software and issue a 'free' update either OTA, USB C or garage appointment.

Quite how it took such a backward turn from previous satnav devices (Columbus and older Gen 2 Amundsen) is a big question.

Even looking at favourite POIs lists the entries in German.

Having worked in an IT environment all my life, I am amazed that such a digs dinner of a product actually made it through a proper test process before formal release.

At a minimum, Skoda/VAg should, in my humble opinion;

1. Allow map and system updates to be recognised on the main USB C socket. This socket already recognises Android auto and music connections so that should not be too challenging.

2. Fix the post code issue where all destinations are map coordinates shown as 'off road'.

3. Allow an option to install a personal data sim. For the casual user, a couple of hundred MB a month suffice for the additional traffic info and I use EE sims that are £24 for 12 months with 500MB a month. Skoda with their partner want to charge you £9.99 for 30 days on top of the annual subscription for Connect Services. Yes, I know you can use your own mobile as a wifi hot spot but that is not exactly friendly for a non-tech user.

4. Skoda acknowledged that although you can have additional 'users' registered in the car, the Connect App will only work with one car!

6. I am considering buying a small 12v mobile hotspot such as the Huawei E5576 (Amazon £42) and a 12 month data sim like I have for my Kodiaq from EE (EBS Telecoms on Amazon)

What is most disappointing is that the test drive which sold us on the Karoq had the Gen 2 system which was streets ahead of this new version.

I hope Skoda/VAG come up with a solution and do not simply abandon us as we have now purchased the car. I know that on my Kodiaq there had been updates to the Columbus which Skoda refused to update as the changes were not considered 'mandatory' but luckily I had some issues with the connectivity and another garage updated the complete system,

I will watch this thread evolve with interest!

A similar thread is also running? 

Note: I have no affiliation with EBS telecoms or Huawei other than having used their products.

29 minutes ago, stewartv said:

3. Allow an option to install a personal data sim. For the casual user, a couple of hundred MB a month suffice for the additional traffic info and I use EE sims that are £24 for 12 months with 500MB a month. Skoda with their partner want to charge you £9.99 for 30 days on top of the annual subscription for Connect Services. Yes, I know you can use your own mobile as a wifi hot spot but that is not exactly friendly for a non-tech user.

I have sympathy with much of your post, but for MY21 cars (at least for the first year) there is no user charge for the data connection to the inbuilt e-Sim. And the only charge I can see to renew the Infotainment Online service after the first year seems to be €70 per annum (or €49 when it is on a special offer.)

Chris 

55 minutes ago, CJJE said:

....but for MY21 cars (at least for the first year) there is no user charge for the data.

Chris 

Thanks for that. I had mistakenly taken the free 30 days they previously offered with the voda sim as the allowance. At least OTA upgrades can now be downloaded assuming they address the issues and actually offer the updates as 'optional' and not just the mandatory updates. 

On 19/12/2020 at 14:33, CJJE said:

Don't be too dismissive! I've had two phone calls from a Skoda UK technical support guy about the missing radio logos, from the radio and update file, and about how you can persuade the MIB3 Amundsen to read the file. But even he had to admit defeat and say all he could do was to refer the problem back to Skoda HQ!

Well I am a bit dismissive, please all you guys read this transcript of my chat a while ago...as stated I gave up. A supeSkoda rubbish transcript.docrb car soured by rubbish customer service

55 minutes ago, Jelugs said:

Well I am a bit dismissive, please all you guys read this transcript of my chat a while ago...as stated I gave up. A supeSkoda rubbish transcript.docrb car soured by rubbish customer service

As I said, I was passed on to a technical support guy, not a customer service agent who can only read answers off a computer screen in front of her. 

But even he had to admit he hasn't been trained up on the new MIB3 systems!

But interestingly I've since discovered a webpage at www.radiodns.org that explains a bit more. This organisation is leading a development of 'Hybrid Radios' which merge FM, DAB+ and the internet, and they say it already built into connected vehicles from Audi, VW Porsche and BMW. (I'd suggest Skoda are also now on this list.) I've been chasing up why we have missing radio logos, and it appears that the new radios do rely on the broadcasters transmitting the logos either via the internet or the DAB signal for the radios to see them and store them internally. So despite Skoda's Update Portal it looks like we won't get the missing ones until the individual radio stations start providing them. In other words we need to chase Classic FM, Smooth etc and not Skoda. 

To update the entire European maps over the internet link would take a long time I'd think, so I can see why the radio will only update your local maps. But how will you know when it's doing that? The database ID will need to be a hybrid between the 19.11 mine is showing and the new ECE 2020/2021 ID. 

Chris

Just had a phone back from a new Skoda UK technical support guy (about three issues I had flagged to them - missing radio logos, no web radio, and updating the maps). They are now suggesting that the data allowance on my built-in eSim is preventing the list of web radio stations downloading. So I asked how it would cope with updating the maps. His default reply was to say we had to download it onto an SD card! So I updated him on MIB3 systems not having any, and that plugging a USB stick in had no effect. He's gone away to escalate it again. 

I've also written to the Head of Customer Services Skoda UK, as it would now seem that if the data allowance is stopping me seeing web radio stations or updating maps online, they are advertising features they cannot provide!

Chris  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Merlinman said:

Bet that conversation has 'escalated' your confidence in Skoda UK's Call centre's competence?  :D

Seasons greetings!  :party:

That wasn't the call centre... that was a guy in Multi-media support who'd been asked by my previous contact to see how I was doing. I think he's wishing he had asked more questions about the problems before phoning me now! 

Chris :party:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Merlinman said:

Bet that conversation has 'escalated' your confidence in Skoda UK's Call centre's competence?  :D

Seasons greetings to you all firstly!!

I am in the process of composing a detailed snail mail letter to the head of Customer Services ( I think it is someone called maxine jenning but will check for certain later) regarding the dreadful customer service and lack of information we all seem to be experiencing regarding, in particular around the MIB3 Sat nav. I would like to think that, if they were really on top of their job, then they would peruse the Briskoda Forums for issues that they should perhaps be taking a detailed interest in, but maybe i am being too optomistic!!!

When i think about it, when i was looking round for a new car five months ago,( considering VW, Peugeot,Seat and Skoda,) I e-mailed customer service with a question about the Karoq and never got an answer, not a great start! I have another question outstanding as yet un answered! This is all such a shame as I am delighted with the car itself, cant say the same for Customer relations!!!!

I intend to the send the letter after the holidays and when ( and If  !!!) I get a reply, if there is anything meaningful in it, I will post the relevant info here inthe Forum.

If any more of you can be bothered i dont think a deluge of letters to Customer Services would do any harm at all.

Regards

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

Just had a phone back from a new Skoda UK technical support guy (about three issues I had flagged to them - missing radio logos, no web radio, and updating the maps). They are now suggesting that the data allowance on my built-in eSim is preventing the list of web radio stations downloading. So I asked how it would cope with updating the maps. His default reply was to say we had to download it onto an SD card! So I updated him on MIB3 systems not having any, and that plugging a USB stick in had no effect. He's gone away to escalate it again. 

I've also written to the Head of Customer Services Skoda UK, as it would now seem that if the data allowance is stopping me seeing web radio stations or updating maps online, they are advertising features they cannot provide!

Chris  

Hi Chris,

what name do you have for head of Customer Service so i can use it in my letter?

Thanks Best Wishes

Eric

7 minutes ago, Jelugs said:

Hi Chris,

what name do you have for head of Customer Service so i can use it in my letter?

Thanks Best Wishes

Eric

1 hour ago, Merlinman said:

Hi Eric, (for some reason 2 quotes have been picked up automatically!)

I just sent my letter to: "The Head of Customer Services, Skoda UK, Brunswick Court, Yeomans Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes MK14 5LR"

Chris

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

Hi Eric, (for some reason 2 quotes have been picked up automatically!)

I just sent my letter to: "The Head of Customer Services, Skoda UK, Brunswick Court, Yeomans Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes MK14 5LR"

Chris

Thanks for that address at least, I might still pursue the name but that is a good starting point. I will post any relevant info I get???? so we can all digest

All the best

Eric

In the interests of my sanity and blood pressure, I bought a top-of-the-range Tomtom and an extra mount so that we could swap the device between my Karoq and my wife's car - a B-max with an archaic built-in satnav. The Tomtom downloads new map releases every 3 months or so via wifi; it also leaves the Karoq's infotainment screen free for all the other distractions.

39 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

In the interests of my sanity and blood pressure, I bought a top-of-the-range Tomtom and an extra mount so that we could swap the device between my Karoq and my wife's car - a B-max with an archaic built-in satnav. The Tomtom downloads new map releases every 3 months or so via wifi; it also leaves the Karoq's infotainment screen free for all the other distractions.

Merry Christmas!!  Well i had similar thoughts, in my previous VW i had a "bolt on" Garmin NUVI which i thought was excellent and free lifetimes updates etc. When i got the Karoq i thought i would then put the Garmin on EBay as it wouldnt be needed??? I gave myself time to reflect on it...and glad i did! I am holding on to the Garmin for a while yet to see if anything is sorted out by Skoda on the MY21 sat navs. It may not be time yet to dump it!!!

On 24/12/2020 at 16:31, Jelugs said:

Seasons greetings to you all firstly!!

I am in the process of composing a detailed snail mail letter to the head of Customer Services ( I think it is someone called maxine jenning but will check for certain later) regarding the dreadful customer service and lack of information we all seem to be experiencing regarding, in particular around the MIB3 Sat nav. I would like to think that, if they were really on top of their job, then they would peruse the Briskoda Forums for issues that they should perhaps be taking a detailed interest in, but maybe i am being too optomistic!!!

When i think about it, when i was looking round for a new car five months ago,( considering VW, Peugeot,Seat and Skoda,) I e-mailed customer service with a question about the Karoq and never got an answer, not a great start! I have another question outstanding as yet un answered! This is all such a shame as I am delighted with the car itself, cant say the same for Customer relations!!!!

I intend to the send the letter after the holidays and when ( and If  !!!) I get a reply, if there is anything meaningful in it, I will post the relevant info here inthe Forum.

If any more of you can be bothered i dont think a deluge of letters to Customer Services would do any harm at all.

Regards

This is excellent and thanks for that....I agree it`s a shame that you go to their update portal and still showing based on your VIN that you have to use an SD-card to update your maps...CRAZY...if it would be just a general message, ok **** happens, but it`s offering it to you based on your VIN number which is very bad!!! Wish I would still have the MIB2.5 with sim card slot, SD slot and built in HDD

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stewartv said:

Anyone had feedback from Skoda?

There seems to be a total lack of customer engagement.

My letter was sent on the 22nd, so probably not received until after Christmas. I'd be hoping for a response in the next week or so, or I'll escalate to the Head of Skoda UK. 

My telephone contact has phoned me today to say they can't progress this remotely and asked me to take it to my dealer. But as we're now in lockdown, and it's not vital, I'm putting that off for now. I also think it's a design problem rather than an individual fault, so unless the dealer can update the software I don't expect much from them. 

As it's a VAG-wide issue, I wonder if journalists in Autocar, AutoExpress or What Car might be interested in taking it up?

Chris

On 24/12/2020 at 15:31, Jelugs said:

I would like to think that, if they were really on top of their job, then they would peruse the Briskoda Forums for issues that they should perhaps be taking a detailed interest in, but maybe i am being too optomistic!!!

You might be a bit optimistic in thinking that Skoda (or any other maker) takes much notice of what happens on forums.

Until any particular issue (whether it's a leaky sunroof, chattering wipers or pants infotainment software) has been investigated by a franchise dealer, Skoda have no choice but to regard everything posted on these forums as anecdotal.

There is no way they would investigate everything that appears on here or elsewhere without it being verified by the dealer network first. They simply couldn't do it. The range of problems - from a minor misfire to a massive malfunction - is far too great.

Jumping up and down, tearing your hair out and using every asterisk you can muster in your posts will make you feel better for having vented your spleen, but it won't expedite a resolution to the problem - to achieve that, you'll have to take your motor to a dealer and let someone stick a diagnostic terminal up its bottom, like it or not.

And you'll probably have to suffer the ignominy of being treated like a clueless muppet while you're there and left to walk out feeling as if you've been right royally fobbed off, but at least your beef will have been entered into the system.

For what it's worth, I've got a bit of experience of this very thing with our previous car, a 2017 A3. What the issue was isn't really relevant; suffice it to say that over the course of several months, dozens of phone calls to Audi Customer Service and a whole raft of irate posts on audi-sport.net, it transpired that hardly any of the dozens people on the forum who were quite justifiably hacked off about this particular bugbear had actually taken their car to a dealership to have the problem verified.

And without that verification, sod all happens.

I made a point of asking to speak to the same geezer at Customer Services whenever I rang up, partly because he would have heard about it and would hopefully remember, and partly to ask him how many actual bona fide reports he had on his system. The number was woefully small, and it has to be a reasonably big number (certainly well into double figures) before the whole thing gets escalated internally within the organisation to the point where a boffin actually starts trying to sort it out.

I gave up in the end. I haven't got the Audi any more. Not because of that issue, but because I quite fancied a Karoq Sportline. And that Karoq Sportline has been VOR at the dealership since the middle of November with a rear differential full of swarf from new.

Hey ho.

26 minutes ago, Phutters said:

You might be a bit optimistic in thinking that Skoda (or any other maker) takes much notice of what happens on forums.

I'm not sure whether Skoda take any notice of forums or not ........ but, when I complained about my 1.5tsi Karoq's strong urge to kill me - backed up by about 80 pages of similar reports on these pages ........ they (along with the dealer) advised me not to take any notice of what was written on forums (ha, ha, ha!).

It subsequently took a year of e-mails, phone calls, and the intervention of the DVSA before the software for the 1.5tsi engine was finally (more or less) sorted out. Unless the satnav issue is trying to kill you, then I suggest that you do as I did and get yourself a Tomtom .......... life's too short  ;)

One way to possibly attract attention is to  write to Skoda and request that the complaint to be logged in their Quality Management System. If they are an accredited organisation, then any complaints MUST be formally acknowledged and addressed.

This has worked wonders in the past when things have gone wrong with other companies. Quite often they will put in extra effort to avoid the onerous formal complaints process.

Even if they engage in a dialogue then it is better than total radio silence.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, stewartv said:

One way to possibly attract attention is to  write to Skoda and request that the complaint to be logged in their Quality Management System. If they are an accredited organisation, then any complaints MUST be formally acknowledged and addressed.

This has worked wonders in the past when things have gone wrong with other companies. Quite often they will put in extra effort to avoid the onerous formal complaints process.

Even if they engage in a dialogue then it is better than total radio silence.

I am just in the process of finalising my letter to Customer Service manager so will make a point of asking them to enter my complaint into the Quality Management System.... thanks... heres hoping!!

As someone who helped implement such a system way back when it was a novel Japanese idea (which we at least called Total Quality Management (TQM) I would have hoped that the system would automatically ensure it captured all complaints! 

As an aside, there was a tale going round that a British company ordered 10,000 widgets from a Japanese firm and specified that that there should only be .02% defective parts. When the box arrived they found a small package on the top of the consignment with a note. "We have packed the 2 defective parts separately for your inspection."

Chris 

2 minutes ago, Karoq2020 said:

I’ve submitted an email to them as I’m stuck and cannot update radio logos on our 6 week old car 

I'm assuming your car is fitted with the new MIB3 infotainment system (with the USB-C sockets and no SD card readers), so it will be interesting to see if Customer Support have realised this yet, and that advising you to download a file of Radio Logos, load it on an SD card and plug this into the car no longer works! (Incidentally, the file you download from the Update Portal doesn't include the logos I wanted such as Classic FM, or Smooth UK etc.) 

The consensus seems to be that the new VAG MIB3 systems can only show logos if they are transmitted by the radio station itself in its data stream. So any missing or out of date logos have to be inserted or replaced by the broadcaster rather than Skoda/VW/SEAT etc. For instance, one of my local radio stations - Signal 2 - was bought last autumn and rebranded as Greater Hits Staffordshire. But when I tune into this station name, it still displays the Signal 2 logo, and the Amundsen in my car cannot find find an up to date replacement instead. 

The more complaints the better though, as it may encourage the VAG infotainment designers to update the MIB3 systems by adding back in a way of loading our own logos again as we could in the superceded MIB1 and MIB2 systems!

Chris