Considering Fabia Estate1.0 tsi purchase. Advice please.

mark999

Hi hope everyone is keeping well. Our trusty old Octy Scout was written off by a complete (expletive) a couple of weeks ago. As we don’t need anything quite as big, but would miss the boot space we’re considering a fabia estate. 
Just wondering how reliable the small engines are and which is the best to go for, and if there is anything else we should look out for? 

Probably looking for one around 2 years old with some warranty remaining.

Thanks, Mark

1 hour ago, mark999 said:

Hi hope everyone is keeping well. Our trusty old Octy Scout was written off by a complete (expletive) a couple of weeks ago. As we don’t need anything quite as big, but would miss the boot space we’re considering a fabia estate. 
Just wondering how reliable the small engines are and which is the best to go for, and if there is anything else we should look out for? 

Probably looking for one around 2 years old with some warranty remaining.

Thanks, Mark

I cannot comment on reliability of the engines as I only bought mine last week. I'd be interested to hear from those who have had theirs much longer.

However, having downsized from a 2 litre diesel Octavia, I can say that the 1.0 litre Fabia estate 110 bhp I've bought is surprisingly quick.

One other thing I'd say is that, like you, I had intended to go for a low mileage used Fabia estate (perhaps 1 year old), but I found dealers seem to be falling over themselves to sell new ones.  I used the CarWow service and found brand new unregistered Fabia estates being offered for prices very close to 1 year old ones.  The dealer I bought from actually pre-registered an unregistered one just for me so they could sell it at a price that was equal to 1 year old ones.  I understand that a new design (MK4) is due out and I wonder if dealers are clearing existing stock of their Mk3s.

• Like 1

Our one is 3 years old and 60,000 trouble free miles so far. Got a 4 year warranty as I was a bit wary of the 3 cylinder but it has been great. Just change the oil every 10k for piece of mind.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an earlier 1.2tsi pre-facelift model, so i cant comment for the 1.0tsi.  However, I can say that generally the ea211 engine platform which both the 1.0 and 1.2 are part of, seem to be perfectly reliable, and very capable little engines.  Mine is now on 96k miles, never had an issue with the car, and it turns 5 today.  Only thing I will recommend however, is to go for the 110bhp variant as it comes with a 6 speed, rather than a 5 speed.

Hi, thanks for your replies. Test drove a 95 on Wednesday, which seemed a bit underpowered so it’s definitely a 110 that we’ll be looking for. Nor many available at the right price. Am I right in thinking that all the mk3 Fabias have a manual hand brake rather than an EPB?

Mark

Spotted a new 110 SE L estate online with the £2.5k finance contribution. Put a holding deposit on it . Have the wekend to think about it😀

Edited by mark999
Typo
  • Like 1

On 01/01/2021 at 15:28, mark999 said:

mk3 Fabias have a manual hand brake rather than an EPB

I haven't seen / heard of an EPB on the Fabia III thankfully.

Thanks, AG Falco

4 minutes ago, mark999 said:

Fantastic

Although at one time there was a choice on rear brakes.

Drum as standard and Disk at extra cost.

I don't think this was on all models though.

Thanks, AG Falco

H,i thanks for your help. Will definitely be buying the car. It’s a stock car so hopefully should have it in a few days.

Just a few more questions.

The car has the 16” Alloys, does anyone know which spare wheel kit I need, and will a 16 inch wheel fit in the wheel well?

Is it worth going for the mudflaps 

thanks again,

Mark

The OEM Spares are on 15" or 16" steels for a Fabia that are not Space Savers but will not have a tyre that matches identically the 4 on the car, so maybe consider getting an alloy the same size  or even type as on the car and getting a 5th tyre.

(The wheel and tyre taken off the car when the spare goes on fits in the spare tyre well.)

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/444440-spare-wheel

Maybe you will a full size alloy and tyre advertised in the Briskoda for sale ads,

maybe an OEM spare and sometimes even a tool kit.

Worth mud flaps if you like mud flaps.

Maybe best fitting yourself if you can and like more money in your pocket.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

Mud flaps are definitely worth it.  Keeps the car cleaner for longer, especially in the winter.  You can get OEM ones on ebay or from superskoda, or alternatively you can go for universal rally style mud flaps which require some cutting to shape.

Chose the 110bhp Fabia. The extra 6th gear helps for more relaxed motorway cruising and the extra power noticeable. Looked for and have disc brakes rear as drum was an option. Also have a spare in the boot, steel 15" and the tyre fitted matches the tyres fitted to the 15" wheels on the car. Purchased 2nd hand and put 12k on it with no issues at all. As an SE spec I fitted the OEM centre arm rest, door scuff plates, rubber mats. Enabled corner lights, hill start assist and auto door locking / unlocking with OBDEleven. 

New Car due to be delivered tomorrow 😀 it replaces our fantastic 10 year old Octavia Scout that was written off last month by a complete 🤬 

The 110ps engine and boot space which is only 60L less than the Octy really sealed the deal.

Just wondering it will be set to fixed or variable servicing?

Cheers Mark

• Like 1

On 07/01/2021 at 19:55, mark999 said:

New Car due to be delivered tomorrow 😀 it replaces our fantastic 10 year old Octavia Scout that was written off last month by a complete 🤬 

The 110ps engine and boot space which is only 60L less than the Octy really sealed the deal.

Just wondering it will be set to fixed or variable servicing?

Cheers Mark

The service booklet which should have come with your car will have an options sticker in it with a series of codes.  There will be a Q code for how often your car needs servicing, the service booklet will explain it too.

The car arrives from the factory ready for Variable / Flexible servicing and might get changed to Fixed Servicing at the PDI.

If anyone does not want Fixed Servicing @ 372 days / 9,400 miles intervals then tell the Sales Person in writing and with a phone call and keep reminding them when you are going to collect the car.

If they mess up and have changed it to Fixed when you go for the car just get them to get the Master Tech off their butt to change it.

They should be asking buyers and not assuming, unless maybe they want to give the first service free gratis.

There is no Service Books these days, unless by chance there are again....

@Mark99Has your car arrived with a Service Book,  and what was the Service Interval set at?

Edited by e-Roottoot

Hi thanks for your replies. There is no service book only the owners manual and Skoda assist booklet. I looked at service information on the infotainment system and it says oil service in 12 months and oil and inspection service in 24 months. Look like it’s set to fixed😀

Cheers, Mark

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/01/2021 at 19:24, mark999 said:

New car delivered yesterday and absolutely delighted. Looking forward to stretching it’s legs when the lockdown eventually eases 😀

2B81E647-EFEF-4C54-96D4-53AAF2D77C7F.jpeg

16 hours ago, classic said:

Looks great. 

How are you finding it compared to the Octavia ?

I’m tempted to get one myself.

Not wishing to barge in on Marks thread but to add my own two penny's worth on your question  I'd be interested in what Mark thinks too.

I had an Octavia Elegance 1.9 TDI estate prior to this new 2020 Fabia SEL estate 1.0 110 bhp.

They are very different cars.  The Octavia was higher spec, larger (of course) and had more soundproofing.

However the Fabia is surprisingly nippy.  It's early days (500 miles) so I'm being careful.  The boot on the Fabia estate is smaller of course but still a good size for our dog and other paraphernalia.  The steering on the Fabia is very positive too.  My only real niggle with the Fabia is the lack of soundproofing (road and wind noise) but I'm working on that.

All in all I'm thinking this is going to be a nice little car when it's quieter.

• Like 1

Hi, hope you are all keeping well. I’m really impressed with the Fabia. Despite being much smaller than the Octavia it has the feel of a much bigger car.

like JandB I only have a few hundred miles on the clock, but very pleased with how lively it is. I do miss the torque of the diesel but I’m sure it’s just a matter of getting used to it.

The boot space is excellent, only 60L down on the Scout. Once loaded the car seems to ride and handle really well.

I can thoroughly recommend the car. We test drive the 95ps version, which seemed a bit underpowered - if you want a 110 they are only available from stock.

Mark

• Like 1