2016 Octavia VRS Diesel Strange Engine Noises

Hi guys, sorry I know it's probably not the best idea to post two different (and probably unrelated) engine noises in the same thread, but it's kinda easier so I'm gonna do it anyway. This first noise is present when the engine is cold but has gone by the time it warms up. I think it's possibly a common noise and could maybe be the vacuum oil pump?...

https://youtu.be/PYjPQk5TfdI

This second noise is present when the engine is hot or cold and seems to sound like a bit of a gruff husky dump valve when I let off the accelerator. I initially thought the noise was when I was changing gear whilst driving, but today I realised it was when I let off the throttle and it still happens when the car is stationary...

https://youtu.be/vSTaKPg37QM

I've had the car a year and I'd say the first noise has kinda always been there and is sometimes more obvious than others. The second noise I've only started to notice recently. Any thoughts you guys have would be hugely appreciated, thank you :biggrin:

The car is a 2016 (66 plate) diesel manual Octavia VRS Estate and has a Superchips Bluefin remap and a DTUK pedal box :nod:

55 minutes ago, tunedude said:

An educated guess at the noise in the first video would be to suggest something timing belt / waterpump related. How many miles has your car done?

Hi tunedude, thanks for your response. Well, funny you should say that because I had my timing belt (and water pump) changed back in January because of this noise...

It solved that noise, and I'd say this noise is definitely different now. I hope it is anyway! The current noise does seem to be 'liquidy' and involve some sort of 'slushing' around though? Hard to describe. Car has just ticked over 70k now and the timing belt was done at just over 62k

1 hour ago, simonds3135 said:

Hi tunedude, thanks for your response. Well, funny you should say that because I had my timing belt (and water pump) changed back in January because of this noise...

It solved that noise, and I'd say this noise is definitely different now. I hope it is anyway! The current noise does seem to be 'liquidy' and involve some sort of 'slushing' around though? Hard to describe. Car has just ticked over 70k now and the timing belt was done at just over 62k

This old noise have different notes and now it looks sorted indeeded.

10 minutes ago, indars said:

My 11/2016 2.0TDI 110kW makes 100% exact 1st noise since new. Louder when cold, almost quiet when hot. Our companys' brand new few VW Crafters makes exactly same noise.

That's interesting to know. I think it probably is just an annoying noise that's actually fine, but it's annoying when there's a noise making your car sound rough for no reason :doh:

Mine has a slight noise when cold which sounds like a belt turning, no where near as loud as that first video on yours. Cambelt and water pump were changed when I bought the car 5000 miles ago. The 2nd video I can’t hear anything that doesn’t sound the same as mine does. I must admit I don’t think the engine is as refined as my previous 1.6 Honda dtec that was much quieter 

@simonds3135 first one is 100% vacuum-oil pump. This is common noise for our diesels. There is a technical bulletin and wont be changed under warranty. Skoda calls it cosmetic and non harmful issue. 

Mine has it from brand new, developed it around 15k km. Since then I'm searching and asking, it can be heard on brand new as they've shown me.

Unfortunately asking around I found a russian guy who replaced his and the new one developed similar after awhile. Very discouraging to be honest. 

FYI its only 2.0 TDI in Octavia from our generation. Once the temperature reaches around 80 deg it disappears.

Louder on the right side as on our video. Vacuum-oli pump (its combined one).

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Sec8200
  • Like 1

@Sec8200 is absolutely right. When I was buying mine, Skoda dealer told me the same - known issue with no recall because it's a cosmetic one and doesn't affect engine behavior.

Some say that the noise disappears for a while if you replace the oil pump belt, but eventually appears again after 15-20k...

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 30/12/2020 at 22:38, simonds3135 said:

Hi guys, sorry I know it's probably not the best idea to post two different (and probably unrelated) engine noises in the same thread, but it's kinda easier so I'm gonna do it anyway. This first noise is present when the engine is cold but has gone by the time it warms up. I think it's possibly a common noise and could maybe be the vacuum oil pump?...

https://youtu.be/PYjPQk5TfdI

This second noise is present when the engine is hot or cold and seems to sound like a bit of a gruff husky dump valve when I let off the accelerator. I initially thought the noise was when I was changing gear whilst driving, but today I realised it was when I let off the throttle and it still happens when the car is stationary...

https://youtu.be/vSTaKPg37QM

I've had the car a year and I'd say the first noise has kinda always been there and is sometimes more obvious than others. The second noise I've only started to notice recently. Any thoughts you guys have would be hugely appreciated, thank you :biggrin:

The car is a 2016 (66 plate) diesel manual Octavia VRS Estate and has a Superchips Bluefin remap and a DTUK pedal box :nod:

I've just noticed this first sound on my VRS TDI, was a bit worried it might be DMF or gearbox...!

Have you had any issues with this since or has it remained the same?

The noise is the oil pump and usually it quietens down when warmed up. I have seen a massive reduction in noise since I put Wynns oil cleaner in and switched to Millers Oil from Quantum. The noise is only very slightly there on idle.

• Like 1