Timing chain or cambelt?

I own a Skoda Superb mk3 year 2016 with engine 3v5. I bought it used and I can't find any info in service plan on ahat interval Cambelt should be replaced. None of the earlier services that the previous owners made included cambelt. That makes me think that this car har a timing chain instead. Where can I find info ablout this?

Maintenance manual downloaded for a small fee from erWin skoda might be your best way of finding out honest info about intervals for the belt.  UK dealerships just seem to make up info as they go along.  Not sure where you are in the world, come to that.

Edited by Wino

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/01/2021 at 12:10, wertok said:

Thanks! Seems like 115000 Miles (180000 km) or 5 years what comes first is the interval here in Sweden. 

Does anyone know what intervals are now being specified in Germany, Ireland and other European countries?   I believe they were once different.  I am at 5 years and 48K miles and it just feels a bit soon to be replacing cambelts and water pumps.  That is just a hunch though - not base on any technical reasoning.

18 minutes ago, plasma99 said:

Does anyone know what intervals are now being specified in Germany, Ireland and other European countries?   I believe they were once different.  I am at 5 years and 48K miles and it just feels a bit soon to be replacing cambelts and water pumps.  That is just a hunch though - not base on any technical reasoning.

I went in to a shop to get a price om timing belt and waterpump replacement and he looked att the service intervals on computer and told me that the interval on my car is 210000 km and no time limit.

3 minutes ago, wertok said:

I went in to a shop to get a price om timing belt and waterpump replacement and he looked att the service intervals on computer and told me that the interval on my car is 210000 km and no time limit.

Is that Sweden?

41 minutes ago, plasma99 said:

Just had 2015 Tsi 150 done, 5 years was the stipulated interval. I looked at the old belt and it looked like it had a LOT more life in.

Just now, Wino said:

5 years is a commercial decision by VW Group in the UK, I think, not an engineering one.

So do you know what Germany are saying?  I tempted to go with what they say since they designed the engine.  I've been looking at the foreign websites looking for their version of the attached but cannot find it

image.png

What is wrong with using your good old eyeballs to see if an engine has a cambelt or a timing chain?

Seems like the internet has to be consulted for everything these days even for what is in front of ones nose,  the engine code sticker was probably on the timing belt cover :D

22 minutes ago, J.R. said:

What is wrong with using your good old eyeballs to see if an engine has a cambelt or a timing chain?

Seems like the internet has to be consulted for everything these days even for what is in front of ones nose,  the engine code sticker was probably on the timing belt cover :D

I know it has a cambelt.  My simple question is what do the Skoda dealers in Germany recommend as the interval for changing the cam belt/water pump on a 2016 Superb 2.0Tdi.  I may be wrong but I sense the UK dealers are profiteering by stating 5 years

My response was to the OP and the topic title.

I cannot help you regarding Germany.

28 minutes ago, plasma99 said:

I know it has a cambelt.  My simple question is what do the Skoda dealers in Germany recommend as the interval for changing the cam belt/water pump on a 2016 Superb 2.0Tdi.  I may be wrong but I sense the UK dealers are profiteering by stating 5 years

I believe I read that it was longer in Germany, but I never proved it. Ill have a search on some German VAG forums.  Some other manufactuers (Ford  / PSA) now run 10 years / 100,000 miles on a cambelt? 

8 hours ago, Jase_31 said:

I believe I read that it was longer in Germany, but I never proved it. Ill have a search on some German VAG forums.  Some other manufactuers (Ford  / PSA) now run 10 years / 100,000 miles on a cambelt? 

Information so far on the EA288 engine, is that usual interval is 210,000km (no age limit), or 120,000km in dust rich countries. 

This query with Audi is interesting 

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a-new-thread-about-the-cambelt-service-question.403871/

9 hours ago, Jase_31 said:

Octavia (with the 2.0TDI EA288) engine should be the same as the superb??? 

The official skoda advice is 210,000km without time limit. This is reduced to 120,000 in dust rich countries (which they specify which countries) again without time limit.

The exception is Russia, where they specify inspection (maybe not replace) every  60,000 KM or 4 Years. 

No mention on the UK.

Thanks very much for the information from Jase_31.  This ties up with what wertok said from Sweden - 210kms without time limit.  There is no adequate explanation of the UK 5 year 50k miles recommendation.

No way I am getting mine changed now.  A well engineered (long life?) belt fitted by the manufacturer - why would I mess with that? There will always be loads of people saying “don’t risk it” and “I had a mate down the pub and his went at 5 years and 1 month”  but these people would have to concede that hundreds of thousands of German owners are also taking a risk.  I don’t accept the premise.  

There is an explanation for the UK 5 year 50k miles recommendation.

Skoda UK / VW Group forced Dealerships to have modern exteriors to buildings and fancy looking showrooms and comfortable places to sit while the customer gets ripped off.

The Dealerships can not just stay busy doing 'Recall Actions', Warranty Work, Emissions Fixes etc they need paid work doing Services & Maintenance work.

• Like 2