Wiper relay clicking.

KostiR

yep, I hear it too but only if it is quiet (like if im stopped or im driving slowly). I don't notice it otherwise if the rain is heavier or there is road noise.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In my new SCALA I have the same loud switch/relay clicking on the INT (intermittent wiping) setting. (There is a rain sensor, doubt that makes a difference)

You cannot hear a relay clicking noise when the wiper function is set to low or high ( continuous action). And it’s not because of other noises drowning the relay noise out, it isn’t making a noise when on low or high, only on INT. 

I just had it in the garage for another issue and they tell me the clicking was normal. 
I’ve had several other VAG group cars and I’ve never heard any relays clicking like this.

I’m going to ask again and see if they will replace it anyway. 
if not I’ll probably purchase another one, I’d bet that it won’t click like the one scoda use in the scala. 

@David-SCALA-STY-TS81 I think you will find that the (dual) relay involved is soldered to a circuit board, not a pluggable/unpluggable item, but do let us know if you find a removable one please.

If you listen carefully as you switch wipers on, off, or change between normal and high speed you may hear a single click each time, but the continuous wiping modes don't involve the relays doing any switching except at those times.

The mechanism driving the wiper arms takes care of the apparent starting and stopping at the ends of each sweep, not the relays.

• Thanks 1

Use continuous wiping instead of intermittent whenever possible, for both the elimination of clicking and improving the life expectancy of the relay.

As I said upthread, putting some sound insulation between the BCM unit and your ears is probably the only practical solution.

Edited by Wino

• 5 months later...

Hey!

I have this same problem as well - the wiper relays are working as intended (aka my wipers work fine), but the noise on the left side of the steering wheelabsolutely insane. I called my 

Skoda servicer and he said it's normal in both Scala and Kamiq, which both have the same parts in this department. But i'm not convinced, it's so loud that i can have the radio 

on pretty loud and still hear it. Does somenone have a Scala which has no wiper relay clicking at all, or baribly audible wiper relay clicking? Like does someone have it as "it's supposed to be" in my boooks? :D

I was convinced that mine had really really quiet clickin the first week i drove. Then one frozen morning i put the car on while the wind wipers where frozen to the glass and they went automatically

on. This ofc was not good since the motor had no power to break the ice, but i have this feeling that the problem could have come from this incident somehow. Question is, can these relays get "damaged" somehow that the noise goes up, but they cointinue to work as intended?

And can that relay be just switched? I have a feeling mine has something wrong. Or then maybe i'm too sensitive to the noise, but it really really annoys me and i hear it very loud. 

Thanks for any help in advance!

Had the same problem in our Karoq - clicking as the relay activated and the noise when the wiper motor was running - quite the loudest I've ever heard in a car!