Potential battery problem

walshyg

hi i have a yeti 2.0ltr diesel 140 cr tdi 4x4 auto the engine is ticking over at 1000rpm normally at 850rpm had scan done at skoda liverpool no issues found battery half charged charge up battery to full charge over ight everything off found battery to half charged skoda checked battery said its fine

Edited by john999boy

• john999boy changed the title to Potential battery problem

My 2013 170 Yeti is still on its original Varta battery, although for the last four years the voltage when tested before starting in the morning has been around 12.1 Volts. I also had the battery tested by a Skoda main agent when it was in for a service four years ago, expecting them to say a new one was needed; however, like yours, they said it was ok. on a load test. I assume it is one cell which is not up to scratch, and have been expecting it to fail each winter since, but it has not failed to start the car once, even on frosty mornings (it is parked outside.)  I suppose having said that, I should now expect it to fail shortly !

On the tickover, mine runs at 850 rpm when warmed up, but during the winter this will take longer, and 1,000 rpm is seen more often (also when 'doing a regen'.)

First winter with mine and I have also noticed it in the last few colder days at close to zero temperatures, it has not been doing a regen because engine too cold & fans aren't running when I switch off.

It's encouraging to know that its normal behaviour.

Fast idle also helps compensate for extra electrical load (heater fan, a/c, heated rear screen, heated mirrors, heated seats (if fitted), lights etc).

• Like 1