New SE L boot rattle

gigolo456

Ok. Do do a follow up post once the mechanic does the adjustments, as it will be helpful for others to know if this could be a fix for their boot rattles. Seems rattles do crop up from time to time!

• Like 2

Slightly off topic but just noticed DSLs photo on page one shows a towing eye in the tools. For some reason in the latest cars they no longer supply these. Although I don’t think you can tow a DSG car you surely need to fit one so the recovery driver can pull it onto the recovery truck. Only alternative would be to tie to winch wire to the suspension and run the risk that as the wire tightens it will cut your bumper in half. Another example of “simply clever”

Slightly off topic but just noticed DSLs photo on page one shows a towing eye in the tools. For some reason in the latest cars they no longer supply these. Although I don’t think you can tow a DSG car you surely need to fit one so the recovery driver can pull it onto the recovery truck. Only alternative would be to tie to winch wire to the suspension and run the risk that as the wire tightens it will cut your bumper in half. Another example of “simply clever”

On 30/01/2021 at 16:59, gigolo456 said:

You live and learn, but bloody expensive misjudgement..:o

I know this is a bit 'after the event', but for £130 you can specify 18" Rims on an SEL when ordering from new.

Not entirely a satisfactory result, but anything to get rid of those rubber bands for tyres must be a positive.

I have asked many times (of Skoda UK) why they insist on supplying their vehicles with such large rims.

The answer is 'its all to do with emissions!! Aparently bigger rims give better figures.

The odd thing that they can never answer is why you can buy a 16" rim as an official aftermarket item direct from Skoda!

In fact there was a whole load of discussion on this subject nearly 9 years ago over in the Yeti Forum.

In those days it was possible to ask Skoda UK to change a digit on the computer to use the same wheels as fitted to a lesser model of Yeti

Edited by vegit8
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, vegit8 said:

I know this is a bit 'after the event', but for £130 you can specify 18" Rims on an SEL when ordering from new.

Not entirely a satisfactory result, but anything to get rid of those rubber bands for tyres must be a positive.

I have asked many times (of Skoda UK) why they insist on supplying their vehicles with such large rims.

The answer is 'its all to do with emmissions!! Aparently bigger rims give better figures.

The odd thing that they can never answer is why you can buy a 16" rim as an official aftermarket item direct from Skoda!

In fact there was a whole load of discussion on this subject nearly 9 years ago over in the Yeti Forum.

In those days it was possible to ask Skoda UK to change a digit on the computer to use the same wheels as fitted to a lesser model of Yeti

Would have thought the OP would have required to order them as an accessory ( a lot more than £130 ) as 18" unlikely to be an option when his car came with 19" as std. As he said, the test drive was on a car with 18". Skoda have changed the specs since OP purchased his car, 18" is std, there's a different design of 18" offered for £130 and it's £450 extra if you want the OP's £450 19".   When the 19" on SE-L was first rumoured on here,  I questioned it. Couldn't believe it when SE-L came with 19" Crator as std. Other than having an over supply of 19" Crator or the supply of 18's dried up, it was just a crazy, crazy decision IMO to offer the SE-L with same alloys as Edition. Wonder how many Edition sales they lost as a result? The OP is unusual in that he was concenred about ride quality whilst Joe Public tend to be more concerned about aesthetics. ( Joe Public UK I might add - other markets are less image concious than us ).   

If comfort was a priority I have to say that if I knew the car I ordered was coming with 225/40/19 then I would have cancelled / changed the order. The 19" tyres on my car came over-inflated for my use - it was if they were still in 'transport' mode. Setting them to the correct pressure helped. Has OP checked pressures? It certainly reduced road noise but comfort is always going to be an issue on such low-profile tyres.

But what struck me about vegit8's response is someone needs to ask why a manufacturer supplies cars with large rims? I'd have thought the answer pretty obvious (pun intended.)  I have to laugh at the response tho, larger rims give better fuel consumption? How can heavier alloys and heavier tyres improve mpg? That'll be why all 'economy' orientated cars come with 22" alloys - to save fuel. :D 

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Scot5 said:

But what struck me about vegit8's response is someone needs to ask why a manufacturer supplies cars with large rims? I'd have thought the answer pretty obvious (pun intended.)  I have to laugh at the response tho, larger rims give better fuel consumption? How can heavier alloys and heavier tyres improve mpg? That'll be why all 'economy' orientated cars come with 22" alloys - to save fuel. :D 

Not quite what I said..

The larger rims are specified to lower emissions, not economy.

10 minutes ago, vegit8 said:

Not quite what I said..

The larger rims are specified to lower emissions, not economy.

How do they reckon that works?  Less tyre deformation reduces drag....?   I'd have thought any improvement in emissions would of necessity be correlated to fuel economy.  

I suspect a bluff to disguise the vanity of people who want large wheels to *look kool*    Personally I find that 17's are a better ride / handling compromise on our Karoq than the 18's that it came with.  

3 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Would have thought the OP would have required to order them as an accessory ( a lot more than £130 ) as 18" unlikely to be an option when his car came with 19" as std. As he said, the test drive was on a car with 18". Skoda have changed the specs since OP purchased his car, 18" is std, there's a different design of 18" offered for £130 and it's £450 extra if you want the OP's £450 19".   When the 19" on SE-L was first rumoured on here,  I questioned it. Couldn't believe it when SE-L came with 19" Crator as std. Other than having an over supply of 19" Crator or the supply of 18's dried up, it was just a crazy, crazy decision IMO to offer the SE-L with same alloys as Edition. Wonder how many Edition sales they lost as a result? The OP is unusual in that he was concenred about ride quality whilst Joe Public tend to be more concerned about aesthetics. ( Joe Public UK I might add - other markets are less image concious than us ).   

If comfort was a priority I have to say that if I knew the car I ordered was coming with 225/40/19 then I would have cancelled / changed the order. The 19" tyres on my car came over-inflated for my use - it was if they were still in 'transport' mode. Setting them to the correct pressure helped. Has OP checked pressures? It certainly reduced road noise but comfort is always going to be an issue on such low-profile tyres.

Hi, yes, checked tyre pressures and all spot on actually! In an effort to 'soften' the ride, I reduced the pressure in all 4 tyres, although not entirely sure that was wise lol!?

The whole process was in hindsight a bit rushed, not helped of course by covid! I'd pretty much decided even before the test-drives that I was going to buy new, but one already I stock! Well, it was one actually en route to the UK I believe..

It was only after said test-drives that I learnt the car would be coming with 19s, so was hoping upon hope that the ride quality would be similar to 18s!?

My p/x Golf R was losing money fast, not to mention the service that was due, AND brakes replacing AND 2 new tyres within a couple of months, so time was of the essence so to speak..

Still have boot area rattle, but hoping my Skoda techie mate can resolve once we can start meeting up again..:cool:

The 16” are for the winter tyres. I have 16” on my Edition at the moment with winter tyres on. Will put the19” back on in April.

My 19” wheels have a 45 aspect tyre as far as I can recall. not 40 so not that harsh a ride. Much better than previous Yeti on17”!!

I alwaysthought the opposite, bigger rims increased emissions. I believe the reason the manufacturers put bigger rims on the higher spec cars is for some reason they think extra features on a car you must want bigger wheels. I have often wondered why the luxury models always come with drug dealer wheels, to me, if you want luxury you want a luxury car you want a luxury ride so a bigger more compliant sidewall is what you want. 

12 minutes ago, 1stkaroc said:

Reminds me of this chap being pulled out of my hedge by the suspension as no towing/lashing eye.  

spacer.png

Cable was wrapped round the suspension, it got a bit ouch-ish at one stage.  I think the recovery did more damage than the crash!

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Back to rattles from the boot area....

Our MY 2021 Karoq Sportline 1.5 has developed a rattle from the rear with 3k miles on the clock. I thought at first that it might be the boot area cover, but ruled that out by removing it and driving. Rattle.....rattle, rattle....

I then squatted in the back last week while my wife drove and the noise, a light rattle rather than the heavier type of noise I would associate with a loose tailgate, appears to be coming from behind the trim panel over the offside rear quarter. Loose connector on the rear offisde light assembly? I am hoping that our local dealer will be able to identify and resolve today. They have the car until tomorrow if necessary.

• Thanks 1

24 hrs later car still at the dealer.

Yesterday when I dropped it off at 8.45 as arranged for attention, I invited the service receptionist to make a note of my informed findings about the approximate location of the source of the rattle.  They wrote (something) on a post-it note that was then stuck on the service sheet.

At 4.40 I spoke to the service manager. Apparently two technicians had been out in the car, one to drive, one to listen. They were investigating the possbility that the rattle emanates from the rear seat assembly. some 30 minutes later he left a voicemail message to the effect that they had *decided* the rattle is something behind the offside rear quarter trim panel...

Apparently they plan to remove the trim panel this morning.

!

I will share the result in the hope that it helps others here.

Edited by KevinF

On 08/03/2021 at 17:25, 1stkaroc said:

Hi, I have collected a new karoq sportline my21 two days ago and the towing eye attachment is in with the tools in the boot. 👍

I had an issue with hard rattling sound when going over rough roads or bumps from area of boot lid, on removal of trim to route cable for rear dash cam, I noticed that wiring and rear wash tubing was loose and the hard plastic connector on the tubing was able to rattle against the tailgate, so I placed a piece of sponge to hold the tubing from moving, that fixed the noise, worth a look to take the tailgate trim off and have a look.

Kenny

16 minutes ago, Kenni said:

I had an issue with hard rattling sound when going over rough roads or bumps from area of boot lid, on removal of trim to route cable for rear dash cam, I noticed that wiring and rear wash tubing was loose and the hard plastic connector on the tubing was able to rattle against the tailgate, so I placed a piece of sponge to hold the tubing from moving, that fixed the noise, worth a look to take the tailgate trim off and have a look.

Kenny

Cheers, certainly another avenue to go down if adjusting the stoppers doesn't work! Hopefully my Skoda techy acquaintance can have a look over the Easter weekend!

I'm determined to have the issue resolved, watch this space!! :mellow:

Edited by gigolo456
Error

• 4 months later...
On 29/03/2021 at 22:52, gigolo456 said:

Cheers, certainly another avenue to go down if adjusting the stoppers doesn't work! Hopefully my Skoda techy acquaintance can have a look over the Easter weekend!

I'm determined to have the issue resolved, watch this space!! :mellow:

Hello all, I also have this problem and was wondering if adjusting the stoppers has worked. Can I assume yes as the post hasn’t been updated since March?

1 hour ago, WozzerH said:

Hello all, I also have this problem and was wondering if adjusting the stoppers has worked. Can I assume yes as the post hasn’t been updated since March?

Hi, apologies for not updating this post since, life got in the way and all that! My mate did adjust the level of the stoppers by a full 2 'levels '! There is probably a technical term for these movements but I'll stick with 'levels ' lol!!

Ok, so I started driving off, 1st thing I notice is that warning light in the dash comes on, indicating that the boot isn't closed properly!! Thought oh ffs, what have I done, well my techie mate tbf!? I then close the boot harder, and dash light goes off, PHEW..!!

I then drove over usual patch of **** road, and yippee, rattle has completely gone!!

So yes, for my particular issue, adjusting the boot stoppers has worked! I always have to ensure though that the boot is FULLY  closed after opening, ie apply a bit more muscle than usual, but nothing too extreme mind..!

I'm tempted to ask techie mate to adjust stoppers 1 level back, but not going to tempt fate!!

42 minutes ago, gigolo456 said:

Hi, apologies for not updating this post since, life got in the way and all that! My mate did adjust the level of the stoppers by a full 2 'levels '! There is probably a technical term for these movements but I'll stick with 'levels ' lol!!

Ok, so I started driving off, 1st thing I notice is that warning light in the dash comes on, indicating that the boot isn't closed properly!! Thought oh ffs, what have I done, well my techie mate tbf!? I then close the boot harder, and dash light goes off, PHEW..!!

I then drove over usual patch of **** road, and yippee, rattle has completely gone!!

So yes, for my particular issue, adjusting the boot stoppers has worked! I always have to ensure though that the boot is FULLY  closed after opening, ie apply a bit more muscle than usual, but nothing too extreme mind..!

I'm tempted to ask techie mate to adjust stoppers 1 level back, but not going to tempt fate!!

That’s great news. I will give this a try as soon as possible but maybe do 1 notch at a time and see what happens. The neighbours might not appreciate loud slamming of the tailgate early in the mornings. Thanks for the update. 👍

Just a polite reminder, since the post's a few pages back, it's only a couple of mm between success and failure with this adjustment.  It's easy to go too far, and the boot locking is crucial. 

It was easier on my old Octy where the rubber bump stops basically screwed into the hatch.  These "ratchet" stops on the Karoq are a step backwards IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FlyingGecko said:

Just a polite reminder, since the post's a few pages back, it's only a couple of mm between success and failure with this adjustment.  It's easy to go too far, and the boot locking is crucial. 

It was easier on my old Octy where the rubber bump stops basically screwed into the hatch.  These "ratchet" stops on the Karoq are a step backwards IMO.

Hi FlyingGecko, thanks for the warning. I had a look at this today and as you say, the adjustments are tiny. I didn't have the correct screwdriver bit, so went plan B. I thought the distance between each ratchet stop was so small maybe I could "adjust" the depth some other way. 3 narrow strips of duct tape stuck on top of each bumper seems to be just the right thickness to allow the tailgate to shut easily and, so far, touch wood eliminate the annoying banging noise. it's early days, but seems promising. As long as the duct tape stays stuck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi all, just a response to the boot rattle issue, mine only started within the last month or so proper annoying!, went through everything including driving with an empty boot, still there, took the advice of looking at the boot stops and after adjusting both slightly rattle has disappeared! , will let you know how it progresses.

• Like 2