Out in the snow

AndyC

On 25/01/2021 at 18:42, DSL said:

Not all 4x4s are born equal. :thumbup:

Just a little illustration.  I’d doubt those are anything but the standard fit tyres.

Keeping well away from the “BUY IT NOW” button as feeling the lure!  :angry:

Or use a spade and a couple of barrow loads of grit to spread out round the lorry wheels, driver goes for a fag, a pee and a brew. When he comes back the ice has gone and off he goes....

Cost of grit something like a fiver ( we buy it in bulk bags at work.......)

Cost of Landrovers vastly overpriced Defender.....£50k+...??

:tongueout:

(I do actually like Landrovers and have had two Disco's myself)

Where’s the fun in that?  It shows it can be done rather than should be done if a bag of salt and cup of tea are available. :cool:

And less of this over-priced malarkie, I’m slowly but surely working on SWMBO for one in addition to my Karoq.  I have the green light for a new Deafner as long as I sell Skippy but I don’t want to do that.  I need to polish off my best Man Maths, but it’s a difficult sell as SWMBO is an ex-accountant. :crying:

57 minutes ago, Phil245 said:

(I do actually like Landrovers and have had two Disco's myself)

They have a habit of getting into your blood.  When I sold my Disco 4 in Nov 18 I swore that would be the last LR, and it was faultless.   Now I’m drawn back like a moth to a flame.   Hey ho, it’s only money and we’ve nothing else to spend it on at the mo. 

Yeah,  we had them to tow big caravans, but we've got a camper van now.  The Disco's are hard ( for me) to justify as a daily driver as I commute a fair distance.....

My dad had over 20 Disco's, RR's etc and has now got a Velar.

Between me, my parents & sisters we've probably had over 40 LR's.....

But their relentless drive up market is slowly pushing them out of (my) reach.....

had my first snow trip in my Karoq 1.5 SEL and struggled to get good grip anywhere.

It's a year old, so still has the tyres it had as new

I've looked for winter tyres but the choice seems to be limited.

215/50/18 doesn't seem to be offered as a winter tyre in many places

Is it an oddball size?

Alternatively if you’re keeping the car long term get a second set of Karoq (rare as unicorn teeth)/Tiguan/Q3/Ateca 17”ers and get proper winters.  Much, much, more choice and proper winter tyres available. :thumbup:

Thanks for that, I had seen those two tyres but was hoping for more choice.

The option of a second set is a good idea, but I usually change my cars every 3 yrs, so I'll have to weigh up the pro-s and con-s

If that’s the choice that’s not a bad choice.  I know it’s not good having to flog or bin perfectly good new(ish) tyres but it’s not a decision you’d regret in winter.  I’m on full winters and haven’t seen the gravel of my drive since Chrimbo eve, driving on snow and ice is now the norm, so my need is a bit extreme.  My ILs have Michelin Cross Climates on their 2wd Karoq in Surrey and have had no problems with local hills in the little snow they’ve had. 

• Like 1

4" of snow here in Sheffield today (my part anyhow) with what appeared to be hardly any gritting or ploughing - no problem for our old Octy 4x4 with Cross Climates getting to and from hospital across the other side of town with my daughter...

2 minutes ago, skomaz said:

4" of snow here in Sheffield today (my part anyhow) with what appeared to be hardly any gritting or ploughing - no problem for our old Octy 4x4 with Cross Climates getting to and from hospital across the other side of town with my daughter...

Yes, it was bad this morning in my car, I live in North Sheffield and spent nearly 4 hours trying to get to work, then back home

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Snowglobe said:

Yes, it was bad this morning in my car, I live in North Sheffield and spent nearly 4 hours trying to get to work, then back home

I'm south west on the Derbyshire / peak district border - so sounds like it was similar across the city!  4hours commute is bad though!

One of the many advantages to living in the Heelands is that they are very, very good at keeping the roads cleared and gritted, to the extent that a gritter goes in front of the bin lorry on collection day.  My town even has its own tractor that ploughs and salts the pavements.  Down side of the little tractor is that I have no excuse not to go out running tomorrow, unless it snows tonight. :D

Plus most peeps with whatever type of cars or vans run on winter tyres, some peeps just leave them on all year as we don’t exactly get hot summers. 

You can use 16” 6j wheels with winter tyres and get more choice. 
That’s what I have on at the moment and on their 3rd winter as aI bought for previous Yeti.

I paid £50 per wheel for steel rims plus choice of tyre at different costs depending on make.

Also means alloys are protected from salty road use.

A bit of topic: i deeply regret for being lazy and didnt bought hood protection against grit. Here theyre spreading it like crazy and stones already made damages. Its like driving a rally in Morroco. 

Edited by Arsen

3 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

You can use 16” 6j wheels with winter tyres and get more choice. 
That’s what I have on at the moment and on their 3rd winter as aI bought for previous Yeti.

I paid £50 per wheel for steel rims plus choice of tyre at different costs depending on make.

Also means alloys are protected from salty road use.

May I ask plse what size wheels came with the car, ie what you use (I'm assuming) most of the year?

2 hours ago, DSL said:

Alternatively if you’re keeping the car long term get a second set of Karoq (rare as unicorn teeth)/Tiguan/Q3/Ateca 17”ers and get proper winters.  Much, much, more choice and proper winter tyres available. :thumbup:

Good move. I bought these Q3 alloys which were fitted with Pirelli Sottozero winter tyres from a Facebook Marketplace ad, a few years ago.  If I remember correcty, I paid £350 for them which was a bit of a bargain for what had been an Audi dealer supplied winter kit at c. £1300.  The tyres were lightly used and I think we ran them for a couple of winters on my wife's Tiguan.  However, the Pirellis weren't as good as the Dunlop winters we'd previously used, so they were changed for Dunlop D5 Winter Sport which did good service on my wife's third and last Tiguan before they were fitted to her current Karoq.  

IMG_3798.jpeg

Edited by Schtum
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gigolo456 said:

May I ask plse what size wheels came with the car, ie what you use (I'm assuming) most of the year?

19” 8j wheels are standard.

The 16” wheels are listed on the fuel filler cap as winter tyres for car.

The speedo is slightly more optimistic with winter tyres on eg at a true 50 it reads 55. With 19” it would read 54.

Edited by kenfowler3966
  • Thanks 1