Estate boot struts - are yours weak?

Hi, I've always wondered whether my boot struts are super weak or whether this is normal on the Mk3 Octavia.

While they do hold the boot open ok, from about half way down (or up) the boot feels very heavy and will slam closed should you not hold it. 

The Mk2 had fairly strong struts on the boot from memory and often needed a good slam to close it. 

Is this like yours?

Cheers!

Exactly the same problem with my hatch version. Granted car is over 5y now, but still I would not expect to change struts so early. When opening the boot, I will almost zero help of the struts, even after 50% way up..

• Like 1

I noticed my boot (wagon) slams shut really easily too, it’s ok towards the top but it does ‘drop’ quickly as it gets towards the lower half.. mines if 2015 model. 

• Like 1

Yup, they are much worse in the cold weather I find. I am just wondering whether it is worth opting for a replacement set of struts since it is a little dangerous having it slam so violently.

If you are not careful I can see a window exploding when it slams closed lol.

My octavia had the same issue. Was like that for the 3 years I had it but never popped a window even after shutting it on the rear screen a couple of times.  Window shades helped a bit as they softened the knocks somewhat.

I added some sound deadening to my boot and it highlighted the problem. I ordered some higher force rated ones and got sent identical ones by mistake but they do open it a lot better, cars only 4 as well

• Like 1

Be interested where you get yours from. Mine needs a shove on the way up these days for sure. 

Think I got 350nm on the bonnet lift struts I added and they are smooth as butter with no effort after the first lift up. Not sure what the boot would need on the estate but I expect the glass weighs a bit so could be similar rating. 

Edited by paulski

The only thing I've noticed more so in the cold weather is a slight noise when opening & closing the estate boot (from a quarter way up & down) coming from the struts? It's like a squeal/squeak noise, I even sprayed them clean with GT85 lubricant which does help but the squeal or squeak only ends up returning. The boot opens fully no problems there but the squeal/squeak is really annoying.

Out of curiosity what struts (make/brand/rated NM) did people change them over to (Febi?) 

They are meant to be internally lubricated. I would guess that the creak is most likely coming from the ball joint, maybe worth a blob of grease, they are super easy to remove.

540N seems to ring a bell, there is a similar topic to this somehwere where someone did the same as me with the sound deadening and put some way overpowered struts on (650N maybe?) and said his boot nearly took off so only ended up using 1.

Plenty of auto spares sites that you can use to replace them.

• Like 1

Cheers guys B)

Yep 540N apparently is the correct extension force & from looking around today, it seems the original struts are made by Stabilus (285866)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173937508394

Considering my car is approaching 7 years old & for the sake of £40 with them on the originals, I might just replace them. :thumbup:

Just a word of warning, never lubricate or degrease boot struts, you can lubricate the ball joints and clean the rod of dust and dirt, but never grease or oil the struts. You can destroy their ability to hold up you rear door in seconds.

Edited by FrankNicklin
  • Like 1

Well I got mine changed today from OEM to new OEM and the difference is minor but slightly better.   I think it is by design that the estate boot closes with much more force.  I do remember the Mk2 really needed a good shove to close compared the Mk3.

The part number I had before was 5E9 827 550 04S and the replacement is labelled 5E9 827 550 01S.

They have 0540N on them which I guess is the 540 NMs.

They probably lift a bit better from about half way open but from just over half way closed I would say the design of the strut position means the boot closes under its own weight. Something I've had to get used to in order to prevent a right slam of the boot.

The new struts were not cheap! £42 each!

• Like 2

On 11/02/2021 at 21:51, BATVANVRS said:

Cheers guys B)

Yep 540N apparently is the correct extension force & from looking around today, it seems the original struts are made by Stabilus (285866)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173937508394

Considering my car is approaching 7 years old & for the sake of £40 with them on the originals, I might just replace them. :thumbup:

If you look on the struts they have this stamped, its not super obvious but once youve seen it you realise