Help, water ingress, is it time to say goodbye :-(

11 hours ago, DeanVRS20VT said:

Unless I’m being thick I still don’t understand how this stops water?

The cover is only there to protect the internals. Even with the foam or plastic sheeting, water will still trickle over it and sit on the bottom door seals... The only way to stop it coming in at all is with new inner and outer rubber sills.

This is why over never understood why people say about the door cars letting water in when it has to go past the rubber door seals first. 😕

As said, without the protective film any droplets of water would fall onto the rubber door seals, via the door card, and may tend to get into the footwell.

The foam or plastic sheeting, if correctly applied, will direct the water to the inside of the door, and from there to the draining holes.

Notice that there are also small draining holes placed where the film adhesive gets in contact with the bottom part of the door. The adhesive must not cover those holes, as they will direct any droplets falling from the film to the inner part of the door and to the proper draining holes.

This approach did work for me.

• Like 1

Here's a photo with the aforementioned holes; those shouldn't be covered by the film adhesive in order to allow droplets to drain. When I did mine, I placed the adhesive immediatly under them, barely touching.

2110979021_innerdoor.thumb.jpg.e059c500300242de65d4a3a92d80b413.jpg

• Like 1

For anyone that's used the plastic sheeting DIY method, how did you handle the speaker side of the door? Presume it's just a case of allowing a bit of slack? Talking about where the foam ones are concave to allow for the depth of the speaker. 

So to cap it allllll off, I definitely have a spring gone on the passenger side, went to start it, battery on, fuel pump primed etc ...  Nadda! Starter dead! 

Need to find me a decent scrappy in Cheshire. 

25 minutes ago, Wino said:

Could be the solenoid wire/connection if you literally hear nothing when you go to crank it over. Not sure how accessible/visible it is on your engine.

Yeah had a quick look, connections look all good! Could do without it now but it is what it is! 

I've done drivers and rear passenger doors recently. As can be seen in the pics I've not blocked the holes and left the tigerseal to dry over 24 hours and added a line of waterproof tape....and somehow still getting a puddle on the door seal. 

I can only assume I need new door seals as there is no way water will be getting past the sheeting etc. 

It was whilst jetwashing the car and loaded the window edge with the hose. 

I shall be ordering new seals and hope that helps the leaks.

20210329_191621.jpg

• Like 1

Are there any signs of water in the footwell?

I would leave the door card off for a few (rainy) days and would watch closely; as an alternative, consider testing the door seals by spraying generous amounts of water, with minimal to no pressure, as jetwashing may apply too much water pressure on the door seals.

I remember my plasting sheetings also cover the large hole that is visible above the sheeting; even if it's not likely, make sure there's no water ingress.

I had issues with my front passenger door (LHD car) when it was raining or when I pressure washed it. Water drops were entering from the upper side of the door. I thought it was the rubber seal of the door but proved to be that the door was slightly hanging. So a bit of hinge adjustment at 'A' pillar and problem solved.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sirlancelotksa said:

Are there any signs of water in the footwell?

I would leave the door card off for a few (rainy) days and would watch closely; as an alternative, consider testing the door seals by spraying generous amounts of water, with minimal to no pressure, as jetwashing may apply too much water pressure on the door seals.

I remember my plasting sheetings also cover the large hole that is visible above the sheeting; even if it's not likely, make sure there's no water ingress.

The rear didn't have anything on when I took the door card off, so didn't know if it was covered or not. 

I may remove that card and pour water down the window. 

Only water in the footwell is from where its been entering through the bottom of the door. 

• 1 month later...

So it's been mega slow progress, starter, spring and mounts are all sorted. 

Only the leaking door to go, the heavy rain forced my hand yesterday with this one. I still need to line the door, but I was able to see where the water was coming from inside the door, looks like the seal on the outside between the car body and the bottom of the window is just letting water pour in. 

Trying to find replacement part numbers for that with little joy at the moment. The bottom door seal is letting water in eventually but I still think it's doing a decent enough job to not be the main cause. Thinking replace the external one described and see how it goes then.

Screenshot_2021-05-09-13-36-36-343_com.whatsapp.jpg

Screenshot_2021-05-09-13-35-24-439_com.whatsapp.jpg

IMG_20210508_090222.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators
21 hours ago, Funkoid said:

Trying to find replacement part numbers for that with little joy at the moment.

I’ve got them at home somewhere, I post them tonight. As I’m planning to do all four of these plus the seals and door cards. 

Edited by DeanVRS20VT
  • Like 1

Superstar cheers man, will get some ordered. Spoke too soon about the boot too, under the CD loader, rear wiper spray is fine so thinking there could be a split in the pipe elsewhere, for another day though. 

Always screw the right and left up with the part numbers, it's not from the drivers perspective right?

Edited by Funkoid

• 2 months later...