Skoda Superb DSG vs VW Passat DSG

I have been driving a manual 2.0 150 Superb SE Technology for the last 3 years up until Christmas. Currently I have a temporary VW Passat 1.6 diesel SE business  DSG (7 speed).

I have a 2.0 150 DSG Superb SE Technology on order, due sometime in the next month or two. 

This is the longest I have driven a DSG for and overall I’m enjoying the experience, a bit of a learning curve with the snow and ice recently but not too bad.

My question is how do the Skoda and VW systems compare? I appreciate they are the same gearbox but does they way they drive differ in the the Superb and Passat? The one comment I have heard is the the DSG in the Superb can be jerky in traffic. I don’t know if this is a common DSG annoyance or particular to the Superb. I haven’t found the Passat too bad.

I was initially concerned with pulling away from busy  junctions and roundabouts but have found knocking the DSG into sport really helps, is this the same ?

Thanks in advance

Been driving my Superb 150 diesel DSG for 4 months now and don't find it anything but smooth all the time. When the engine is cold it sometimes stays in 6th gear up to say 63mph and not having paddles I have to wait until it's warm enough to change upto 7th. However when it is warm it can change into 7th from 53mph. Overall after 2,500 miles it has averaged just over 60mpg so happy with the economy. Using the Individual mode I have the default setting in Eco so that the gearbox coasts (goes into neutral to save fuel) and the steering set to Sport which I prefer. Best economy was in the milder weather last October when I managed a 27 mile commute of 78.5mpg and I think in the spring and summer then 80mpg should be possible. Overall I prefer the 7 speed DSG to previous 6 speed manual Superb's I've owned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Isn't the DSG in the 1.6d Passat the 'dry' DSG as opposed to the 'wet' DSG in the more powerful 2.0d.

I'm assuming the 1.6d is limited to 250Nm torque, if not then it will be the same 'wet' version.

It might account for any differences you experience, even though their operation is very similar.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

Isn't the DSG in the 1.6d Passat the 'dry' DSG as opposed to the 'wet' DSG in the more powerful 2.0d.

I'm assuming the 1.6d is limited to 250Nm torque, if not then it will be the same 'wet' version.

It might account for any differences you experience, even though their operation is very similar.

I was too slow, but was about to say the same. 

I've got the wet 7 speed and the first couple of pull aways can be a bit snatchy, but OK after that. Far from bad and the rest of the changes are pretty much imperceptible. 

• Thanks 1

Never understood the jerkiness and slow reaction that many seem to say about DSGs. 

The ones I have driven and owned are brilliant. Only occasionally the gearbox is confused or bit slow to engage clutch but that's it. It's smooth, fast shifting and gives a direct feeling like a manual gearbox otherwise. 

Newer TC auto with lockups probably feels similar with added smoothness due to the TC at set off or crawl speed. 

• Thanks 1

I've gone from a 2.0l TSI Superb to a 240ps Passat diesel. Both drive very similar from a dsg gearbox perspective. Bit laggy when pulling away but as said, knocking it into sport helps a lot.

Edited by dg360

11 hours ago, KeteCantek said:

Never understood the jerkiness and slow reaction that many seem to say about DSGs. 

The ones I have driven and owned are brilliant. Only occasionally the gearbox is confused or bit slow to engage clutch but that's it. It's smooth, fast shifting and gives a direct feeling like a manual gearbox otherwise. 

Newer TC auto with lockups probably feels similar with added smoothness due to the TC at set off or crawl speed. 

Agreed. I have the 7 speed wet - no jerkyness at all,. 

The 1.6 Passat will have the dry DQ200, the Superb (and newer passat 2.0) the wet 7 speed (DQ381).

Driven both the 7speed dry and 6/7speed wet.

My experience is that the drycluth is smoother than the wet.

One example of that jerkiness (on my former car) - When closing in to a three way crossing, let the foot of the accelerator, speed drops to 15-20km/h, a lot of traffic but you have the fortune to coming up to the crossing right when there's a small gap, pressing down the accelerator to  propell your self into that gap (at least in your imagination) - but, nothing happens!? You're pushing down the pedal a little bit during this moment that seems to last forever (maybe 0,5sek or tops 1sek) and all of a sudden the car shifts into gear, but now it's to late to get into that gap, you have pressed the pedal so far down that an aggressive wheelspin that a teenager would have been proud of (snow) occurs. Before your foot lands on the brakepdal you've already started cold sweating and seen your entire life pass by in your mind...

A little bit exaggerated but something like that. Most of the time it works like a charm and there's only a few occasions that this actually is a problem and those can easily be avoided.

I read an article a few years back about gearbox types and basically said there were now 3 types.  Manual, auto (slush and cvt) and dsg (single and dual clutch).  Went on to say that you drive all three in different ways.  I think all cars with a dsg style box shouls have paddles to allow you to drop it into the right gear for occasions such as Baverhanne described.  My GTE doesnt suffer in quite the same way although I now have the transition from E to hybrid to deal with.  I have a dogbone insert waiting to go in but not convinced it'll help much.  What would help is a long press of the down paddle (like the long press on the up to put it back into auto) to get the engine running.  That way I could get more power on demand without it going .............. oh you want more power...  REVVVVVVVVV!!!!!!!

I doubt there's any difference between Skoda / VW, same boxes, made in the same factory, mounted to the same engines. Any differences will be down to the Car, but as most VW share MQB now, differences will be minor to say the least.

As others have said, differences between the different types of DSG boxes though. 

My wife has a 1.5Tdi Kamiq with a 7 speed ( I think it's 'Dry', it doesn't have 'Launch Control' anyway - no one tell her I checked). It's a beautifully smooth car to drive, utterly seamless, surprisingly thirsty for a small car though. 

I've got a 190Tdi Superb 4x4 with the older 6 speed. I'll admit its not quite as smooth, especially when cold, that might be down the diesel engine, the 4x4 or the overly firm suspension. I wouldn't call it jerky, even with a stone cold engine and -5c ambient temp it pulls away far smoother than most experienced drivers could manage with a manual, but not quite as smooth as a true auto with a torque converter.  

Where is not great is driving around town in the cold, it's pretty hilly where I live and it gets confused what gear it wants going up and down hill sometimes, most of the time you don't notice but as we're on the pilot scheme for the new 20mph limit for all residential roads (I'll give you a hint, it's a pain) 10 mins into your journey though and it's fine again. 

RE: Hesitation away of the line, I think it's down to two things, 1) in normal circumstances, warm engine, flat road, it will try to pull away in 2nd. If you're at a busy junction and need to pull away quickly, it will try second, which is pretty slow, driver thinks "this too slow!" puts foot down a bit more, Car responds by dropping to first, causing a small delay compounding it, until it flies off. I've gotten into the habit of pulling the lever back to go into Sport to fix this, always pulls of in first then and throttle response is quicker. 2) Like all autos there's no easy way to build revs before you pull off, in a diesel especially there's always a bit of a lag.  

Make no mistake, DSG can launch really, really, quickly, ludicrously so, my 4x4 can launch faster than either of my Friends RS6s, for about a car length you understand ;) and if you want to go fill pollock mode, there's always Launch Control, it feels like it would cause damage, but it supposedly doesn't I've only done it once. 

you can easily remove the lag when pulling away with a dsg,  and no need to use sport mode.

vcds or obd 11    -  steering assist - adaptations -  driving profile switchover - change incremental  to direct  :biggrin:

pulls away like a manual box now

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 310golfr said:

you can easily remove the lag when pulling away with a dsg,  and no need to use sport mode.

vcds or obd 11    -  steering assist - adaptations -  driving profile switchover - change incremental  to direct  :biggrin:

pulls away like a manual box now

If I'm honest, I tried that setting everyone was so excited about back when I had my MK7 Clubsport and the change was at best imperceptible and at worst a placebo. There'd been a debate also about if it actually does what people think it does given that the coding is found in a module that does not impact engine or throttle response but I guess if it works for you...

No idea about Diesels but on the 280/272 Petrol a pedal box absolutely transforms throttle response it's shocking how badly it is mapped as OEM. Change is so significant I am unable to drive the car stock again, feels like something below the pedal is seriously broken :D 

• Like 2

On 16/02/2021 at 19:25, MarkyG82 said:

I have a dogbone insert waiting to go in but not convinced it'll help much.  

the 034-Motorsport aluminum dogbone insert has made a MASSIVE difference for me.  Mine has the DSG6 gearbox.  There is no "clunk" of the gearbox, and the shifts r more firm/quicker.

NVH has not been compromised either.

Thanks @JR RS. I actually had a powerflex insert in my old car (2.0tdi dsg) that I really enjoyed having fitted. The GTE is a different beast. Gear change is so smooth due to the ev motor helping with rev matching. The main reason I want it is to tighten up the front end and to remove some of the slop when transitioning from ev to hybrid mode. I already have the part so it's no cost (any longer) just need to find the time to climb under the car.

• Like 1