Impending vRS 230 purchase (pre-FL)!

Hello I am very excited.

I am in the process of buying a manual 230 vRS hatchback of 2016 vintage in Moon White. It seems to be a well looked after car on low mileage. I have no opportunity to view the car so I am putting all my faith in the dealer, but so far they've been good and confidence-inspiring.

I've had a good poke around various mk3 threads on here and it seems the TSI of this era is mostly reliable, so that's good to know. 

However, if anyone knows of any particular areas to check out, I'd be really chuffed if you could let me know so I can get the dealer to have a rummage.

I nearly bought a 2017 facelift car in Candy White over Christmas but someone beat me to it. Then I nearly bought a Race Blue 220 but it turned out to be modified and I'd like to start off with a clean sheet. This 230 was a bit of a hidden gem, when the dealer sent me a walkaround video I was pretty much jumping up and down with excitement.

I'm a newbie here so here's a quick run through my car history so you can appreciate how much of a jump the 230 is compared to what I'm used to! I'll be easing myself in gently with the extra power. See if you can guess which of these I loved the most...

1994 Fiat Panda 1.0

1988 Nissan Sunny 1.3

1992 Proton GL 1.3

1988 Toyota MR2 mk1 1.6

1994 Peugeot 205 1.8 TD

2004 Daewoo Matiz 1.0

1999 Seat Toledo TDI 1.9 (110)

2007 Fiat Panda 1.3 Multijet

2012 Mitsubishi Colt Juro 1.3 Cleartec

2012 Ford Mondeo estate 1.6 Ecoboost

2016 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 (awaiting delivery)

Cheers!

Welcome.  It'll be real nice I'm sure. You've got a bit of protection with a dealer sale anyway, if it all goes pear shape, if Skoda you get the 30day exchange promise.... I'm sure it will be great.  Look over properly and in detailed fashion when you get it though, and within permissible lockdown rules drive it a bit to soak test.  The longer you leave an issue the harder it would be to return the vehicle or have implications.

Nissan Sunny?

If you're happy with the dealer and their reputation you'll be fine.  There are no issues to get wound up about (there are still naysayers about the DSG box but youwon't even have to worry about that).  Read the link that ords posted above this.

Just get it serviced regularly and it'll be a friend for life. I still miss my 220 and I sold it eight months ago.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I'll definitely raid that checklist, thanks @ords .

From that list the one I miss the most is indeed the Sunny! It didn't have a lot of go and was only a 4-speed, but it was such a sweet car. Made a nice sound and was really comfy, proper used bargain that I managed to keep going using some parts from another I found that had gone through the scrappage scheme.

The 205 was great too but had a lot of work done while I had it, brill to drive though.

My 230 will join the Mondeo for daily duties, though home-working means neither will be doing many miles for a while. I'll definitely get out for some drives to ensure the 230 is behaving itself.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Fuzzarr said:

From that list the one I miss the most is indeed the Sunny! It didn't have a lot of go and was only a 4-speed, but it was such a sweet car. Made a nice sound and was really comfy, proper used bargain that I managed to keep going using some parts from another I found that had gone through the scrappage scheme.

Ha! That was a wild shot from me.

Whilst nowhere near a VRS, my Octavia is of similar vintage and has given me no cause for concerns in 4 years with exception of fuel pressure sensors. Octavia of that age seem to be built like tanks and feel like it will last forever. Look after it, and it will give you no issues. Mine hasn’t. 

I can understand your trepidation at purchasing a car unseen in the “flesh”so to speak. 

Should be safe with a Skoda approved. Keep an eye on the coolant levels for the first couple of weeks and also signs of any leaks around the thermostat area (under the inlet manifold).

Mine is a Skoda approved and I needed:

1 x wheel bearing (NSF)

4 x new alloys (were all buckled)

1 x new thermostat housing

Thermostat leaks are common and to be honest, expected - so make sure that gets done by them.

Bearings also quite common so get it on the motorway up to speed and listen for the pulsating drone.

Thermostat and bearing were done under warranty - no real dramas.

Wheels were a pain in the hoop, as they're not warranty items - so I had 2 months of visits, kicking  off to Skoda UK and the garage I got it from - eventually they agreed (the garage) to sort it and replace the Geminis. Was a headache though! Seem really easy to bend these cheap cast wheels now, especially with such thin walled tyres - check for wheel wobble or vibrations at motorway speeds.

Apart from those niggles (that's all they are really) they're a solid motor.

PFL 230 will have the VAQ diff and I think it ought to have been serviced by now (hard to find definitive info, most reliable i could find when i looked for my car was 3yr/30k, similar to Haldex 4x4 cars)

@e-Roottoot often seems well clued in on these more 'secretive' servicing schedules Skoda sometimes have.

It took my dealer a while to figure out what I was asking for when I got mine done, so don't assume it's been done simply on the basis of having 'full skoda service history' or something like that.

• Like 1

This is great info to have, thanks. It was last serviced in November so will have been past 3 years by then, I'll have a good look at the paperwork to check it out. 

Some thorough testing and checking for the first couple of weeks then. I'm ok with this, it's pretty much what I do anyway for the first few drives.

Tempted to drop the sales exec a line to make sure these areas are checked in their prep process. It's coming to me on Tuesday but I don't mind waiting a bit longer if it means the car is bob on.

The 19s have been refurbed this week so you'd hope they'd check for buckles before getting that done.

Cheers

24 minutes ago, Fuzzarr said:

The 19s have been refurbed this week so you'd hope they'd check for buckles before getting that done.

That depends on what sort or refurb was done.  There's taking tyres off & acid dipping refurbs and then there's breaking the bead and painting in back of a van refurb. 

I've even seen refurbs where outer faces only have been done, overspray has gone through the wheel spokes and as balances weren't removed during process your then left with patches when the balances are removed.

A buckled wheel can be balanced out if only mild (so look for lots of wheel weights), if it cant be balanced out or hasn't you will soon know about it when driving at 50 ish.

Makes sure they can provide the service history of the car - its digital but they can print it out.  My Scout was full history (at 75k) when I purchased but had never had Haldex done as it wasnt on the 'plan' - it was the first thing I had done upon taking ownership.  If they say they cant show it you for GDPR etc then they are talking nonsense. 

Any questions when you see the car post them here :)

Edited by ScoutCJB

6 minutes ago, ScoutCJB said:

That depends on what sort or refurb was done.  There's taking tyres off & acid dipping refurbs and then there's breaking the bead and painting in back of a van refurb. 

I've even seen refurbs where outer faces only have been done, overspray has gone through the wheel spokes and as balances weren't removed during process your then left with patches when the balances are removed.

A buckled wheel can be balanced out if only mild (so look for lots of wheel weights), if it cant be balanced out or hasn't you will soon know about it when driving at 50 ish

True. They mentioned doing a proper job, but I think that was in relation to addressing the kerbing by re-cutting them, rather than tarting up with paint. They also mentioned it'd cost them £500, though, which sounds like plenty for a full bells-and-whistles going over. 

I'll check them out on Tuesday!

16 minutes ago, Fuzzarr said:

True. They mentioned doing a proper job, but I think that was in relation to addressing the kerbing by re-cutting them, rather than tarting up with paint. They also mentioned it'd cost them £500, though, which sounds like plenty for a full bells-and-whistles going over. 

I'll check them out on Tuesday!

Re cutting them is a bigger process than powder coat / paint so that reflects in the cost.  Interested to see how they turn out :thumbup:

Thanks, I'll be sure to share some photos etc after initial poking around.

I've requested a history printout and they said that'll be with all the other paperwork coming with the car. 

My son (3 1/2) is particularly excited for delivery day so he can see the 'scary wheels'!

1 hour ago, Fuzzarr said:

This is great info to have, thanks. It was last serviced in November so will have been past 3 years by then, I'll have a good look at the paperwork to check it out. 

Even if it hasn't been done, IIRC I was charged something like £80 at a Skoda dealer, it's not a bank breaker.

Check where the supplier meets the boot lid fro rust bubbles or signs of paint splitting. 

Have a look at the centre caps on the wheels, you might be able to negotiate a new set as they rot a fair bit.

See which tyres it has, are they mismatched etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again.

Well I've had nearly a week with the 230 now. Luckily, the Colt sold pretty quickly and for a good price, so it wasn't long before I could switch the insurance over and get going. The dealer sent me a link for some free insurance I could use for a few days, but I didn't need it in the end.

What can I say about the 230? I'm still quite blown away by it really, so 'WOW' is usually the first thing that springs to mind. The first time I gave it some real welly I was quite astounded by how quickly it was gathering pace. Awesome!

I never drove a 220 in the end, so have little to compare it to. In performance terms a 208 GTI with 200 brake is the closest I've been to this performance, but the 230 feels a lot more muscular and relentless in its power delivery.

The wheels are perfect. The condition of the car overall is fantastic actually, though the paint needs a thorough going over, it needs some clay, polish and Dodo Juice to bring some glossiness back. No dents and minimal stone chips. It's spot on inside, too. I'm really happy with the car.

I've nearly burnt through the full tank it arrived with, so will be topping up with some full-fat fuel soon. Do these have a particular preference out of BP Ultimate/Shell V Power? I think it's on standard 95 at the moment and still feels extremely healthy.

I'll share some photos soon, I've only taken some quick pics here and there so far.

Thanks again for all the comments and input.

Also it's on Pirelli P Zeros all round, I've heard nothing but bad things about Pirellis in recent years (except for the Trofeo R) and it does seem fairly low on traction a lot of the time, it has been pretty cold/greasy on the roads lately though so I'll give them a bit longer to redeem themselves.

1 minute ago, Fuzzarr said:

Also it's on Pirelli P Zeros all round, I've heard nothing but bad things about Pirellis in recent years (except for the Trofeo R) and it does seem fairly low on traction a lot of the time, it has been pretty cold/greasy on the roads lately though so I'll give them a bit longer to redeem themselves.

I switched tyres from the original Pirelli's to Michelin Pilot Sport  4S. Far better grip than the Pirelli, especially important since I had the car stage one mapped to 329 bhp. Maybe one day you will also have your motor mapped. If you think it's fast now, wait and see what fun you are going to have on a quality stage one map. I am not a boy racer either, not at 67 years old. But it's nice to have that extra power on odd occasions.  Enjoy your car mate. I just love them and this one is my second Octavia VRS TSI. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

I switched tyres from the original Pirelli's to Michelin Pilot Sport  4S. Far better grip than the Pirelli, especially important since I had the car stage one mapped to 329 bhp. Maybe one day you will also have your motor mapped. If you think it's fast now, wait and see what fun you are going to have on a quality stage one map. I am not a boy racer either, not at 67 years old. But it's nice to have that extra power on odd occasions.  Enjoy your car mate. I just love them and this one is my second Octavia VRS TSI. 

Wow, that's a fair old power gain for stage 1! Where did you get the map done? 

Did you stick to the original size for the PS4S tyres? Cheers

Just now, Fuzzarr said:

Wow, that's a fair old power gain for stage 1! Where did you get the map done? 

Did you stick to the original size for the PS4S tyres? Cheers

With the tyres I went for slightly wider. From 225 to 235 width. I had the map done in Swindon where they use Racingline maps. It was done on their rolling road to get it set up right. All the hardware on the car is still stock. 

• Like 1