Extended Warranty cost ? Superb 280

Hi - our 280 is 3 yr old in May, and we are considering the extended warranty - its the first time ever, but the  4x4 and DSG worry me.

has anyone bought the extended warranty and / or used it on their Superb ?

Cheers

David

I own two VAG cars - a Seat as well as my Superb. Each year I get an email inviting me to take out an "extended warranty" for the next year. From memory - please don't rely on this - the coverage is greater and the cost is cheaper than the well known aftermarket warranty brands. I believe  that it locks you into having the vehicle serviced by a dealer - again don't rely on this, my memory might be failing me!

Edited by 100andthirty

You are not locked into Skoda Main Dealership or Approved Repairers Servicing.  

Just to Manufacturers Recommended Servicing / Guidelines (Not Schedules).  VAT Registered, Original parts / fluids. 

Read the T&C's and see exclusions, Max claims, and the bit on known issues.    Plenty threads on Briskoda on Extended Warranties and Skoda / VW Group and others Warranties.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/481621-extended-warranty

Edited by e-Roottoot

1 hour ago, Groaver said:

Bought the same warranty last September for my 280, David.

£251.12 with a £250 excess for All component cover. 10k mileage limit.

Cheers - thats good to know - I was expecting £300 ish  so thats good news.

13 hours ago, Groaver said:

I should have said, it is not transferrable should you decide to change car within the 12 months. Then again, who'd want to? :cool:

Cheers - we wont be selling the car  :)    not for quite a few years.

• 5 months later...

Looking as this for my 280 now as well, can anyone confirm the infamous gear selector leave in park thing would be covered if it ever occurs on mine? The wording does seem to cover switches and sensors but not actual wiring, I believe the fault is usually down to the switch on the selector assembly and quite intensive/expensive to repair out of warranty?

guessing if my sunroof ever develops a leak that wouldn’t be covered as it seems to exclude bodywork which seems bizarre to me but hey ho

My 6th year cost around £340 and my gear selector in park was covered. My 7th year looks like it may cost around £640 .... I'm seriously considering taking it out although it will probably be the last time unless the 8th year is around the same ! Car has done just over 33k but have no intention of changing.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SkudMissile21 said:

Looking as this for my 280 now as well, can anyone confirm the infamous gear selector leave in park thing would be covered if it ever occurs on mine? The wording does seem to cover switches and sensors but not actual wiring, I believe the fault is usually down to the switch on the selector assembly and quite intensive/expensive to repair out of warranty?

guessing if my sunroof ever develops a leak that wouldn’t be covered as it seems to exclude bodywork which seems bizarre to me but hey ho

Sorry a bit off topic but on the subject of the infamous gear selector, I was quoted over £700 for putting it right back in March.

I decided not to bother as, apart from getting rid of an annoying message, there seemed to be no other reason to do it.

The messages then seemed to come less often and have not reappeared since May.

I think the microswitch probably seized up a bit during lockdown, when the car was used less often, but now with regular use the problem has gone away. 

19 hours ago, Nick_H said:

Sorry Skud I cant remember but yes it is peace of mind and it's doesnt take much going wrong to pay for itself. 

It works both ways, if nothing goes wrong then it is money spent on repairing another persons car for them.

All the premiums cover repairs, plus some to run the scheme, and some profit for the warranty company, so for every £1 of premium, only about three quarters will actually be spent on repairs

You dont need to be be good at maths to work out if someone claims £2000, and premiums are say £250 then about 11 other people will be paying for it and not getting any return themselves.  

Generally speaking would be better off transferring £30 per month in a deposit account, and chancing it.   

Actually more sensible to stick nearer £100 per month and using it to cover car insurance, car tax, servicing, MOT, replacement tyres etc when needed

Edited by SurreyJohn

53 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

It works both ways, if nothing goes wrong then it is money spent on repairing another persons car for them.

All the premiums cover repairs, plus some to run the scheme, and some profit for the warranty company, so for every £1 of premium, only about three quarters will actually be spent on repairs

You dont need to be be good at maths to work out if someone claims £2000, and premiums are say £250 then about 11 other people will be paying for it and not getting any return themselves.  

Generally speaking would be better off transferring £30 per month in a deposit account, and chancing it.   

Actually more sensible to stick nearer £100 per month and using it to cover car insurance, car tax, servicing, MOT, replacement tyres etc when needed

No thanks i'll pay my money and have the warranty thats the sensible thing for me to do :-)

2 hours ago, Nick_H said:

No thanks i'll pay my money and have the warranty thats the sensible thing for me to do :-)

I heard the logic of setting up a standing order for £100 every month to a deposit account from a savvy financial person, the theory was that even after paying tax, insurance, servicing, out of the fund, the average person would have £2000-2500 still in the pot when manufacturers warranty runs out at end of year 3.

Very few people would need an extended warranty when they have a car contingency fund built up over first 3 years whilst manufacturers warranty was still active.   Of course if don’t spend it, it is available as extra deposit for next car.

Wont really work though for those buying a car with little or no manufacturers warranty left, an no other financial contingency pot saved up.  

It depends on how risk averse you are and what confidence you have in the car (which to be honest can only be assessed after you've had the car a long time) plus whether you think your dealer would be supportive in case of a claim, it is not straightforward to claim.

The 280 superb is among the most complex vehicles in the Skoda line up with plenty of really expensive bits that could (and occasionally do) fail. DSG box, haldex, and electronics come to mind. A new DSG box costs several thousand pounds.

Electronics are excluded from Skoda's extended warranty. There is also a mighty big catch with the warranty purchase at 3 years old, the use of the phrase "sudden failure" which is a prerequisite of any claim and could be creatively used to deny many claims.

Note that if you purchase the extended warrany within ±30 days of the factory warranty expiring, the price is considerably less than purchasing it beyond that window. In my case the price would have doubled if I delayed.There would also be a "no claims in the first 30 days" clause come into play as well as all the usual must have been serviced on time guff.

Best read the small print and look at it from the claim handlers point of view before making a decision. 

Don't forget you'll be liable for any investigation costs if your claim is denied. Many dealers would want £90+ just to scan your car.

My 1.4tsi SEL exec manual gbx cost £186, all cover, 15,000 miles, zero excess. When I checked for a 2.0tsi it was a lot more expensive, probably because all 2.0tsi superbs have DSG. (I got a reg number from Autotrader to check)

You'll not be able to get a quote for your car until 30 days before your factory warranty expires. Maximum claims are limited unless you take the all cover option in which case its the market value of your car at the time of claim

Edited by xman

For me while I have a 4 year loan on the car (on track to be paid in 2) and having been stung a £2k bill on my mk2 superb for the clutch eating the gearbox debacle it was an outlay not worth not taking considering the aforementioned gear selector issue can cost upwards of £500-700 and that’s before you consider any dsg issues (the mk2 wasn’t dsg but you have to get my point from the previous issue!).

saving up money per month instead would never work, there’s always something I could spend that on - this way it’s a done deal so no worries.

the plan is probably to revo stage 1 it once paid for and out of warranty so that’s been put back another year for now, no problem as it’s still bloody quick really.

hopefully by the time this warranty is up any gremlins will have shown themselves and I’ll be confident to either stage 1 it and take my chances or will feel it was money well spent and will do it again like @Nick_H has each year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, xman said:

An alternative to buying the old extended warranty is the All in service and warranty offer. Designed by VAG as a counter to Toyota's Relax

Haven't read the small print yet.

Yep, that’s more reasonable at < half the two year extended warranty cost. No doubt they’ll be a restriction on the warranty claims. 

• 2 years later...