Change kph to mph on yeti display

Mtc

Hi all. I've just purchased a Yeti and I wondered if there is anybody local to Brighton who could assist me with changing the maxidot display to show the large MPH display?

Cant be done :sadsmile:

I would be delighted to be proved wrong on this one and would do it like a shot.

I programmed mine to display in KMS as I live in France, if its only kms that cannot have a larger display ignore the above and accept my apologies.

2 hours ago, Mtc said:

Hi all. I've just purchased a Yeti and I wondered if there is anybody local to Brighton who could assist me with changing the maxidot display to show the large MPH display?

Find someone with VCDS locally or a Carista unit and get them to change your car to Australian. You will then get the option to change from MPH to KPH in the Maxidot menu, but it will also alter the Maxidot display slightly when you have MPH displayed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

but it will also alter the Maxidot display slightly when you have MPH displayed.

I have heard that but cannot see any difference as the same amount of information is on each screen, it just adds an extra page to scroll through.

1605816476666-png.4818

• Like 1

My Outdoor S spec model has the maxidot, if it isn't standard then its probably because it was a local authority vehicle (possibly forestry) and had bluetooth fitted so they could bend the ear of the driver!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I knew someone who tried to have the kph changed to mpg on the bottom of the display. Main dealer said it is possible but something they're not prepared to do as it changes the original EU specification of the car and it will be deemed unroadworthy! All cars should have both mph and kph displayed and as the Yeti does not show kph on the dial it is is displayed on the maxi dot. It obviously can be done, but not by Skoda UK

46 minutes ago, Greenmonster said:

I knew someone who tried to have the kph changed to mpg on the bottom of the display. Main dealer said it is possible but something they're not prepared to do as it changes the original EU specification of the car and it will be deemed unroadworthy! All cars should have both mph and kph displayed and as the Yeti does not show kph on the dial it is is displayed on the maxi dot. It obviously can be done, but not by Skoda UK

Once modded to the large MPH display it is only a matter of un ticking an option box in the maxidot display to display KPH again, which does comply with the regs.

• Like 1

They must be capable of showing mph or kph but it doesn’t have to be at the same time, otherwise pretty much every car with a digital dashboard is illegal!  As above, it is switchable so still compliant.

20 hours ago, Greenmonster said:
20 hours ago, Greenmonster said:

I knew someone who tried to have the kph changed to mpg on the bottom of the display. Main dealer said it is possible but something they're not prepared to do as it changes the original EU specification of the car 

Was this before Brexit? 😈

• Haha 1

This "big mph" question has popped up frequently on the forum over the years.

If I'm driving, I much prefer an analogue presentation which quickly answers the question "am I going faster than X".   Even in your lower peripheral vision, you can be aware of the angle of the speedo needle.  My father's Citroen only has a "big digit" speedo display (in the car centre, out of the line of vision) which you glance at, then have to work out in your head whether the speed is too fast.  I find this  much more cumbersome.  It also means that passengers can easily see the speed, which isn't always a benefit....

If I occasionally want an accurate speed, I can look at the satnav display.

I note that even in modern "glass cockpit" aircraft displays, there are often synthesised analogue needles on scales for easy reading of critical functions at a glance.

So I don't really understand why people in the UK want a big display of MPH on their Yetis, especially if it's no more accurate than the analogue speedo. ( i.e. not very)

Over to you, "big milers".

• Like 1

I suspect that there's possibly a generational thing going on here.

Younger people are much more used to absorbing information which is presented in a Digital format - indeed, many of them are unable to read the time on an analogue watch or clock. There is also a (possibly spurious) illusion of greater accuracy - a Digital display may say (for example) 63mph, whereas an Analogue dial will at best be somewhere between 60 and 65.

(I'm no spring chicken, but I'm firmly in the Digital camp. When driving a car with both displays, I never look at the Analogue display).

• Like 3

Interesting, I find analogue displays quicker and easier to ‘read’ because you don’t actually read anything - at a glance your eye detects the position of the needle and from experience you know what that position relates to on the dial. Same with watches I don’t actually see the big hand is on the 11:00 o’clock and the little hand is nearly on the 2:00 o’clock. - I just see the relative positions of the hands on the dial and know the time. With a digital readout you actually have to read the number. Agreed it is a fine difference and either system works for me it is just that using the analogue method you don’t need to read anything and the info is gained at a glance.

As a (now ex) scuba diver used to working in very poor visibility and now with less than perfect vision I know for sure that an analogue display that you are familiar with is far better in challenging conditions and dangerous situations.

I have lost the use of my left eye which had an intraocular lens implant for close work, reading etc (monovision) I now need bifocals or reading glasses to be able to read my Garmin runners watch despite it having a bright 1cm LED display, without them, say waking up at night or when swimming I simply cannot read the time (unless my arms were double the length!) but if I had an analogue watch I would know exactly what time it was.

15 hours ago, J.R. said:

As a (now ex) scuba diver used to working in very poor visibility and now with less than perfect vision I know for sure that an analogue display that you are familiar with is far better in challenging conditions and dangerous situations.

I have lost the use of my left eye which had an intraocular lens implant for close work, reading etc (monovision) I now need bifocals or reading glasses to be able to read my Garmin runners watch despite it having a bright 1cm LED display, without them, say waking up at night or when swimming I simply cannot read the time (unless my arms were double the length!) but if I had an analogue watch I would know exactly what time it was.

Precisely, and most of us are familiar with our speedometer and watch dials so we don't actually "read" anything. Just know by familiarity the speed or time.

• Like 1