SW version on reporting bugs

sdolenec

As a pc gamer , i get regular patches to games like MS Flight sim 2020. They tell you in the patch release what they fixed and what fixes are scheduled. Wouldn't it be good to know that info for our cars

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Something has been puzzling/worrying me about the infotainment screenshots showing software versions in this thread ....

Isn't this just the software version of the infotainment NOT the other modules in the car?

If that's true, which I am 99% certain it is, then that would explain why some dealer software updates don't change the version shown on the infotainment screen - because it is OTHER modules (engine, ABS, etc.) that has been updated. The only way to know what has really been updated after a dealer software update is a before and after scan of all the modules in the car using e.g. VCDS, OBDEleven, etc.

I think we were already aware of that. At least I was. If comparing to the PC I think SW version in the sys info is like a version of Windows and other car modules are like different pieces of PC hardware/components each one having it's own drivers. Each component can be updated separately but everything needs to work together with the main system software. 

Do anybody know if video is playing if car is at hold.. for me it is just playing music but no video at all..

PS. In Golf 8 I saw that video is working.. for me "Video" tab is missing..

Edited by sdolenec

3 hours ago, TheUltraRunner said:

I think we were already aware of that. At least I was.

My impression is that you are in the minority in understanding that.

Many driver and system updates are applied to Windows without the version displayed in the system info screen changing - the same applies to cars.

What it means is that showing the infotainment software version is not a useful indicator of updates done by a dealer to the other systems - so isn't actually useful when comparing faults and fixes between different cars. Hence why I suggested that a VCDS or OBDEleven scan is actually what is needed to be able to see what the software state is of the car.

:wondering:

@PetrolDave

I'm sorry  if that is your impression. I really hope this is not what the majority of people here think. Otherwise would be best if I stop posting right now. :speechless: Since deceiving people is really not my attention. I already wrote in some other thread  about the modules having their own software and their own versions not related to SW version visible in the infotainment. Unfortunately the SW and HW versions are the only versions we can compare since others are not easily visible. And in my opinion, upgrading of the main infotainment software (mainly from 1788 to 1803) helped reducing errors quite a lot to quite a few people (not only on this forum).

But all these are just speculations. I'm by no mean any kind of expert and I don't have any insight on how these updates really work. I'm just gathering information from other forums and FB groups and try to put together and write down what I think. 

I 100% agree with you about the VCDS and OBD scans. But most owners (including me) don't have access to that thus not really useful at the moment.

Unfortunately VCDS can't open all modules on new Octavia (waiting for the new VCDS version). I will post my modules with versions as soon as I find my old laptop with windows.

• Like 1

You may be interested to know that I took my car into my Main Dealer today for some warranty work ( Sat Nav wouldn't load) to be told that there was a re-call on my car for 2 "Software" updates. 

5 hours ago, sdolenec said:

Do anybody know if video is playing if car is at hold.. for me it is just playing music but no video at all..

PS. In Golf 8 I saw that video is working.. for me "Video" tab is missing..

Find answer to my question:

The driving mode can be unlocked..

1 hour ago, omadon said:

Unfortunately VCDS can't open all modules on new Octavia (waiting for the new VCDS version).

It can so long as you have either a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET and run the latest version of VCDS (which is free to download).

Posts on the public part of the Ross-Tech forum exist of the Golf 8 - which is basically the same car (and there are many more posts in the non-public section, but I can't say any more than that due to a non-disclosure agreement).

Edited by PetrolDave

2 hours ago, TheUltraRunner said:

I 100% agree with you about the VCDS and OBD scans. But most owners (including me) don't have access to that thus not really useful at the moment.

But posting infotainment versions gives an incorrect impression that this gives a complete picture of the software version(s) of the car - at least that's how I'm reading the majority of posts in this forum?

What's better? - incomplete and possibly misleading information or no information? It could be argued that no information is better than misleading information based solely on infotainment version numbers?

28 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

But posting infotainment versions gives an incorrect impression that this gives a complete picture of the software version(s) of the car - at least that's how I'm reading the majority of posts in this forum?

What's better? - incomplete and possibly misleading information or no information? It could be argued that no information is better than misleading information based solely on infotainment version numbers?

I see your point. It's possible people got that kind of impression. And yes, sometimes no information is better than misleading one. 

This certainly wasn't my intention. I apologize to all the people who thought like that.

• Like 1